• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 5)

Shelby

Magazine and 101 Creations. You are welcome to borrow the YAM it is in. 

I'd love to. Not sure when I'd find the time exactly with school being back, but it'd be worth checking out anyway.

I need to return your other magazines and books too!

p.s. Have you seen Alleno's new book Ma Cuisine Francais? Over 1,200 pages, 500 recipes, and only(!) 1,500 Euros. Apparently a US edition is coming out by the end of the year but haven't heard much about it besides it will be smaller. No idea what that means. Dimensions, length...price?

Edited by Robenco15 (log)

Chili with toppings was supper tonight.

DSCN1793_zpsd2f54ad1.jpg

Toppings
sour cream
Avocado 
thinly sliced green onions
 slice or diced fresh jalapeno
green olives, halved
fresh lime wedges
sour cream 
grated monterey jack
red beans
saltines
corn chips
Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 6

Rice congee.

Peanut oil, finely julienned ginger (lots), chopped smashed garlic (generous), short-cut pork spare ribs (cut into single riblets), salt, ja choi (榨菜; a sort of preserved mustard stem), water, simmer, small de-stemmed dried Chinese mushrooms (fa koo type; 花菇); simmer; long grain rice, simmer; cut-up fried tofu puffs, simmer.  Eaten w/ freshly deep-fried sliced shallots, sliced scallions, chopped coriander leaves.  Redmond salt.

DSCN2697a_800.jpg

• Like 7

20140917_172146_zpsb2299b3e.jpg

Apple pork pan,  it is a Viking  dish, normally serve with rye bread or möse  ( similar  of a savoury French toast) but we didnt have that at home, so it became  potatoes, which I well know they didnt have back then. It is really lovely and easy to make and  the smell makes me happy

• Like 5

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Blue wing teal season began last Saturday.  Very tender and flavorful ducks, they are.  One of our favorites to eat.

IMG_0011.JPG

My husband plucked these and breasted the rest.  The breasts and guts are in a bag in the fridge.  I think we will fry them later this week.  Please excuse the ugly pan.  It's over 80 years old and my husband has a large attachment to it lol.

photo 1.JPG

Marinated in Dale's, garlic and pepper and stuffed with bay leaf and onions

photo 2.JPG

My husband did these on the grill.  Crappy picture, sorry.  I hope you can see how tender the meat is.  Even the legs were good.

photo 3.JPG

• Like 16

Blue wing teal season began last Saturday.  Very tender and flavorful ducks, they are.  One of our favorites to eat.

attachicon.gifIMG_0011.JPG

My husband plucked these and breasted the rest.  The breasts and guts are in a bag in the fridge.  I think we will fry them later this week.  Please excuse the ugly pan.  It's over 80 years old and my husband has a large attachment to it lol.

Is there a reason why you line the ducks up in a row? :-)

A friend of mine has a plucking machine. It takes seconds.

dcarch

• Like 3

Lovely meals everyone. Been awhile since I posted something.

Basic weekday meal. Fish and vegetables. Steal head trout with sides of black eyed peas and roasted brussels. Used the Momofuku dressing on the sprouts and last nights vinaigrette on the black eyes

2e8214cd0d4ae3bc80f790826e7af292.jpg

• Like 7

Great meals, everyone!

Back at teaching, so it's been hectic the last couple of weeks. Fall-like weather had set in, and warm comfort foods filled the need...

Got my bi-annual Kaffir lime leaves windfall from my optometrist, so it was Thai Chicken Curry with tri-coloured baby taters and bak choy. Used up the last of Thai basil from my pallet garden.

Thai Chicken CloseUp0685.jpg

Picked up a new item at Safeway for a quick curry. It was ok...needed more cumin for our taste:

PatakSauce3736.jpg

I used cubed top sirloin for the meat.

PatakBeef3738.jpg

One of the other supermarkets had lovely cod in the case. I tried to make it a little healthier than battered fish'n'chips although that's what we really wanted. :rolleyes:  Brushed the cod with Kraft Mango Chipotle salad dressing ( my favourite of bottled dressings) and breaded the cod with fine panko and unsweetened coconut. Started on the stove and finished in the oven.

CoconutChitpoleMangoCod0010.jpg

At last, a sunny summery day - dry enough to use the Big Easy! Coated a chicken with Emeril's Original BAM Essence and 50 minutes later - crispy delicious skin on a moist just-done chicken...

