• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 5)

Shelby

I've never considered sea bass sashimi at home. Salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, razor clam all yes but never sea bass. But it was so fresh that I couldn't resist. I cured it kombujime style. Basically a light sprinkling of salt and sandwich between damp kombu for a couple of hours. It was excellent, just the right texture.  

IMAGE_72.jpg

Very nice.  Great knife skills too.  Please tell me more about that plate?

Tangy shrimp.

Vegetable oil, chopped smashed garlic, some slices of fresh young ginger, de-shelled de-veined wild American shrimp.  Shrimp cooked till just barely done, removed, reserved.

Peanut oil added to the pan, rest of the (generous) sliced young fresh ginger went in; tossed around; chopped ripe de-skinned tomatoes added, fish sauce [Red Boat], hon-mirin [Takara], tamarind slurry (from a tablespoon of paste), some of the shrimp marinating liquid.  Cooked down.  Sliced red onions went in, followed shortly after by trimmed scallions & hot long green chillies.  The reserved shrimp went back in, tossed to re-warm and mix in.

Shrimp was premarinated in Shaohsing wine, black sesame oil, corn oil, ground white pepper, splash of light soy sauce (“sang chau”), jozo mirin.

White rice (Thai hom mali).

DSCN2809a_800.jpg

• Like 6

Tangy shrimp.

Vegetable oil, chopped smashed garlic, some slices of fresh young ginger, de-shelled de-veined wild American shrimp.  Shrimp cooked till just barely done, removed, reserved.

Peanut oil added to the pan, rest of the (generous) sliced young fresh ginger went in; tossed around; chopped ripe de-skinned tomatoes added, fish sauce [Red Boat], hon-mirin [Takara], tamarind slurry (from a tablespoon of paste), some of the shrimp marinating liquid.  Cooked down.  Sliced red onions went in, followed shortly after by trimmed scallions & hot long green chillies.  The reserved shrimp went back in, tossed to re-warm and mix in.

Shrimp was premarinated in Shaohsing wine, black sesame oil, corn oil, ground white pepper, splash of light soy sauce (“sang chau”), jozo mirin.

White rice (Thai hom mali).

attachicon.gifDSCN2809a_800.jpg

huray- Your amazing dish got me to thinking (always a bad thing, me thinking :smile: ): Could I use the liquid I use for hung-shu style cooking as a marinade? Do you think it would work?

"As life's pleasures go, food is second only to sex.Except for salami and eggs...Now that's better than sex, but only if the salami is thickly sliced"--Alan King (1927-2004)

huray- Your amazing dish got me to thinking (always a bad thing, me thinking :smile: ): Could I use the liquid I use for hung-shu style cooking as a marinade? Do you think it would work?

Thanks for the compliment.

If by "hung-shu" you mean "紅燒" ("hongshao"; a.k.a. Jyutping/Yale Cantonese hung4 siu1) then I don't see why not, if that is what you'd like to try.  I myself would probably not use the typical marinade for that on shrimp/prawn, as IMO I think the flavor of the shrimp/prawn would be lost.  (I myself would also add some sort of acid if I were to try it and cut down on the amount of soy sauce - both light and thick/dark - that would go into a typical hung4 siu1 marinade, plus eliminate the star anise & cinnamon.  But then it would no longer be a hung4 siu1 marinade, I suppose.  Still, perhaps I might try it just for the hell of it myself!  Alternatively, maybe dilute the marinade with something - even just water; or rice wine, or something.  Perhaps some corn flour or egg white might go in too, both of which I did not use for this dish.  Or cut it with stock made from the shells and heads of the shrimp one had just peeled. :-)  Many other things could be tried.

I’ve been out of commission again.  Was in NC on a trip for a while and came home with pneumonia.  I’ve been looking at this thread and ‘liking’ lots, but not posting.  I credit you all with restoring my appetite!  Finally starting to cook again!  Last night’s dinner was a test for possible Christmas Eve meal – America’s Test Kitchen’s Modern Beef Burgundy:

med_gallery_3331_114_22751.jpg

It was absolutely delicious and extremely easy to do.  The sauce is deep and rich tasting and everything you want in Beef Burgundy.

