• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Just Got a 7qt Kitchen Aid, Any Precautions Before Use?

minas6907

Hello all.

Ive realized its been a long time since ive started a new topic, and this is something that has been on my mind. Im going to be getting married at the end of the month, and we just had our wedding shower. Amoung the diffs was a beautiful 7qt kitchen aid, which I was stoked to get. I also just moved, so the apartment is still being put together, so its not in use currently, but I had a question.

I seem to remember on another thread discussing stand mixers, it was mentioned that when you get a new kitchen aid, it shouldn't be run at full capacity from the start. I recall that someone mentioned letting it run periodically for some minutes on low speed to distribute the oil around the gears, or something along those lines. Is there any validity to that? Im just curious because someone had mentioned it, and im a little overly paranoid about my new toy, so just looking for advice from someone that knows about the insides of the machines.

On a seperate note, I was a bit bummed when the whisk attachment was not in the box, but Sur La Table quickly took care of that.

I just got another new kitchen aid about two months ago, I let the gears run for 5 mins on 1st speed, then 5 mins on 2nd speed.  My boss mention to me afterwards I used add a little grease to it if I was using it more for softer batters rather than doughs, he swears on it.  So far it has work great with no problems with the axles skipping.  My other kitchen aid which I have had for nearly 17 years is still working great, but I also grease it once a month. 

Is the 7qt a Professional model or standard household?

Just be sure to adjust the beater/wisk height before running it.  I got a 6 qt from Costco and it could not be adjusted correctly - the beater hit the bowl regardless.  Had to take it back.  

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

If you have the same 7 qt. mixer I got a few months ago, congratulations. It has all metal gears instead of older ones that have some nylon gears. It runs quieter and has a longer warranty too. I really don't think running it to distribute the oil is vital, but it won't hurt anything if you do.   If you need to adjust the bowl to beater clearance, check the booklet that came with it.

Tthere is a screw on the neck for doing this.  Also never knead bread above the number 3 setting. 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1

I had a curious problem with my KitchenAid, which is now probably 20 years old.  After it was in use for a long (but not hugely long) time it would drip oil/grease into whatever I was mixing.  I contacted KA and got a very unsatisfactory answer:  "Don't worry, the grease is food-safe."  It was a gift, and as I had no idea where it came from--and didn't really use it that much--I just went on using it, watching carefully if the mixing time was substantial.  The dripping has mostly stopped now, but occurred again a few weeks ago.  So my recommendation would be to watch for this issue.  Regardless of how safe the grease is, I suspect you don't want it in your baked goods--or, in my case, in my Montélimar (white) nougat.