• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 5)

Shelby

Pizza%20Peel%20October%206th%2C%202014%2

My peel was too big for the Bakerstone, and I couldn't find a smaller peel locally, so I made my own. 

Gorgeous peel!

Saw one of those ovens for sale the other day in the hardware store - wondered how well they worked.  Thanks for showing us.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

Jesusfdezprieto, look forward to your posts.

Huiray,  your food is always so vibrant.  Easy to imagine all the flavours.

CatPoet,  I haven't made Swedish Meatballs in at least a year.  They look delicious.  Now I have a craving.  

Kim, I would be happy with a bowl of your chili and cornbread for breakfast.

Last night's dinner.

Grilled%20Filets%20October%208th%2C%2020Grilled%20Filets%20October%208th%2C%2020

Grilled filets with parisienne potatoes, zucchini and cherry tomatoes and

Mushrooms%20and%20creme%20fraiche%20in%2

mushrooms in a cream sauce with thyme and creme fraiche in toast cups.

Chicken%20Livers%20with%20Oregano%20and%

Chicken Livers Greek style.

• Like 12

72 hours at 54C (130F) is absolutely incredible. Currently doing that now. A bag might have leaked, but I'm letting them go and see how it turns out.

Check this out - http://www.chefsteps.com/activities/short-ribs-time-and-temp

I will have to try that next time.  I think my favorite part about sous vide short rib is that about 6-8 oz serving is the perfect amount -- much less than with a conventional steak.

Shelby – yep!  I cannot eat chili without cornbread.  Or else saltines :wink: .  Your smoked turkey breast sandwiches have been calling my name since you had them.  Mr. Kim is trying smoked ribs for the first time on Saturday and I think I’ve convinced him to put a turkey breast on the lower rack! 

Ann – gorgeous steak.  And Mr. Kim would keel over at that mushroom sauce!  I would do the keeling over at those lovely livers :wub: .  Sigh.

Tonight was pirogues and Gypsy bacon purchased from a Eastern European market near us, green beans from the Sanitary Café in Reidsville, NC (I love them and stock my freezer when I visit) and yellow squash:

med_gallery_3331_114_4735.jpg

I’ve never seen bacon that looked like this:

med_gallery_3331_114_101379.jpg

• Like 7

Jesus: I am  jealous ! I live in the wrong part of Sweden for good blood sausage of any kind. *sigh*

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

'Twas my 40th birthday yesterday.  I only cried a couple times lol.

I decided I was going to treat myself to some of my favorite things to eat.

Kumamoto oysters

photo 1.JPG

I swore I didn't want to have to cook/clean up, but I did it anyway.  I'm sitting here looking at a sink full of dirty dishes, but it was worth it :)

Cold smoked salmon, pimento cheese, caviar, oysters, shrimp and foie gras

For dessert I ordered gelato from Zingerman's.  I had never had gelato before.  I liked it!

photo 2.JPG

• Like 16

Happy belated birthday, Shelby. What an amazing feast to treat yourself to! I hope you weren't too sad at hitting your 5th decade because, from this side of that barrier (by a long shot) looking back, I think my 40s and probably 50s were the best times of my life - and I am sure they will be for you too. Savour every moment ... and every delicious morsel of your favorite foods!  

Edited because I can't count.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 2

Happy belated birthday, Shelby. What an amazing feast to treat yourself to! I hope you weren't too sad at hitting your 4th decade because, from this side of that barrier (by a long shot) looking back, I think my 40s and probably 50s were the best times of my life - and I am sure they will be for you too. Savour every moment ... and every delicious morsel of your favorite foods!  

At 67, I agree with you!  I think my 40th was one of my best!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Dinner last night.....homemade Banh Mi sandwiches (I even made the baguettes) with '33' beers.  Sorry no pics!

Shelby...Happy BD....40, cripes you're just a kid!

• Like 1

For dessert I ordered gelato from Zingerman's.  I had never had gelato before.  I liked it!

Happy Belated, Shelby! What flavour of gelato? Your dinner looks lovely, but hubby should definitely have done the dishes for you!    :laugh:

• Like 1

Happy Belated, Shelby! What flavour of gelato? Your dinner looks lovely, but hubby should definitely have done the dishes for you!    :laugh:

Thank you EVERYONE so much for the birthday wishes.  You guys are great :)

Yeah.....I dunno why I didn't force him in to that chore....sigh.....

Oh Zingerman's had a 6 flavor array that they sent!  I've only tasted two so far--Michigan raspberry and vanilla.  They also sent peanut butter, chocolate, mint chocolate and dulce de leche.  Yeah, I'm pretty much in heaven :)

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 4

Have a cold, so reheated leftover turkey chili retrieved from freezer depths...didn't look like enough so also cooked some lentils to add to it, threw in a small can of fire roasted tomatoes, and made farro to serve with instead of brown rice. Couldn't taste much, but the burn at the back of the throat felt good

• Like 2

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

Cold smoked salmon, pimento cheese, caviar, oysters, shrimp and foie gras

Happy birthday Shelby. Your celebratory food choices are amazing - love them all!   Did you order the foie online?  

Don't cry, I am closer to 60 than you are to 50!

• Like 1