• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 5)

Shelby

As Usual. everybody eats tastier than me .....

I'll have to charge up the PureFizz for some Methode Rotuts to ease the Pain ~

Crouton

Wow.  Soo good Sooooo beefy

Ive never made Marrow.

talk about being a Dump Ass ........

Im going to have to look into it based on Your Plate.

please dont pass this stunning failing around ....

Here's the recipe I follow. You can find marrow bones at publix really really cheap.

http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/roast-bone-marrow-and-parsley-salad

FZodA.jpg

• Like 6

image.jpg

A 3-course dinner tonight. A cocktail (Black Lily). A salmon patty on wilted spinach and lemon pudding for dessert. The cocktail is peeking out from beside the main course and dessert disappeared before I could grab the camera.

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I followed this recipe loosely but omitted the ricotta and winged the proportions until I had a smooth dough. We've got close to 50lbs of sweet potatoes from our garden this year so I'm grasping for new stuff to do with them. I'm hoping to try a sweet potato ravioli this weekend.... perhaps a pie.  

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Sweet-Potato-Gnocchi-with-Brown-Butter-and-Sage-233379

V7e4j71.jpg

Is it okay to give a recipe here?  Here's one from Batali for sweet potatoes that sounds good and easy - two of my favorite things :)

DSC_0002_zps76278d1e.jpg

Newly-opened local butcher gets pork cheeks in once a week. I bought a bagful and only then thought about what to do with them. A sous vide prep like one of the ones in the Quay book? Eh. Then I remembered the episode of Mind of a Chef in which April Bloomfield went to some London barbecue restaurant that served barbecued pork cheeks. Barbecued pork cheeks? Sold. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the exact recipe online so I used this:

I rubbed them with Meathead's Memphis Dust and sauced them with unremarkable commercially-made barbecue sauce. I didn't bother with the last step: reducing the juices from the crutch with some ketchup. They were saucy enough.

Turns out, barbecued pork cheeks do everything they say on the tin. Sticky. Salty. Smoky. Sweet. That richness that only a tough cut of pork can deliver. It also turns out that a small quantity of barbecued pork cheeks is kind of a large quantity. Would make again but probably serve them with something other than a half-arsed coleslaw. Pickles would make good friends with these.

• Like 6

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Scuba--great looking 'sketti and meatballs.  YUM.

Chris--I've never had a pork cheek.  I bet they are very tender.

Crouton---MMMMMmmmmm bone marrow....I haven't made that in a long time.  Looks scrumptious.

Hotdog night!!!

I got a new toy---an apple peeler.  I'm sure everyone on the planet has one already :)  Anyway, along with peeling apples I wanted to see if I could make curly fries with it.  

Nope.

Didn't work.

Sooooo.....we had weird fries with the dogs.

photo 1.JPG

• Like 5

DSC_0002_zps76278d1e.jpg

Newly-opened local butcher gets pork cheeks in once a week. I bought a bagful and only then thought about what to do with them. A sous vide prep like one of the ones in the Quay book? Eh. Then I remembered the episode of Mind of a Chef in which April Bloomfield went to some London barbecue restaurant that served barbecued pork cheeks. Barbecued pork cheeks? Sold. Unfortunately, I couldn't find the exact recipe online so I used this:

I rubbed them with Meathead's Memphis Dust and sauced them with unremarkable commercially-made barbecue sauce. I didn't bother with the last step: reducing the juices from the crutch with some ketchup. They were saucy enough.

Turns out, barbecued pork cheeks do everything they say on the tin. Sticky. Salty. Smoky. Sweet. That richness that only a tough cut of pork can deliver. It also turns out that a small quantity of barbecued pork cheeks is kind of a large quantity. Would make again but probably serve them with something other than a half-arsed coleslaw. Pickles would make good friends with these.

When I've made beef cheeks, they needed low and slow to get tender.  How was the pork?  We're soon going to have access to things like that so will be interest.  TIA.

So many amazing meals.

My mouth is watering over Crouton's photos with the bone marrow and the Sweet Potato Gnocchi. Great photos.

Okanagancook, your Chilli Pork with Cashews looks delicious.  I think I might have to look for that cookbook.

A few recent meals.

Pork%20Chile%20Verde%20October%2023rd%2C

Pork Chile Verde with homemade flour tortillas.

Grilled%20NY%20Strips%20October%2021st%2

Grilled New York Strip.

Halibut%20October%2018th%2C%202014%201-L

Fresh Halibut.  The season is almost over for fresh.  So I'll need to have it at least one more time before the season ends.

Roast%20Chicken%20Dinner%20October%2017t

Roast Chicken Dinner.

