• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 5)

Shelby

AnnaN   I agree with you completely.  I tend to do bulk / freeze

wonder how the 'poach in simmering water  / turn off ' compares w the saute method.

Lends itself very well to poaching a whole chicken whereas the other two methods do not.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Got my box of Hatch chili peppers yesterday so we had a chili pepper feast  :biggrin:

Roasted

photo 2.JPG

In salsa

photo 3.JPG

Chiles rellenos--some stuffed with cheddar, some stuffed with queso fresco

photo 4.JPG

Quesadillas stuffed with chicken and Hatch peppers

photo 5.JPG

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 12

So we had a guest over today so no pictures.  The guest and I had been to the  big food festival  in town, we looked, tasted, smelled and even ate a  lot of  lovely and flavourful produce,  meats ,cheese, candy and other food related stuff.   My guest  isnt that fond of  ostkaka ( curd cake), but I manage to get him to taste  all the different styles there are and he fell in love  with  the award winning ostkakan and bought two, one for us and one for his friends. So dessert  was set.   After getting a little more  food and some  sherbet , yes they had passion fruit sherbet with no lemon and honey as sweetener, I was such a happy girl  and we went home where my husband had taken out everything for curry.  

So we made Magalorean Chicken  with  rice   and then  we had a Swedish  ostkaka with  jam and  whipped cream for dessert.  

That my dears, was pure heaven even if continents collided. 

• Like 3

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

It was just me for dinner last night, so I thought I'd try smoking a small sirloin steak.  Rubbed with McCormick's Montreal Steak Rub and smoked at 225F to an IT of 120F, then a reverse sear on the gasser.  Came out very smokey, maybe even a little too much smoke.  I think I prefer steaks done sous vide, then reverse seared.

smoked-sirloin.jpg

• Like 5

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Tonight's dinner was inspired by a meal at Blue Hill Washington Square several years ago.

"A Celebration of Tomatoes"

14976154687_3ef3e9aa6d_z.jpg

Melon, Italian plums, heirloom cherry tomatoes

15162743355_3b26f516f4_z.jpg

Romano beans, with summer squash, mixed olives and tomato

15162345252_cb9be3b6cb_z.jpg

Pasta with uncooked tomato sauce and North African herb paste

14976157357_f05f67db05_z.jpg

Vanilla ice cream, with baked figs and slow-roasted tomato

• Like 6

Tonight's dinner was inspired by a meal at Blue Hill Washington Square several years ago.

"A Celebration of Tomatoes"

Melon, Italian plums, heirloom cherry tomatoes

Romano beans, with summer squash, mixed olives and tomato

Pasta with uncooked tomato sauce and North African herb paste

Vanilla ice cream, with baked figs and slow-roasted tomato

Oh, this looks like a fun meal! What type of melon is in that first course? The dessert looks lovely, was it as tasty as you remembered/hoped? 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

Oh, this looks like a fun meal! What type of melon is in that first course? The dessert looks lovely, was it as tasty as you remembered/hoped?

It was some kind of Asian melon I picked up at USGM. Can't remember the name of the cultivar. Pale greenish-white rind, white flesh, faintly sweet/delicate melon flavor. I took it home, then promptly forgot about it until my partner reminded me that it was ripening on top of my fridge.

That dessert was an experiment; I wanted to use tomatoes as a fruit rather than as a vegetable. Probably needs reworking b/c of the acidity. B remarked that they tasted great as a separate component but not mixed together.

The original dinner at BHWS is buried in eGullet's archives; and I'm definitely no chef...my knife skills aren't like mm's for example. But that's okay; the whole point of doing something like this is "fun". I like challenging myself.

• Like 2

That dessert was an experiment; I wanted to use tomatoes as a fruit rather than as a vegetable. Probably needs reworking b/c of the acidity. B remarked that they tasted great as a separate component but not mixed together.

The original dinner at BHWS is buried in eGullet's archives; and I'm definitely no chef...my knife skills aren't like mm's for example. But that's okay; the whole point of doing something like this is "fun". I like challenging myself.

