• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What wine did you buy today?

KD1191

I love to see the results of fellow eGulleters' liquor store runs in the Spirits & Cocktails forum, so figured a similar wine thread could be fun.

Today, I made a brief trip to Wine Library in Springfield, NJ as I needed a bottle of Champagne for a small celebration, and ended up walking out with:

NV Pol Roger Brut Réserve Champagne (x2)

2009 Domaine Michel Goubard et Fils Bourgogne Côte Chalonnaise Mont Avril

2009 Mount Eden Vineyards Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Santa Cruz Mountains
2012 Domaine des Terres Dorées (Jean-Paul Brun) Fleurie

Pol Roger Brut is my favorite for widely available, relatively budget friendly Champagne, and having a second bottle in the house will save me another trip at some point in the future. I've had the Goubard before, and it's perfectly fine village-level Burgundy. The store has it at $19.99, which seems to always get me to toss a bottle in the cart. The Mount Eden was a bit of a splurge, but I've been interested in learning more about the Santa Cruz Mountains AVA and have been mentally planning a trip down that way since reading the interview with Bob Varner in Loam Baby #2. And, well...it'll be Beaujolais Nouveau day before we know it, so I figured we should have a decent bottle on hand to swap for any of the stuff that an ill-informed guest might try to bring to the table.

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

IMG_1562.jpg

Haven't bought any wines recently - but was given this as a thank you for bringing in the mail for a neighbour.  To me getting all the cherry tomatoes off their plants while they were gone was quite thanks enough!

Think I might just put this over on the thread from earlier this year about picking up a bottle of wine with a blindfold.

WTSO had a 2007 Astralis for sale over the weekend at a nice discount. I couldn't resist. Can't send a pic because it's going straight to storage.

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

• 3 weeks later...

Ordered some liquor and added a few bottles of fine, but mostly unremarkable wine in order to reach free shipping:

2008 Bodega Classica Rioja Hacienda López de Haro Crianza
2010 Llopart Cava Leopardi Rosé Brut Reserva
2010 Mas Martinet Priorat Menut
2013 Alpha Zeta Soave
2013 Selbach Riesling Incline

True rye and true bourbon wake delight like any great wine...dignify man as possessing a palate that responds to them and ennoble his soul as shimmering with the response.

DeVoto, The Hour

At a local store, found a bottle that we really enjoyed at a restaurant during our trip to Sonoma this past spring:

2010 Limerick Lane Zinfandel (Sonoma County).

Also, signed up for the wine club from Holdredge Wines...not something I planned on doing, but have been so consistently enjoying bottles of pinot from the case we picked out at the winery, that it was time to restock. So, I'll be getting a shipment soon that will include:

2011 Holdredge Pinot Noir Selection Massale (Russian River Valley)

2012 Holdredge Pinot Noir (Russian River Valley)
2012 Holdredge Pinot Noir "The True" (Sonoma Coast)
2012 Holdredge Pinot Noir Bucher Vineyard (Russian River Valley)
2012 Holdredge Pinot Noir Mazie Rose (Russian River Valley) x2

DeVoto, The Hour

With the weather cooling off, my fall allocation from Littorai has finally shipped:

2012 Littorai The Haven Vineyard Sonoma Coast Pinot Noir x2
2012 Littorai Savoy Vineyard Anderson Valley Pinot Noir x2
2013 Littorai Les Larmes Anderson Valley Pinot Noir x2

Reading some of the early reviews, I think I may need to place another order for more of the Les Larmes and some of their Sonoma Coast appellation Pinot.

DeVoto, The Hour

I splurged on a couple bottles of red burgundy, 2007 Domaine Frederic Esmonin Mazy-Chambertin Grand Cru. My vendor says this wine is still drinking young, and needs at least another year to mature. So the bottles will go to the back of my wine closet for awhile. Other recent purchases, 2011 Chateau de Puligny-Montrachet Bourgogne Blanc ‘Clos du Chateau’, a white burgundy grown in a biodynamic vineyard just outside the fabled Puligny Montrachet appellation. Almost there...so-oo close. Also 2013 Matthiasson Chardonnay, Linda Vista Vineyard, Oak Knoll, Napa, another one of those reformist California chardonnays. Only neutral oak and no malo-lactic fermentation. I can hardly wait to try it. I also picked up some 2011 Kofererhof Riesling, Valle Isarco, Alto Adige that was on sale. I'm not much of a Riesling drinker, but I do love Alto Adige wines, so why not.

I wish I could tell you what these wines taste like. But I've been working nonstop on project deadlines, finishing my most recent deadline at 3AM on the day the project was due. (Hence my conclusion that I deserve Grand Cru red burgundy for my efforts. ) The new wines will have to wait, since I'm working evenings these days, with no wine at dinner. Personally, I think the material would improve under the influence of alcohol, but my clients would probably disagree. :biggrin:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Went out looking for whiskey, but came home with wine...a baker's dozen, in fact.

California:

2012 AHA Bebame Cabernet Franc/Gamay Blend
2012 Flowers Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast
2011 Jenner Pinot Noir Sonoma Coast

France:
2012 Domaine des Terres Dorées Moulin-à-Vent
2012 Domaine Costal Chablis Les Truffières
2012 Beauvignac Coteaux du Languedoc Picpoul-de-Pinet
2010 Château d'Aurilhac Haut-Médoc Red Bordeaux
2009 Château Tour St. Joseph Haut-Médoc Red Bordeaux
2007 Château Larose-Trintaudon Haut-Médoc Red Bordeaux

Spain:

2013 Eguren Selección 

2009 Ramirez Rioja Crianza

Chile: 
2012 Casa Silva Carménère Los Lingues
2011 Carmen Carménère Gran Reserve

DeVoto, The Hour

• 1 month later...
NV Savart Champagne L'accomplie

2007 Agrapart & Fils Champagne Minéral

2008 Domaine de la Noblaie Chinon Les Chiens-Chiens

2009 Fisher Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Mountain Estate

2011 Carmen Carménère Gran Reserve Apalta

2012 Marc Plouzeau Château de la Bonneliere Chinon Les Cornuelles

Stocking up for the holidays...the Fisher fills a hole in a vertical I'm planning to taste through over Christmas (2006-2010). At $13, the Carmen Carménère has one of the best QPRs I've found in some time.

DeVoto, The Hour

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, I bought a bottle of Strawberry Wine today. I stay close to a strawberry producing area hillstation - Mahabaleshwar. A canadian entreprenuer has come here and set-up a commercial strawberry wine business. The wine is called kingberry - Its really nice and heady:) made my evening so romantic with my girl.

• Like 1

I don't regularly buy wine, apart from the odd bottle of cheap supermarket rose for everyday summer drinking when we've run out! More serious everyday drinking wines come as regular boxes, we have a mixed white case from Tanners (http://www.tanners-wines.co.uk/) and a mixed Wine without Fuss case from the Wine Society (http://www.thewinesociety.com/) which is a fantastic deal if you live in the UK (it's a co-operative society and you pay a one off membership fee to join, but we made that back in the first case we bought from them). 

Both have very good selections. We also occasionally buy from Yapp Bros (  https://www.yapp.co.uk   ) and our most recent natural wine purchase was from ( http://www.lescaves.co.uk/lescaves-home ) which has some very interesting wines on their list. I'm itching to try some of the Georgian wines.

More serious wines generally come from ( http://www.markhaisma.co.uk/ ). We've been buying off his list for a few years so get a decent amount of choice.

• Like 1