• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 5)

Shelby

[Host's note: This is part of an extended topic that became too large for our servers to handle efficiently, so we've divided it into shorter segments. The discussion continues from here.]

September 1st is the opening day of dove season here!  So, tradition for us on Labor Day is always dove for dinner.  My husband and his brother shot these.  I like the liver and the hearts to be left in when you clean them.  I only got my way on four of them  :hmmm:   I obviously need to take control of cleaning the doves  :biggrin:

photo 1.JPG

Bacon wrapped with peppers from our garden

photo 2.JPG

Cheesy scalloped potatoes

photo 3.JPG

Plated with baked beans and garden tomatoes

photo 4.JPG

Edited by lesliec
Added host's note (log)
  • Like 17

Shelby - when you say you like the hearts and livers to be left in do you mean that you cook them that way or just that you want to have them to use? As always, I would love to be a guest at your table. 

• Like 1

Shelby - when you say you like the hearts and livers to be left in do you mean that you cook them that way or just that you want to have them to use? As always, I would love to be a guest at your table. 

Thank you Heidi and MM!

I usually cook them that way.  I left them just as you see them (well, except for that gizzard in the one third from the left.  You gotta clean those a bit more and then put 'em back in) , laid a strip of pepper on and wrapped it in bacon.

Edited by Shelby (log)

September 1st is the opening day of dove season here!  So, tradition for us on Labor Day is always dove for dinner.  My husband and his brother shot these.  I like the liver and the hearts to be left in when you clean them.  I only got my way on four of them  :hmmm:   I obviously need to take control of cleaning the doves  :biggrin:

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

In NY, they are $25 to $30 each.

Don't they have a 15 bird limit for hunting ? Send me the rest or I will report you. :-)

dcarch

• Like 1

In NY, they are $25 to $30 each.

Don't they have a 15 bird limit for hunting ? Send me the rest or I will report you. :-)

dcarch

LOL well, thankfully between the two of them it's 15 each....but I'd still share with you :)

Looks like a lot of head shots --Shell    :)  Not much breast damage

Looks like I'm going to miss the season this yr

They shot really well.  I didn't find any shot in the breasts...which is always nice.

I'm sorry you'll miss the season.  I would share with you too  :)

• Like 2

here are a few things made this weekend.. 

Pasta with clams, garlic, tomatoes, white wine, a shot of butter.   36 clams.  2 boxes of pasta.

14909948977_f3666681a6_z.jpg

Grilled Sardines

14928020157_bb0a9dc2c8_z.jpg

15114198902_8464eaf96c_z.jpg

14927875289_ccd5b56032_z.jpg

Frittata with leftover goat cheese, leftover chicken, some leftover roasted squash mixed with mint.  

15114212522_6d7e6b03b8_z.jpg

15091588156_2f47f691e4_z.jpg

i think i used 18 eggs

14930385537_734dfb83c0_z.jpg

bagel with white fish

15099298876_60847d9231_z.jpghere was some cured crusted cauliflower

15091587196_4d9a4ed8e3_z.jpg

Roasted a few legs of lamb

Started out on like 500 on the grill and brought it down and smoked it

15071932136_84582f5ca0_z.jpg

medium rare

14909950327_1121580dfb_z.jpg

some farm fresh beans.. the description was a more tender haricot vert. boiled in salt water, tossed with raw garlic and vinegar. 

15096253395_a4ccc3707e_z.jpg

there were several pies being made

plum and berries and peaches

15121752202_c38e025e4c_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 19

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Shelby - Nice meal.  I'm from Mississipi and did a lot of dove hunting (and beer drinking-its part of the social aspect of dove hunting) in the fall.  It is really hard to top a dove breast wrapped in bacon, marinaded in Dales sauce and eaten hot off the grill.  

Basquecook- I saw the first post and thought you were batting a 1000 and then I saw the second post and I think your batting 2000.  What a great weekend of grub.

• Like 2

• Fresh radiatore w/ tomato sauce & parmesan.  Sauce made w/ Japanese Trifele tomatoes.

• Blanched Wong Nga Pak (oiled water) dressed w/ ponzu sauce & black pepper.

DSCN2560a_800.jpg

--------------------------------------------

• Bak Kut Teh.