• Like 11

Kim,

That beef burgundy looks amazing.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Good grief, Kim, what do we need to do to keep you out of the sick house????  No more of that, girl!

I second Anna, that looks soooo unctuous.  I need to remember to try this out.  

• Like 1

My husband made potato soup last night.  He kicks my butt on potato soup.  It is very creamy.  I may have eaten another bowl for breakfast  :unsure:

photo 4.JPG

I made toasted cheese sandwiches to go with

photo 3.jpg

• Like 10

Shelby,

That looks like loaded baked potato soup. I had thought about making it for lunch today but it was a bit late. It is one of my favorite soups

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

That's a nice spread, reallyoldguy. Welcome to eGullet.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

fried chicken.. my friend uses this term un-improvable. and i just love it.   i have been making fried chicken for a long time, tonight was the best i think i ever made. 

brined for a day

15418563916_53d51e69ce_z.jpg

buttermilk'd for a day 

15438442721_8e5a431af3_z.jpg

seasoned flour for an hour or so..i have this method where i flour and then sort of dab with my fingers with buttermilk on them and re-flour.  you need to let them rest with the flour on them for at least an hour to get it tacky. 

15440747045_c339fd1f90_z.jpg

15441168292_96d3f35b3a_z.jpg

stupid good.. i couldn't imagine a better chicken.  

15440395602_96b9f1232a_z.jpg

gluten free

15441372342_8bfe3c81a6_z.jpg

green beans with hot apple cider vinegar and tarron

15437550101_6c2f00c0b3_z.jpg

biscuits, salad, honey, butter, hot sauce.. 

15253964709_65ceeb1284_z.jpg

gelato:

15254154407_e153bf1c3a_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 14

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Beautiful, basquecook!  I especially love the gelato colors, but I'm a sucker for good fried chicken.

Tonight was a celebration (new plates!) as well as an experiment: smoking turkey thighs.  I've smoked plenty of chicken, pork, beef, but never turkey.  We're glad I got around to it. The turkey was accompanied by tomatoes rescued before tonight's predicted freeze, dandelion greens wilted with a dressing that included smoked turkey drippings, pan-roasted beets and potatoes, and seasonal beer.

New plates dinner table.jpg

• Like 5

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Chicken curry.

White rice (Daawat basmati).

Curry:  Oil, fine brunoise of yellow onion & shallots, chopped smashed garlic, ground candlenuts (buah keras), ground galangal, curry leaves (Murraya koenigii), ground cumin, ground coriander seed, ground turmeric, sliced red cayenne chillies (not deseeded); chicken quarter & drumstick & thigh pieces, salt; wholes cloves, green cardamom pods, water; Rose Finn Apple fingerlings; sliced Hatch chiles; coconut milk; seasoning adjusted. Heat shut off, left to rest for a bit.

DSCN2813a_800.jpg

• Like 5

A simple dinner for me tonight but it was so perfect it warrants mention:

Leftover chicken tetrazzini, 3 minute boiled asparagus, mayonnaise.  Usually I serve asparagus with hollandaise, but along with chicken tetrazzini, hollandaise seemed like gilding the lily.  I used olive oil for the mayonnaise.

• Like 4

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

not the most photogenic but the best meal I have eaten in weeks. 

mushroom risotto finished with black pepper, parm and a drizzle of evoo.  I put  too much on the plate but I finished every drop. 

8f76fc09-1da8-4497-a79f-fb418892cfdb_zps

• Like 5

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Foie gras ravioli with white truffles from Alba

Screen_shot_2014_10_05_at_6_15_48_PM.png
Screen_shot_2014_10_05_at_6_16_00_PM.png

Foie gras ravioli with white truffles from Alba

Screen_shot_2014_10_05_at_6_15_48_PM.png
Screen_shot_2014_10_05_at_6_16_00_PM.png

PATE' d foie gras or foie gras?  I can never imagine doing anything other than searing the liver :)  And what IS that sauce please?

• Like 1