• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Maple Syrup Caramel

ChocoMom

I've had a few requests for maple syrup caramels. This is a new one for me.  Anyone had any successful experiences with this, or words of wisdom before I embark on this adventure?  My plan was to replace half of the corn syrup portion with locally produced, grade A maple syrup. Does that sound about right?    (I also had requests for a honey-caramel, so I plan to use the same formula- replacing half the corn syrup with honey.)

I'm not afraid to try new things, but this could be a costly little experiment if I screw it up.   Any help or wisdom you'd care to impart would be greatly appreciated!!!  Thanks, in advance. :smile:

Andrea

-Andrea

A 'balanced diet' means chocolate in BOTH hands. :biggrin:

I've made both honey and maple caramels, and I simply replace the corn syrup with the other liquid sugar.  Since maple syrup is a bit thinner, I use a little extra, figuring some of the water will boil off.  Though it sounds like your recipe is either much larger or a different ratio than mine, you might want to experiment with a tiny batch to see if you want to replace more than half of the corn syrup.  IIRC, I use something like 700g sugar, 600g cream, 170g liquid sugar (glucose, lyle's golden syrup or honey, 200g+ for maple), 150g butter for a 9" square pan, yield 90 caramels.

Thank you so much for suggestions, Pastrygirl! 

I haven't quite figured out the metric conversion for the whole recipe. Its one of those older ones that's been "written" in my head for a while. (And, I've tweeked it a few times to reach that perfect texture and flavor. I really need to get all that down on paper!)  

Sounds like, for now- I need to whittle this down, and try something small first. Off to the kitchen! :smile:

Thanks again for your help with this!!! Much appreciated!

Andrea

• Like 1

-Andrea

Well, I just sorta ran with it after I read Pastrygirl's advice. It turned out FABULOUS! :biggrin:    The thing that amazed me about it was absolutely NO specks in the caramel...not even on the bottom of the pan! I was in total disbelief, because even with the original recipe I'd still get a few specks. The texture was the same as the original- very silky, no graininess, doesn't stick to the teeth (I love that!).  I tweeked the original recipe to only use half the water for this one. Other than that, it worked exactly the same. I am so grateful for your suggestion!!! THANK YOU!

Janeer, I will heed your advice for the next time around. I got going on it before you posted. And, the syrup producer lives right down the road from me, so I can get the grade B or C directly from him. Thank you!

You know, I was really tempted to do the honey caramel last night too, but my feet were killing me after chasing cattle all day--and I could stand no longer. That might be a project for this afternoon or on Monday. I will post once I get that one done, too.

Thank you again for all your expertise! It is very much appreciated!

Andrea

• Like 1

-Andrea

what temperature do you need to cook that to? Sounds like a delicious thing to make this weekend :D

I cook mine to about 255F, also add salt and often vanilla bean.  I caramelize the sugar separately then add the warmed remaining ingredients and cook to temp.