You definitely have skills. Did you just roast the tomato or use any sweetener? I'm thinking of tomato jams, etc. 

http://foodinjars.com/2013/09/classic-tomato-jam-sweetened-honey/

Edited to add: Am I wrong or has the boyfriend become the partner? If so, congrats and I hope you can spend more time together in future. Any plans to live in the same city? And please forgive me for being too forward/intrusive, if so. 

Edited by FauxPas (log)

Yes, B is now my "partner". You could say that there's a plan in the works. I don't want to say anymore b/c jinx. :wink:

As for the slow-roasted tomato, it was just tomatoes, sea salt, black pepper and olive oil, then roasted at 300 F for one hour and at 250 F for two hours. No sweetener necessary.

15162342512_fc903fa18e_z.jpg

has a recipe for tomato confit that I'll be making sometime in the next few days.

(I should probably start a thread on that book too.)

• Like 4

Hainanese chicken rice, with minimal accoutrements.

Small yellow-skin chicken, simmer – poached in the hot broth method; scallions (in cavity), ginger (in cavity + in pot), salt, generous additional cut-up chicken fat, rendered in situ in the pot/liquid; rubbed w/ vegetable oil + a little black sesame oil after retrieval from the pot.

Accompanying sauce – grated young ginger w/ juices, Lingham’s Hot Sauce, Kokita Sambal Bangkok, “aged” rice vinegar, juice of half a fresh lime, dash of Red Boat fish sauce. 

Broth – portion of the poaching liquid w/ chopped scallions & coriander leaves. 

Rice – Thai Hom Mali w/ most of the floating fat + residual chicken fat rendered nuggets + sufficient liquid + ginger pieces from the poaching liquids, chopped smashed garlic, generous fresh pandan leaves trimmed/washed/knotted.

DSCN2610a_800.jpg

The rice preparatory to being cooked:

DSCN2603a_600.jpg

• Like 6

I am planning to make chicken parmesan on Wed so I got a whole chicken and cut it up.  I was trying to figure out what to do with the wings, thighs and legs when I remembered Darch's stuffed chicken wings. I boned the legs, thighs, and wings, stuffed them with Stove Top for Chicken, rubbed with oil, salted,  and baked them at 450 for 45 minutes.  Charlie said they were really good and Cassie said they were her new favorite chicken.

I also steamed some broccoli and then tossed them with a little mozzarella and butter. We also had some corn relish that I got at the Farmers market a couple days ago. Pictures didn't turn out all that great looking though and I didn't get a picture of the corn relish.

DSCN1778_zpsc7de579c.jpg

DSCN1774_zpsd449f2a1.jpg

• Like 7

image.jpg

Turf and Turf? Top sirloin sv'd then seared and king oyster mushroom "scallops".

• Like 8

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• Chicken rice (from here) w/ chicken liver & shallot sauce, plus poached chicken pieces (from here).  Scallions.

• Baby Shanghai bok choy, wilted in and served with (sieved) chicken broth.§

Peanut oil, chopped smashed garlic, finely sliced shallots, chopped chicken livers, light soy sauce (sang chau) [Kimlan], ryori-shu [Morita], jozo-mirin [Morita], fish sauce [Red Boat], a dash of dark soy sauce [YHY].

§  The chicken broth/poaching liquid from here; re-simmered w/ the chicken carcass, most of the remaining meat & pieces, red carrots, generous scallions, additional ginger, sea salt, fresh small chinese mushrooms (tung koo).

DSCN2616b_800.jpg

• Like 3

20140907_172623_zpsc0bdc100.jpg

We still had a guest over but I got a text message from my sister asking me what I was doing so I sent here this.  It roast pork roast with apples, roasties, pickled  white cucumber (  this type only grown in one place in Sweden), gravy and peas.

20140907_174955_zpsdb9c7e28.jpg

Dessert :  Goddess Pomona  cake with  home made custard.

• Like 5

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Nice, Anna.  How did you prepare the "scallops"?

I marinated the chunks in a mixture of tamari, maple syrup, shallots, black pepper then seared them in a moderately hot butter/oil mixture, flipped them and then added the marinade to the pan and basted them with it. Oh and gave them another dusting of black pepper.

My 2004 eG Blog