Canto-Hoklo herbal variety.  Water, meaty pork baby back ribs (cut into individual ribs), two heads of garlic (skins & parchments intact); sliced dried Polygonatum odoratum roots, dried tangerine peel, dried longan flesh, dried Angelica sinensis root slices, dried Codonopsis pilosula roots; a large crushed black cardamom pod; sufficient but generous whole star anise, cassia pieces, whole cloves; light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, oyster sauce; tofu puffs.  In that order, more-or-less.  The softened garlic heads were squished into the soup towards the end.  Simmered till done.

• Stir-fried cauliflower florets (from mini-cauliflowers) & scallion pieces.

• White rice.

DSCN2565b_800.jpg

DSCN2572a_800.jpg

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 5

Shelby - Nice meal.  I'm from Mississipi and did a lot of dove hunting (and beer drinking-its part of the social aspect of dove hunting) in the fall.  It is really hard to top a dove breast wrapped in bacon, marinaded in Dales sauce and eaten hot off the grill.  

Basquecook- I saw the first post and thought you were batting a 1000 and then I saw the second post and I think your batting 2000.  What a great weekend of grub.

YAY a fellow Dale's user!  That is exactly what my doves were marinated in--plus  a little garlic.  Oh yes, beer is required here, too.

And, Basquecook, I second what Steve said.  Amazing food.  I'd like to hear a little more about how you did the cauliflower, please.

• Like 2

SHELBY  give me dove breast and those scalloped potatoes!!

BASQUECOOK more info about that cauliflower please....thank you in advance

Maultaschen.  I had made and frozen packages of 10.  Will poach in some vegetable broth then serve in some rich beef broth that is enchanced with some carrot. 

Peaches are now ready to work with so a peach kucken for dessert and for breakfast snack for John tomorrow.

The field tomatoes are really at their best right now so I am going to make my tomato rice soup and serve it tomorrow with some sourdough rolls that I froze earlier.  I've been reading a bean cookbook and want to make a cold bean salad to go with the soup...I'm thinking about a yellow and string bean salad with tiny white beans, red onion and green goddess dressing.

• Like 2

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

A new toy arrived at my house yesterday:

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/148325-new-anova-precision-cooker-announced-may-6-2014/?p=1984524

And new toys must be put through their paces. My freezer yielded some excellent Australian lamb chops. They were already vacuum sealed. I fired up the new ANOVA and set the temperature to 54.5 Celsius. Two hours later I removed the chops from their bags, dried them thoroughly, seasoned them with salt and pepper, and seared them in a hot cast-iron skillet. The fridge yielded some corn and dinner was highly successful.

image.jpg

Why sous-vide?

image.jpg

• Like 9

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

My camera messed up and the pictures didn't come out today but I had a yen for some shrimp etouffee but not for the rice so instead I substituted some new potatoes cooked with Southern style green beans and salt pork.  While i was at it I discovered some collard greens I forgot to make the other day and cooked them too. 

• Like 3

Seared salmon with Momofuku brussel sprouts

ed8208d3d793298d148e70e6bde981c7.jpg

The sprouts are crazy good

Seared salmon with Momofuku brussel sprouts

ed8208d3d793298d148e70e6bde981c7.jpg

The sprouts are crazy good

I checked the recipe and it sounds really good.  Neither of us are real fond of BS but I want to try this.  Thanks, scooby :)

Shelby, I like so much you have your wild meats and your own garden, that's so much better nutrition in my mind!

Mm, that caviar...paradise!

Basquecook, amazing food.

Hurray, you really reminded me, I should try to make bah kut teh for my husband, he really liked very much the "clear" version in Singapore.

Tonight we had a very thick slice of beef liver, roasted sweet potatoes that I browned in butter and collards.

image.jpg

• Like 3

Dinner last night, was a good one. It was an unusual pairing of flavors for me. I had fresh tomatillos that i quartered, tossed in with garlic, oil, shallots, a habanero from the garden, a jalapeno, a few slices of cauliflower,two salt packed anchovies and a few capers. Made this sauce and then put in a frozen flounder i had deboned and vacuum sealed. Let it bake in the oven.. the tomatillos were really lovely. Sauce was just water added to the tomatillo, garlic, peppers, onion and fish.

14946492360_b200efaa0b_z.jpg

Served along side basmati rice cooked with coconut oil, garlic, honey pollen, mustard seed and a ton of salt.

14946589507_25eb976ac1_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 2

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK