• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 5)

Shelby

Chicken Cacciatore Hunter Chicken

Using Smart organic chicken thighs--debone reserve the bone,, trim unwanted materials.. season Italian season , garlic parsley Sand P-- now i cracked the bone in 3 places and retied around thighs

Roast Marconi peppers( cleaned)- sauted onions-used canned Giorio Mushrooms- canned tomatoes from last yr garlic white wine--- all into a casserole dish. backed tell chicken was done @ 375 ish 1 hr plus

This is the only way you can marrow flavor your thigh chicken meat

cheers  Paul

IMG_7616.JPG

Edited by Paul Bacino (log)
  • Like 10

Its good to have Morels

This is the only way you can marrow flavor your thigh chicken meat

What about chopping your chicken thighs across the bone (cleaver) into several pieces then cooking those, such as in a braise, stir-fry, etc?  (I do that all the time)  And no, if there are chicken bone fragments they don't bother me. 

(Try chopping them when they are still slightly "frozen"/hard if one is afraid of fragments)

• Like 2

Last night, i had some friends from High School over..  My one buddy, bought me that kronos grill five years ago and I am just getting around to using it.  I had to wait for him to use it, so, i am happy I can now use it more frequently. 

it was a beautiful night last night.. perfect for sitting outside. 

15517739646_b4ce1752a8_z.jpg

I made three sets of skewers.  lamb in yogurt curry, lamb hearts in soy and chinese wine with garlic, cumin, sichuan peppercorns and chicken with a korean bbq marinade, 

Everything was eaten.. only the heart part was mentioned after everyone ate it and said they liked it. it was my one friend's first time eating lamb

14921261583_c87a6a5575_z.jpg

Finally, i made a seafood stew.. started with onion,garlic, tomatoes, wine, paprika, a chile pepper, bay leaf, Chorico, crabs, clams, mussels and squid and basil.

Really delicious.

lots of liquid on the bottom too.. this entire thing was eaten by 5 people.  

15540568742_0e0774e785_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 10

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

What about chopping your chicken thighs across the bone (cleaver) into several pieces then cooking those, such as in a braise, stir-fry, etc?  (I do that all the time)  And no, if there are chicken bone fragments they don't bother me. 

(Try chopping them when they are still slightly "frozen"/hard if one is afraid of fragments)

Hello- I always buy turkey legs that are already chopped like that!

Edited by Naftal (log)

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

Shelby, I've frozen a lot of pesto before (in Bell wide-mouth jars).  IMO they were not as good as freshly-made but still fine and I dug into them all throughout winter.  The taste does deteriorate over time in the non-vacuum-sealed jars I kept it in, especially when there are many jars of it.  I didn't make any this year.  (Somehow I never planted any basil this year and it has been barely available and at great cost at the Farmers' Markets this year - it has been a miserable growing season for it around here)

The surface of the basil pesto will oxidize/turn brown when it sits, even in a closed jar.  I expect it would not if you vacuum-sealed it. It's not as nice (the brown layer) but still OK to eat - or just scrape off the brown layer.  Or, pour a little olive oil on top *right away* after scooping out what one wants.  With the frozen stuff that actually is "digging it out" (some pressure needs to be applied :-) ) with a metal knife or spoon or whatever is handy.  :-D

p.s. I like my pesto with a lot more basil in it than what I see in your picture.  :-D  ;-)

Edited to change "basil" to "pesto"

I never got around to planting basil this year either, and the farm market go to usually gives you a handful of basil when you buy their tomatoes, but their basil crop this failed this year.  Usually I would make pesto, but leave out the cheese, and freeze it in small containers.  I always  poured a thin coating of olive oil on top before freezing it. If it was a bad year for basil in So. Jersey, and a bad year in Indiana, that may be an indication of a widespread problem developing for basil.  I hope not. I love my green glop and could eat it with a spoon.  I've never bought manufactured basil and never will. 

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

Used my Anova this evening to make salmon mi cuit. Brined the fish in a salt sugar solution briefly then after patting dry bagged them with a little olive oil and cooked them at 104F for 60 min then chilled a few hours until dinner time. Scrounged around the fridge and came up with carrots and roasted chestnuts so made a purée with them and served with blanched sea beans. It's cheesy plating but it tasted good

882bf91cd03f7b61c848230c743a1486.jpg

• Like 7

Tonight we had the mackerel I cooked yesterday, some sauté radishes with a drop of grape molasses and fresh coriander, radish greens. For the children I made breaded pork cutlets, carrots and broccoli stalks salad and roasted taro.

image.jpg

• Like 9

I never got around to planting basil this year either, and the farm market go to usually gives you a handful of basil when you buy their tomatoes, but their basil crop this failed this year.  Usually I would make pesto, but leave out the cheese, and freeze it in small containers.  I always  poured a thin coating of olive oil on top before freezing it. If it was a bad year for basil in So. Jersey, and a bad year in Indiana, that may be an indication of a widespread problem developing for basil.  I hope not. I love my green glop and could eat it with a spoon.  I've never bought manufactured basil and never will. 

I'm in Somerset County and this is the best year for basil that I remember...not for anything else unfortunately.  I'm thinking to bring some basil inside to overwinter.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

North Jersey wasn't much better due to the late cool and rainy spring we had.  My friend up in the Mid-Hudson valley had the same problem.  Let's see if this winter/spring is kinder to us here in the NE

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

David Thompson's mussaman curry really is something special. Every cook needs to try this wonderful recipe from 'Thai Food' for themselves. Though be warned it may spoil you for average high street Thai food for the rest of your life. This one was a duck curry.

PA140887.jpg

I made Canelé Bordelais earlier in the day and had these for dessert!

PA160925-2.jpg

PA160918.jpg

• Like 15

David Thompson's mussaman curry really is something special. Every cook needs to try this wonderful recipe from 'Thai Food' for themselves. Though be warned it may spoil you for average high street Thai food for the rest of your life. This one was a duck curry.

PA140887.jpg

I made Canelé Bordelais earlier in the day and had these for dessert!

PA160925-2.jpg

PA160918.jpg

WOW!  Those caneles look fantastic!  A friend made them recently and I gather they're not the easiest thing to get right.  Congrats.

Thanks guys. The canelé were surprisingly straightforward to make. It was my first attempt! Shelby Google Paula Wolfert recipe and cross reference it with Chezpim if like me you can't work in cups.

• Like 2

Seared scallops on angel hair pasta with a Thai inspired peanut sauce

4a8b28f7c1c0be77dbf14f4c0a244ac6.jpg

While waiting for my wife to get home, I did the scallops SV 50c x 60 min then seared when she got home. Not sure you get much from that exercise but they came out med rare. I was afraid to get much more surface sear for fear of over cooking

Edited by scubadoo97 (log)
  • Like 14