Smoked%20Salmon%20and%20homemade%20bagel

I baked bagels one day so we had them for dinner topped with cream cheese and smoked salmon.

Pizza%20October%2012th%2C%202014-L.jpg

Pizza again.  Baked on the grill in the Bakerstone pizza oven.

• Like 15

So many amazing meals.

My mouth is watering over Crouton's photos with the bone marrow and the Sweet Potato Gnocchi. Great photos.

Okanagancook, your Chilli Pork with Cashews looks delicious.  I think I might have to look for that cookbook.

A few recent meals.

Pork%20Chile%20Verde%20October%2023rd%2C

Pork Chile Verde with homemade flour tortillas.

Grilled%20NY%20Strips%20October%2021st%2

Grilled New York Strip.

Halibut%20October%2018th%2C%202014%201-L

Fresh Halibut.  The season is almost over for fresh.  So I'll need to have it at least one more time before the season ends.

Roast%20Chicken%20Dinner%20October%2017t

Roast Chicken Dinner.

Smoked%20Salmon%20and%20homemade%20bagel

I baked bagels one day so we had them for dinner topped with cream cheese and smoked salmon.

Pizza%20October%2012th%2C%202014-L.jpg

Pizza again.  Baked on the grill in the Bakerstone pizza oven.

Just an fyi.  I have wrapped fish filets tightly in plastic wrap and then FoodSavered.  They were great a month later.

• Like 1

Just an fyi.  I have wrapped fish filets tightly in plastic wrap and then FoodSavered.  They were great a month later.

Once the season is over, I will still be able to purchase Halibut "flash frozen" at sea from my local seafood shoppe.    Next best thing to fresh.  

Thanks Rotuts.

~Ann

Edited by Ann_T (log)

When I've made beef cheeks, they needed low and slow to get tender.  How was the pork?  We're soon going to have access to things like that so will be interest.  TIA.

Pork cheeks behave similarly. Low and slow is the only way to fly. ~120C for five and a half  hours. Mine, cut a little thinner than the ones in the video, were tender after the fifth hour but I wanted the sticky glaze. They had a little meatier than perfectly-cooked pork ribs. Alternatively, you could braise them or cook them sous vide. Or, yeah, enter the world of cold smoking/salt-curing.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

Pork cheeks behave similarly. Low and slow is the only way to fly. ~120C for five and a half  hours. Mine, cut a little thinner than the ones in the video, were tender after the fifth hour but I wanted the sticky glaze. They had a little meatier than perfectly-cooked pork ribs. Alternatively, you could braise them or cook them sous vide. Or, yeah, enter the world of cold smoking/salt-curing.

Thanks for elaborating.  One of the best dishes I've ever had was a Babbo and had the beef cheek ravioli with crushed squab liver and shaved black truffles :)  The latter part I'd have trouble sourcing or affording but I've said for years I need to do the ravioli.  I even have the recipe after buying his Babbo cookbook.  

Thanks for elaborating. One of the best dishes I've ever had was a Babbo and had the beef cheek ravioli with crushed squab liver and shaved black truffles :) The latter part I'd have trouble sourcing or affording but I've said for years I need to do the ravioli. I even have the recipe after buying his Babbo cookbook.

While that made my wife make a face that dinner sounded utterly delicious Edited by scubadoo97 (log)

While that made my wife make a face that dinner sounded utterly delicious

Scoobie, I will admit that I closely questioned regarding the liver because I'm not a fan of all.  I shared this with Bob in addition to the grilled octopus and the sweetbreads.  It was a heavenly meal.  We went back for lunch in Feb. and had an equally wonderful meal.

I was trying yo decide between chili or tacos until I saw Mmmmpomps tacos.  Then I saw that my son had put tortillas on the shopping list so that settled it.  We had tacos for dinner tonight.

DSCN1904_zpsde043482.jpg

Your dinner looks great Norm! I love to come here to get dinner ideas :)

• Like 2

image.jpg

Crispy boneless chicken thighs, roasted asparagus and mushrooms and a garlic crouton.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Bavette steak (with pinot noir pan sauce yet to be applied), roasted yukon gold potatoes and Colicchio's tomato tart  from Think Like a Chef. The latter is a bit of a production to make, but was tasty.

IMG_20141025_195002_933.jpg

• Like 7

*googling Bavette steak and tomato tart*  both sound lovely.

Ha, me too. Was curious about the tart, and I found a NY Times variation by Melissa Clark where she makes it as a savory tarte Tatin rather individual tarts. I am wondering how similar the process/ingredients are compared to the one you made, gfweb?  

• Like 1