BigEasyALaEmerial0023.jpg

• Like 11

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Yes. The jars of Patak paste are definitely better. This had everything in the packet. Didn't even need to add liquid, so it was one step convenience. I am well stocked with various Patak pastes in the jar.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I like Patak and keep it around, but in side by side tastings I've found I prefer Maya Kaimal sauces when I can find them. The Maya Kaimal Chicken Tikka Masala is our house favorite. Maya Kaimal doesn't seem to be as widely distributed as Patak's.

Dejah, that cod looks excellent. We've been on (entirely too often) a fried fish-and-chips meal. Thanks for a good-looking alternative.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

thanks S. for the tip  there is actually a small store only a few miles from me that carries (some of ?) them

Ill take a peak.

whole foods seems to have them, but I have to check to see if my Shots are UpToDate first.

• Like 2

After my old slow cooker broke down  several years and going without one, I got one today and did a chuck roast with carrots and turnips.  I also did some corn cut off the cob (because Cassie does not like it on the cob) as well as some mushrooms and gravy made with some of the juice in the slow cooker.  The picture was an after-thought. 

DSCN1799_zps2b1d1fec.jpg

• Like 15

Love lamb shanks! And who could resist pizza for breakfast?

Sobeys has prime rib on for $6.99 / lb. Sterling Silver was $9.99 / lb. Went cheap tonight for the two of us, and the roast turned out nicely.

My gardening friend gave me a bag of Shishito peppers. I've never seen them before. Instead of the sautee in olive oil, I threw them into the beef fat then sprinkled with lemon juice and Montreal steak spice (no sea salt in house at the moment). They were fun to eat, a bright taste, and a couple actually had some heat!

PrimeRib&ShishitoPeppers0025.jpg

• Like 13

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Shelby: Just taking time to go back to read earlier posts. Had to laugh when I saw your "teals" all "in a row" as dcarch said.. The white towel made them appear to be in a coffin, ready for "viewing"! :laugh:

hui: Great idea using tofu puffs in jook. I'll have to remember that when I don't have yu tiu (deep fried long donuts) on hand. I always put ginger in my jook but I've never had garlic in mine. I am sure you 'd never get a cold!

• Like 1

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Dejah, heh.  Well, at times I'm sure *certain* folks would keep their distance from me after a meal redolent with the crushed bulbs of an Allium species.

I don't often have "yow char kwai" with me either.  I don't usually eat them with jook/chook/congee myself; I do it with Bak Kut Teh on occasion.  Actually I was going to add either "pei tan" or "harm tan" into this last batch of congee but I forgot about it...

Bak Kut Teh.

• Water, pork baby back ribs (cut into single ribs), two whole heads of garlic (Siberian Red) parchments & etc intact, dried Angelica sinensis root slices, dried Polygonatum odoratum root slices, dried Codonopsis pilosula roots, a lightly crushed black cardamom pod, dried longan meat, dried “black jujubes” (黑棗) (which is actually a kind of prune), dried tangerine peel, bring to a simmer.  Skim.  Simmer.  Dried star anise pods, cassia pieces, whole cloves (all generous amounts), crushed whole white peppercorns, light soy sauce (“sang chau”) [Kimlan] (i.e. I skipped the oyster sauce and dark soy sauce for this batch – which keeps the broth “lighter” in both taste and color).  Simmer.  Soy puffs [Nature’s Soy].  Simmer till done. 

The combinations of the herbs for my Canto-Hoklo BKT varies in proportions or in additional stuff or swapping out of this-and-that for other this-and-that each time I make it.  :-)

Wong nga pak (Napa cabbage) “stir-fried” w/ just sea salt, *very* hot oil.

• Basmati rice, cooked w/ sliced shallots deep-fried in turmeric-infused oil.

DSCN2715a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 3

We needed to use up the rest of the teal duck breasts, hearts and livers, so gumbo was just the ticket!  See more about it here on this wonderful Egullet Gumbo cook-off thread

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/61289-gumbo-cook-off-3/page-19#entry1987110

The meats:

Crappy, crappy andouille sausage, livers, hearts, duck and shrimp (which I didn't end up putting in)

photo 1.JPG

I know I put it in the cook-off thread, but I have to show off my roux.  Hershey bar color finally achieved after many times of being to impatient/hot/tired/etc. to wait for it.

photo 4.JPG

Cornbread to go with

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

• Like 7