• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Corned chicken breast (chicken ham)

FeChef

thanks.  

if you like this, and like Turkey, maybe that'a another way to go.

this 'looks' to me, finely sliced as above as a fantastIc 'starter' item for a Custom 4 star sandwich.

soup  would be optional, of course.

thanks.  

if you like this, and like Turkey, maybe that'a another way to go.

this 'looks' to me, finely sliced as above as a fantastIc 'starter' item for a Custom 4 star sandwich.

soup  would be optional, of course.

Turkey cost more. Especially if you buy just the breast. I can get individually vacuum packaged boneless skinless chicken breast for 1.99/lb from Wegmans. Thats an everyday sale. Seems the cheapest option since there is no waste.

excellent points.

I sure hope you 'tease' out the tendon on the smaller muscle, and w a boning knife get rid of the thinner tendon on the larger muscle

Ive been making various CkBr concoctions for some time.  my 'Strike Point' is 1.77  

:raz:

that's as cheap as SkLsCkBr go

Im in no hurry.  I have at least several doz. both plain and stuffed in the SV Freezer.

Turkey goes for whole around thankgiving for 49 cents an LBS.

I used to get as many as I could 'process'  ie bone out and make stock. dark meat SV  Breast SV etc

i enjoyed the "Kinfe Work" etc.

I hope to have some freezer space this Thanks.

consider it.

• 5 years later...
On 9/9/2014 at 7:45 PM, FeChef said:

I gave my wife a slice. She could not believe it was chicken.

@FeChef  Have you made this again?  I'l like to try it if you could give me the instructions, including how much and what wood flavour liquid smoke you used.  Thank you.

you can get Corned Turkey Br 

at some mainstream supermarket 

' Deli's '

ie the place they slice meat for your sandwiches.

ConAgra or AgraCon use Turkey Br as they are lager.

its a very interesting cut

but for me the extra NaCl  that this requires

commercially or Home Made

misses a point to me, and nobody me:

NaCl you use at home from fresh ingredients 

is different than Commercial Doses

or hoping to make a corned item 

for safe keeping.

I do purchase Commercial Corned Beef

a few weeks before St.P's day

as it see cheap  

then SV'd it ,   and

fro me only , nice it thin , and in Ice Water

remove some of the salt.

tastes better for me

and I some comes cold smoke it after the 

SV bath.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

@FeChef  Have you made this again?  I'l like to try it if you could give me the instructions, including how much and what wood flavour liquid smoke you used.  Thank you.

6 years ago, going to be hard to remember. No i haven't made it since. Ive moved on to real smoked Turkeys and Turkey Breasts. But thats a whole other animal literally and figuratively. As far as what wood flavor the liquid smoke was, it had to be Wrights Hickory because its the only brand i buy. 

As far as instructions, I just trussed two large boneless skinless breats with the thick ends opposit to make a round cylinder shape, brine in 500g of water, 20g of morton tender quick and 1 tsp of liquid smoke for 48 hours. Sous vide at 140F for 3-4 hours.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, FeChef said:

6 years ago, going to be hard to remember. No i haven't made it since. Ive moved on to real smoked Turkeys and Turkey Breasts. But thats a whole other animal literally and figuratively. As far as what wood flavor the liquid smoke was, it had to be Wrights Hickory because its the only brand i buy. 

As far as instructions, I just trussed two large boneless skinless breats with the thick ends opposit to make a round cylinder shape, brine in 500g of water, 20g of morton tender quick and 1 tsp of liquid smoke for 48 hours. Sous vide at 140F for 3-4 hours.

Thank you.  I have the liquid smoke but I don't have any Morton's TQ,  I do have pink salt.  Do you happen to know if I can sub equal amounts of that for the MTQ?

Edited by ElsieD (log)

2 hours ago, ElsieD said:

Thank you.  I have t hff e liquid s oke but I don't have any Morton's TQ,  I do have pink salt.  Do you happen to know if I can sub equal amounts of that for the MTQ?

I had to do this translation once a upon a time, and I believe that I recall that pink salt is much more concentrated than Mortons.  Yes, Mortons contains. .5% sodium nitrate (which you don't want in a quick cure anyway) and .5% sodium nitrite.  Pink salt, on the other hand, contains 6.25% sodium nitrite.

• Confused 1

There's a TQ-equivalent recipe here, and probably on many other similar forums:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/tender-quick-substitute-with-prague-powder.261212/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Here is some more useful information. 

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

@ElsieD

Ok, So, If you are brining 1lb of chicken, and using 500g of water, you will need 2.38g of Cure#1 , or just round that off to 1/2 tsp of cure#1. But now, you need to add 20g of salt, or if you want to really break it down (nice way of saying @n@l) subract 2.38g of salt from 20g.

Hope this helps, I dont usually stress my brain this much, and its hurting over this, so a thanks would be nice. :P

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hell, now I'm intrigued. Plenty of chicken breast in the freezer. May have to try this. Thanks for the details and math, @FeChef. Your brain may hurt; mine would have run completely off the rails.

• Haha 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

3 minutes ago, gfweb said:

Seems to be done more with duck breast..."duck pastrami" shows up on charcuterie boards now and then.

I have done both but I’ve always thought of the chicken version as being ham for people like me who don’t especially like ham. 

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I mixed the brine up tonight and I used kosher salt.  I assume that is the salt to use?

Don't think it matters if you are dissolving it.  Kosher salt is large grained and good for finishing a meat. Otherwise salt is salt and one is a good as another on a weight basis. On a volume basis, table salt will fit more grains in a spoon than kosher, so a tbsp of table salt has more NaCl than one of kosher salt

Edited by gfweb (log)
  • Thanks 1

We are eating chicken ham sandwiches with chipotle mayo for lunch.  That stuff is seriously good.  It has  a mild smoky flavour and is very tender and  moist.  I cooked it sous vide at 145F for 2 hours.  I'll be making it again.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, ElsieD said:

I just put on 4 more chicken breats to brine.😱

Glad you like. If you find the smoke flavor a bit too subtle, add another tsp of liquid smoke, it wont hurt. When i made it, i thought it could use a bit more, but it was still great and gave it that smoked ham flavor. Another suggestion is don't truss them together until they are done brining, it should speed up and intensify the flavor. I used meat glue in my experiment so i trussed them using saran wrap before brining as it would have affected the bond if i brined before using the meat glue.

Edited by FeChef (log)

11 hours ago, FeChef said:

Glad you like. If you find the smoke flavor a bit too subtle, add another tsp of liquid smoke, it wont hurt. When i made it, i thought it could use a bit more, but it was still great and gave it that smoked ham flavor. Another suggestion is don't truss them together until they are done brining, it should speed up and intensify the flavor. I used meat glue in my experiment so i trussed them using saran wrap before brining as it would have affected the bond if i brined before using the meat glue.

Yes, I added maybe a quarter teaspoon extra to these two batches.  I think you can overdo the smoked bit but as good as the first batch is, a thought a bit more smoke was in order.

• Like 1