• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 5)

Shelby

Ha, me too. Was curious about the tart, and I found a NY Times variation by Melissa Clark where she makes it as a savory tarte Tatin rather individual tarts. I am wondering how similar the process/ingredients are compared to the one you made, gfweb?  

The NYT version is a sped-up method for this restaurant-y dish. In the original, halved tomatoes are roasted for about 3 hrs with garlic, thyme and OO. Onions are cooked slowly for an hour and had added thyme and chicken stock. Caramel is made and brightened with sherry vinegar.

Then caramel + garlic clove + thyme + olives (which I left out) are put into a ramekin...then roasted tomatoes...then onions...then puff pastry. 20'  at 425F.Total time 3.5 hours.

But tomatoes can be roasted, and onions sauteed in advance.

The book it came out of, Think Like a Chef, is very very good. Lots of technique discussion and recipes to ponder. FWIW Top Chef contestants ought to read it and gain insight into how Tom thinks.

• Like 3

Experimental dinner tonight. I started a dried okra thread to get ideas. For my BF I got him the Anova sous vide. Tonight he made rib eyes. Holy they are incredible. I finished it with flake salt. I did a side of baked potatoes and just dried okra with onions, lemon and salt boiled. I was going to add more veggies but decided I just wanted the taste of the okra.Dinner for two with Dark Apothic Red wine:

10629287_10152352641427703_6300747237434139095_o.jpg

10730962_10152352641422703_7754549967045050383_n.jpg

Resting:

10644135_10152352648107703_3212735587232792179_o.jpg

• Like 5

Experimental dinner tonight. I started a dried okra thread to get ideas. For my BF I got him the Anova sous vide. Tonight he made rib eyes. Holy they are incredible. I finished it with flake salt. I did a side of baked potatoes and just dried okra with onions, lemon and salt boiled. I was going to add more veggies but decided I just wanted the taste of the okra.Dinner for two with Dark Apothic Red wine:

attachicon.gif10629287_10152352641427703_6300747237434139095_o.jpg

attachicon.gif10730962_10152352641422703_7754549967045050383_n.jpg

Resting:

attachicon.gif10644135_10152352648107703_3212735587232792179_o.jpg

Could you elaborate on the okra please?

Could you elaborate on the okra please?

I'm not sure how to link to another thread c oliver, but I started one called 'Dried Okra' and took pictures. Its a bag of dried okra that are picked fresh no longer then a lady's pinky finger then threaded and dried. My BF found them interesting and they smell like tea, like really good tea. I could not find many recipes online for them but I did find one from a woman in Alaska so I prepped them as she did for a beef stew: add to water, chunks of onion, lemon juice and salt. I boiled for about 20 minutes until tender. They taste familiar like fiddleheads, slightly like asparagus but stronger flavour. Almost a cross between the two but distinct to itself. 

Edited to add: after I took a bite of another piece of okra they are also similar to an artichoke!

Edited by Mmmpomps (log)

we had a good snowfall a couple of days ago but it melted fairly quickly. Today, however, was this:

IMGP3288.JPG

Just for rotuts (and Shelby), here is our kitty, fascinated by the snow and the whiskey jacks (instead of the wild turks):

IMGP3260-001.JPG

And because this is a temporary rental and we had expected to be out of here by now, we aren't doing much shopping so this weekend we are doing clean-up. I had some roasted tomatoes in the freezer and a red pepper that really needed to be used so that became the basis for a pasta sauce. 

IMGP3302.JPG

• Like 10

Had like 70 people to the house yesterday.. Took off of work on Friday and cooked most of the food with my mother in law.. Not really difficult dishes but,  it just takes time.  Homemade manicotti (with crepes) two large porchettas totaling over 40 pounds, 2 racks of ribs, green beans and tarragon, a chick pea salad that had roasted sweet potato, beet, acorn squash, butternut squash, radicchio, parsley, pistachios and apple cider vinegar and a few other things... It all came out really well.  

i don't have all the photos and my phone just died but, i feel like posting.  

15628331461_c250ef6848_z.jpg

gluten free vegan

15444869508_fdda7eba87_z.jpg

center piece my mother made for the baby shower. also the cupcakes and cucumber things and the vegan vegetable cups

15010816273_f5531d6463_z.jpg

internal temp of the loin was 120 when i took it out, the heat cooks it until its almost a perfect medium.

15444348219_ae281a2fae_z.jpg

i like the excess mixed with the message.  he doesnt eat meat

15444862918_69190db808_z.jpg

this is a caviar pie my mother in law makes... its like a lay of onion, chopped egg, mayo and then caviar.. its an interesting combo.. she made three and they were eaten

15628327021_0a235cce96_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 11

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Oh FauxPas, such a beautiful snow!!!!  I love your kitty :)  I'm SO jealous of the snow.  It was 90 degrees here yesterday!  I'm sick of it!  And, you know I'm a sucker for pasta.  Sigh.  I'd love to be eating that and looking out on that winter wonderland.

Basquecook, I'm afraid you're going to have to tell me how to make caviar pie.  Everything looks wonderful.  

Like I said, it's HOT here.  :(  I want winter and yoga pants and sweatshirts and SNOW.

Thus, a very summery type meal last night

Grammy's Rice Salad

I scribbled this recipe over 20 years ago.  Ignore the stains.  It's been well used.

photo 2.JPG

photo 1.JPG

Along with breaded tomatoes and smoked chicken

photo 3.JPG

• Like 8

basquecook, that looks like an amazing spread! Thank you for sharing! 

Shelby, I had never heard of breaded tomatoes (I know, must have been living under a snowbank or something!) so I had to look them up. Sounds tasty, do you have any secret ingredients or go with the basics of tomatoes, bread, sugar, butter? Your Grammy's salad looks very tasty, also. 

Yes, feeling like Winter Wonderland here. We had a spicy chili for two nights before the pasta. 

• Like 1

basquecook, that looks like an amazing spread! Thank you for sharing! 

Shelby, I had never heard of breaded tomatoes (I know, must have been living under a snowbank or something!) so I had to look them up. Sounds tasty, do you have any secret ingredients or go with the basics of tomatoes, bread, sugar, butter? Your Grammy's salad looks very tasty, also. 

Yes, feeling like Winter Wonderland here. We had a spicy chili for two nights before the pasta. 

Ohhhh you must make breaded tomatoes.  Ya gotta use summer homegrown/farmer's market tomatoes for the best results.  I've used San Marzano canned ones, though that aren't too bad.  

I sautee chopped onions and bell peppers in some butter.  Add a bit of flour to thicken when the veggies are a bit soft then dump the chopped 'maters in.  Season with s and p.   Simmer until tomatoes are cooked, but not down to a sauce.  Right before serving I add toasted bread and stir it up.  This time I used some sourdough that I had made into croutons.  I never add sugar.  I don't like it sweet.  

• Like 1

Ohhhh you must make breaded tomatoes.  Ya gotta use summer homegrown/farmer's market tomatoes for the best results.  I've used San Marzano canned ones, though that aren't too bad.  

I sautee chopped onions and bell peppers in some butter.  Add a bit of flour to thicken when the veggies are a bit soft then dump the chopped 'maters in.  Season with s and p.   Simmer until tomatoes are cooked, but not down to a sauce.  Right before serving I add toasted bread and stir it up.  This time I used some sourdough that I had made into croutons.  I never add sugar.  I don't like it sweet.  

So you don't bake yours? 

So you don't bake yours? 

No, I do it on the stove top in a pot.

Host's note: this ever-popular topic continues in Dinner 2014 (Part 6).

Edited by Smithy (log)
  • Like 1