• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corned chicken breast (chicken ham)

FeChef

3 hours ago, rotuts said:

here is a nice Meat-Glue thread from eG

look at the pictures !

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/87239-adventures-with-transglutaminase/

still can't find the Pork-Roll post.

rats.   that got me interested in it ,

and i was going to do the same.

SV  buy itself gets you 80 - 90 % there

The transglutaminase portion of this discussion has already passed, but...is this the topic you were looking for?

Pork Reconstructed 

• Thanks 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

@Margaret Pilgrim

"  You are really fancy-shmancy "

thank you form understanding this

and mentioning this

here and now

I am indeed

notsp much

F-S y

but more or less

a Theoretician 

of the very old school

Ideas i have  

many decent and easy

so I move from there

Im sorry i did not understand

@Margaret Pilgrim  

you were so familiar w twine

excellent I think !

7 hours ago, rotuts said:

here is a nice Meat-Glue thread from eG

look at the pictures !

https://forums.egullet.org/topic/87239-adventures-with-transglutaminase/

still can't find the Pork-Roll post.

rats.   that got me interested in it ,

and i was going to do the same.

SV  buy itself gets you 80 - 90 % there

It was me! Ironic, everyone is talking about saftey using meat glue, and i was the one advocating using higher temps for saftey reasons with deboned and decontructed pork. You preferred 130F 😨

Edited by FeChef (log)

@#FeChef 

after all these years 

almost 7 now

that PorkRoll is one of the most impressive things Ive seen here

and the end result :

post-71070-0-97211100-1357185695_thumb.jpg.ca43d9affa0e29b0039f5ed847fae9da.jpg

was outstanding.     there are many impressive Pate's  here , esp in crust

but the PorkRoll   was something I myself might be able to make.

I still think 130.1 F   for long e tough is fine.   

an rare pork    > 130 F   is delicious.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, rotuts said:

@#FeChef 

after all these years 

almost 7 now

that PorkRoll is one of the most impressive things Ive seen here

and the end result :

post-71070-0-97211100-1357185695_thumb.jpg.ca43d9affa0e29b0039f5ed847fae9da.jpg

was outstanding.     there are many impressive Pate's  here , esp in crust

but the PorkRoll   was something I myself might be able to make.

I still think 130.1 F   for long e tough is fine.   

an rare pork    > 130 F   is delicious.

It was delicious indeed. Believe it or not but pork shoulder is very juicy and melt in your mouth tender at 150F for 16 hours. Its still easily sliceable. Any longer or any lower in temp it will go from perfect to too chewy, or fall apart. 130F might be good for pork tenderloin or lean pork loin.

re: meat glue

The natural proteins excreted via curing will go a long way to naturally bind — never rinse!!!

Here's some "Poor Man's Bacon" that I made — this particular batch some years ago — natural binder only!

The job of the butcher twine is done.

It's a rolled pork butt crown.

Bacon.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

• 2 months later...

I've never gotten into meat curing, and this thread piqued my interest. Tried my hand at @FeChef's recipe but I suspect I got my ratios off and made a weaker brine. If it's supposed to be ham-like, I definitely did something wrong. It's delicious, but I wouldn't mistake it for anything but smoked chicken lunchmeat. I also didn't use any meat glue, so there's a tendency for slices to separate where the two breasts met. Makes for a tasty lunch, regardless.

IMG_9350.thumb.jpg.c57e199c3f25984af34844be7d678e03.jpg

• Like 4

12 hours ago, mumkin said:

I've never gotten into meat curing, and this thread piqued my interest. Tried my hand at @FeChef's recipe but I suspect I got my ratios off and made a weaker brine. If it's supposed to be ham-like, I definitely did something wrong. It's delicious, but I wouldn't mistake it for anything but smoked chicken lunchmeat. I also didn't use any meat glue, so there's a tendency for slices to separate where the two breasts met. Makes for a tasty lunch, regardless.

IMG_9350.thumb.jpg.c57e199c3f25984af34844be7d678e03.jpg

Id say you either didn't add enough cure#1, or didn't brine long enough. You really don't even need to use liquid smoke to get that hammy flavor. Enough cure#1 + time should be enough to do it.

I used Morton’s Tender Quick instead of Cure #1 (I thought at 20g/500ml/1 lb) and brined it for two days.

I picked up a few breasts at the butcher shop this afternoon, so I’ll give it another go tomorrow, measure mindfully, and give it three days. Even if it’s not ham-like, it’s novel having lunchmeat around 😀.  

Edited by mumkin (log)
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, mumkin said:

I used Morton’s Tender Quick instead of Cure #1 (I thought at 20g/500ml/1 lb) and brined it for two days.

I picked up a few breasts at the butcher shop this afternoon, so I’ll give it another go tomorrow, measure mindfully, and give it three days. Even if it’s not ham-like, it’s novel having lunchmeat around 😀.  

I just made John some chicken ham sandwiches on homemade bread with chipotle mayo.  He likes them a lot.

• Like 3

I have a half-turkey in the freezer I was planning on dissecting to smoke the breast. How do you think it'd be to cure it and then smoke it? Do I need to debone it before I do that?

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

15 hours ago, kayb said:

I have a half-turkey in the freezer I was planning on dissecting to smoke the breast. How do you think it'd be to cure it and then smoke it? Do I need to debone it before I do that?

cure the leg for 4 days and smoke it. remove the breast from the breast plate and cure that for 3-4 days as well, then smoke it. Smoked turkey legs are amazing.