• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 5)

Shelby

Can you tell me more about the soup? Thanks! 

I roasted half of my crop of  German  ( orange with a little red ) Tomatoes  that I peeled..in the oven @ 225 F  till dried and concentrated with onion  celery  .. then a bit higher heat to finish .. I think I went 275F

The other tomatoes  ( I did add a couple Celebrity reds )   --I just sliced and cooked on the stove with a little Sutter Home  Pinot Gris white wine

Cooked those till it reduced slighrly

Put everything together and ran it threw a food mill to remove seeds and skins and fiber  ( reduced that )    What I liked about these tomatoes is they have a great acidity and sweetness .  I used salt and white pepper  tt

I then sauteed small diced carrots carrots in butter.  drained added to soup

Garnished with lovage and a sprinkle of Cayenne   Add Pretzel bun croutons

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 2

Its good to have Morels

20141020_173327_zps07a99f6f.jpg

White  oriental cheese  (  yes that is the name) filled   pork meatballs smothered in simple tomato sauce with pasta.

• Like 6

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Indulging after working for seven days straight.  Wait, make it eight since I worked today as well.

Lobster with drawn butter and salsa verde.

Whole lobster briefly dunked in boiling water (not to cook but to be able to remove it from the shell).  Later I poached it in melted butter a la Thomas Keller. 

lobster dinner.jpg

• Like 7

I tried a new recipe called Vaca Frita or Cuban Shredded Beef.  It turned out to be pretty much the cuban beef version of carnitas.  Charlie even got out some soft tortillas and put some in a wrap.  I winged a dressing with some pineapple flavored balsamic vinegar, Framboise, some lime juice, honey, salt, and olive oil. 

DSCN18932_zpsabb359d5.jpg

• Like 8

• Soup.  Asparagus & standard mushrooms in chicken stock w/ some oil.

DSCN2952a_600.jpg

• Head-on shrimp, marinated in and steamed with Shaohsing wine, salt, corn oil, jozo mirin, ground white pepper, generous finely chopped smashed garlic & finely sliced ginger.

• Green beans flash "stir-fried" w/ garlic.

• White rice (Basmati).

DSCN2955a_800.jpg

• Like 10

A few dinners from the last month:

Spicy Sausage Minestrone Soup (cleaning out the fridge)

1925002_10152340344027703_8041109752417831456_n.jpg

Grilled Steak and Oven fries with SpicyAioli

1911991_10152330648892703_5171037630667329659_n.jpg

Ronco Rotissery Chicken , Salad with Strawberry vinegrette

10648556_10152297032912703_4821626734039808451_o.jpg

This could be added to Regrettable Foods or for Halloween dinner. But it was delish! Crispy Duck Breast with Cranberry sauce (blood spatter seems to be my speciality) and Scalloped potatoes

10492119_10152336394957703_2170498407643662204_n.jpg

• Like 11

This was dinner on Sunday. The dishes are generally served at a fiest / bbq, L to R, clockwise:  corn titiyas (tortillas), flour titiyas with Spam kelaguen (ceviche-like dish), marinated steak, red rice (achote), marinated onions in fina'denne' (sauce with hot peppers), shrimp kelaguen, crab and broccoli salad:

10606274_10204108103134638_1512901059229

Edited by pquinene (log)
  • Like 8

c oliver

that is some kind of Burger !

:biggrin:    :biggrin:    :biggrin:  

Id like a bit more info

but better  ::::

how did you "" smash it ""

and get get in your mouth ??????????????????

:biggrin:

HAHAHA!!!  I kinda 'squished' it and then nibbled around the edges :)  Squished some more, nibbled some more.  BTW, that's only a four ounce patty but it's our standard.  Plenty for us.

Cassie brought home some mini pita rounds from the store so I made a Tzatziki sauce to go with them, stir fried some broccoli slaw then tossed it with a reduction of soy with brown sugar and also made a Honey Garlic Chicken.  We also had rice but it isn't pictured. 

DSCN1899_zps350f96a1.jpg

• Like 10

Homeground pork burgers on a toasted English muffin spread with mayo with Hatch chiles, sweet onion, Cheddar cheese, avocado, lettuce and tomato.

I like using English muffins for burgers. Just the right ratio of meat to bread.