• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 5)

Shelby

Quick picture that didn't turn out very well. Meatloaf (ground beef, veal and pork mix) with grated onion and carrot. I like to add a bit of spinach or chard sometimes, also. 

Side of crushed potatoes with a variation of the Buvette dressing that SobaAddict70 described in his post. It's a nice way to dress up potatoes. Olive oil infused with garlic and anchovy and I mixed it together with some sherry and white wine vinegar. The potatoes are locally grown (German Butter), boiled and then roughly crushed. A bit of the dressing. Some slow-roasted tomatoes  topped the potatoes and some very coarsely chopped parlsey. An avocado that really needed to be used, as well. 

IMGP3178.JPG

• Like 12

We make ceviche-like dishes on Guam called kelaguen. Basically, we take raw or nearly raw sources of protein (beef, deer, shrimp, nearly raw chicken...and even Spam) and "cook" it with lemon juice and salt. We also add minced onions and hot pepper. In the photo below, I made shrimp kelaguen with corn titiyas (tortillas) made from fresh masa.

shrimp_kelaguen.jpg

• Like 8

Lovely meatloaf FauxPas.

I know it must seem like I only make chicken and black beans. But they are very different preparations. Tomatoes still good here, as Mitch pointed out in the USGM thread. Not quite as good as they were a month ago but still worthwhile. 

tomatoes.jpg

These are ayocote negro beans cooked with bacon and coffee, as in this recipe. Only change was to add some chopped Hatch chile to the onions at the beginning. I also finished it in the oven. Ayocote negros are black runner beans and these were incredible - meaty and delicious. Took over 2 1/2 hours to cook even with soaking.

chicken_beans.jpg

The chicken with herbs de provence used dried lavender shaken off the stalks.

lavender.jpg

• Like 11

Patrickamory – Your bean dishes got me started to cook with more beans.

Paul Bacino – Nice German Tomato soup. I don’t have pretzel buns, I will use bagel instead.

FauxPas – I see nothing wrong with your photo.

Mm84321 – that is a very dramatic autumn vegetable dish.

Scubadoo – Professional looking scallops.

Franci – Great meals. Better than most restaurants in Brooklyn.

Huiray – Elegantly plated salmon and asparagus.

Dejah – The orange & ginger marmalade sounds very good. I think I will do some wings that way.

Prawncrackers – I wish the stores around me have sardines as nice as yours. Amazing grill work. Not easy to grill fish.

Shelby – Happy Birthday. Why not. :-)

Kim – I love bacon. Never had Gypsy bacon before.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have no idea what I was doing. No recipes, no pre-planned dishes. Whatever I found in the kitchen, I cooked.

dcarch

B. sprouts on a stalk

yuzuchickenricenoodlesbrusselsprouts_zps

Steamed B. sprouts stalks

yuzuchickenricenoodlesbrusselsprouts2_zp

Rice noodles yuzu SV chicken breasts

yuzuchickenricenoodlesbrusselsprouts3_zp

yuzuchickenricenoodlesbrusselsprouts4_zp

Kabocha squash with shrimps, fried tofu

kabochayuzushrimps2_zpsef3bfbdd.jpg

kabochayuzushrimps4_zps0364a17a.jpg

kabochayuzushrimps3_zps019daeae.jpg

• Like 10

Creative and beautiful plating, as usual, dcarch.

I've rarely seen brussels sprouts on the stalk, and *blush* might not have thought to try cooking them. How did they taste? Was the outer part of the stalk woody, as it appears in your photo?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Creative and beautiful plating, as usual, dcarch.

I've rarely seen brussels sprouts on the stalk, and *blush* might not have thought to try cooking them. How did they taste? Was the outer part of the stalk woody, as it appears in your photo?

Thanks Smithy. They taste the same as normal Brussels sprouts, except a little fresher than loose sprouts. Actually, I didn't get a chace to tell the whole story. The outer part (skin) is kind of thick, but peels off easily after steaming. good for making smoothies for soups, etc. the whitish part is very woody and tough.

dcarch

• Like 1

I looked at a Stalk today.. Trader Joe's  had it for 3 bucks

You know I almost pulled the trigger on 2 of their 3 dollar products .. today

3 buck Chuck    :raz:   too

dC  how was the Stalk  ?  Artichoke ish?

Its good to have Morels

Dcarch--Now you've made me want to grow brussels sprouts again in our garden.  We haven't for years because, frankly, we got tired of eating them.

Franci---Beautifully cooked scallops!  I bought some from Pike Place Market in Seattle and froze them.  I'm always nervous to cook them because they are so delicate.

I'm still hoarding our garden tomatoes.  

BLT's on homemade bread with mac and cheese stuffed Hatch chiles.

photo.JPG

• Like 10

We had leftover meatloaf and still enough for a meatloaf sandwich for my husband tomorrow. Also, leftover crushed potatoes with roasted tomatoes and that lovely sherry-garlic-anchovy dressing. Steamed green beans and a bit of champiñones al ajillo (used some red pepper flakes, thyme, garlic, and a healthy splash of Alvear Fino).

IMGP3193.JPG

The mushrooms:

IMGP3185.JPG 

• Like 11

So Saturday, it was my anniversary.  What do Miss A and i do to celebrate.  Host a lunch for a group of people from South Africa we never met.  Well, it was Miss A's ex boss', sort of mentor family that was in town.  They wanted to meet for lunch somewhere in our neighborhood.  Our place is as good as any. 

Wake up by 830 am and can have most of it done by, 11:30. 

cheese plate:

15503061376_ce7bea8e54_c.jpg

Biscuits with honey butter:

15339521580_c2fa4154e2.jpg

I spent a little too much time with the butter

15503083216_6731b2c614.jpg

15339643257_f2c20cd45c.jpg

Then put it on a plate with a honey base and put in a hot oven for 2 minutes

15339502240_590b6df379.jpg

mac and cheese..  The three important C's of mac and cheese..

Cheese

15525887792_c96b221811.jpg

Custard

15339381629_480ec42ef5.jpg

Cheese

15525884872_4ab4c896dc.jpg

So good

15525833602_216173afa4_z.jpg

salad.  

15503080246_bd83c9f2dc_z.jpg

We also made a soup.  And fried chicken..  and a chocolate cake

here is a shot of the chicken hours after it was fried.. it stays crunchy for the most part, in the fridge the last couple times.  good picnic chicken i would say..

If i had to over analyze.  that would piece of chicken, the drumstick in the front of the photo. The top meaty area was actually the side it was resting on in the fridge.. that's why it looks more flat and less textured.  But, yeh, not important.

15339563588_ce72908daf_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 17

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Also, discovered a recent love for taquitos.. They are so quick and easy to make and you can essentially stuff any left over roasts or stewed meats in here.. Went out drinking with some friends Friday night and was able to have taquitos for 8 people in about 10 minutes..

what's better than that.

15394626240_3acb9505cf_z.jpg

• Like 8

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Also, discovered a recent love for taquitos.. They are so quick and easy to make and you can essentially stuff any left over roasts or stewed meats in here.. Went out drinking with some friends Friday night and was able to have taquitos for 8 people in about 10 minutes..

what's better than that.

15394626240_3acb9505cf_z.jpg

Just an fyi.  If you put the taquitos "seam" side down, you don't need the toothpicks.

basquecook, that all looks so lovely. Happy Anniversary!! 

The honey butter, wow. And the mac 'n cheese looks delectable, also. Everything looks lovely! 

But I just hope you and yours had a wonderful day!    :cool:

• Like 1