• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 5)

Shelby

20140930_173235_zps64957ab6.jpg

This might not look like much,  but this is a recipe I invented many years ago.  A long  long time ago, I was  married to prince  Not-So-Charming,  he  used  to want things we couldnt afford due to him spending all the money on junk.   And he wasnt nice  when he didnt get his  wish.  So  one night  when    Prince  Not-So-Charming was in one of his mood and demanded  burgers, big fat burgers  which more meat then we had or could afford.   I thought, there must be away to please my master, to make him shut up.  So I grated a   carrots, parsnip and celeriac root and a onion and added it to the meat. Pressed  them into burger and cooked them slowly  to perfection and served with burger bread, fries  and honey mustard  dressing  ( which mum had come over with due to a special deal) .  He loved them and was please and told me afterwards  that  he was right  burgers are better then a stew with carrots and other horrors.  I just smiled and said yes dear.

And that is how the autumn burger was born.

It is about  500 gram meat mixed with 2 cups of  finely grated vegetable ( 2 carrots, 1/4 celeriac, 2 parsnip and 1 onion), salt, pepper and  thyme and then fried until the veggies are done.  It is lovely. 

And now  a days  I am  married  to  MacPrince, the  none kilted charmer ;)   and he loves this  dish.

Edited by CatPoet (log)
  • Like 4

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I like the sound of the autumn burger, CatPoet, and admire your ingenuity. Thanks for sharing.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

so, i ate tacos dorados twice today.. i threw in a jog so, i got that going for me.. one for breakfast out of my house, then i came home and made with oaxaca cheese. 

Refried beans, tacos, salsa lettuce, cheese, then creme and then a pepper sauce..  

15411702501_05fd0878e0_z.jpg

15228287118_a820c97078_z.jpg

ugly photos but, i am surprised i even waited to plate them to eat them.. 

15228334587_00c8f55cc4_z.jpg

• Like 4

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

so, i ate tacos dorados twice today.. i threw in a jog so, i got that going for me.. one for breakfast out of my house, then i came home and made with oaxaca cheese. 

Refried beans, tacos, salsa lettuce, cheese, then creme and then a pepper sauce..  

15411702501_05fd0878e0_z.jpg

15228287118_a820c97078_z.jpg

ugly photos but, i am surprised i even waited to plate them to eat them.. 

15228334587_00c8f55cc4_z.jpg

I've never seen a taco that looks like that.  They look like what are called "taquitos" and they're generally a snack.  Where do you live please?

• Like 1

Taquitos is an acceptable term. Dorado is "golden" so fried or golden taco. I live in NYC but, this is not apart of my culture. I was sitting on the couch last night and said, I want taquitos. Maybe I will have them for breakfast. But, the ones I bought at the bodega were just ok so, I still had the itch.

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 1

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Taquitos is an acceptable term. Dorado is "golden" so fried or golden taco. I live in NYC but, this is not apart of my culture. I was sitting on the couch last night and said, I want taquitos. Maybe I will have them for breakfast. But, the ones I bought at the bodega were just ok so, I still had the itch.

Funny.  I thought Dorado was a fish :)    Now i understand!

So recently Kerry Beal sent me a link to the Serious Eats set of recipes for D I Y instant noodles. Designed to answer the question "what shall I take to work for lunch?" They are built in a jar from various ingredients. I absolutely had to try the system even though I do not work and don't need to take a packed lunch anywhere!

image.jpg

The ingredients assembled in the jar.

image.jpg

After boiling water is added, the lid is closed and 3 mins elapse.

This first attempt was not entirely successful. The noodles which I had on hand were not sufficiently cooked in the three minutes suggested. And although I cut back on the amount of chili garlic sauce the finished product was still too spicy for my liking.

Still I see so much potential for this idea and hope to play around with it some more.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Pumpkin risotto with confit pigeon legs and smoked bacon

Screen_shot_2014_10_01_at_8_26_21_PM.png

Squab?

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I cooked a steak tonight on the Zojioroshi grill.  Actually the other half of the steak that I had the other day as teppan yaki.  Served with asparagus and baked potato with sour cream, garnish of sautéed mushrooms and garlic.  The grill cooks faster than I thought and the steak had only a small amount of pink.  Really nice grill marks, for what that is worth.  Good, but more well done than I had wanted.  I had it with a bottle of Malbec so I didn't care.

Still no smoke or mess.  When I grill a steak on the stove I set off all the smoke detectors.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I cooked a steak tonight on the Zojioroshi grill.  Actually the other half of the steak that I had the other day as teppan yaki.  Served with asparagus and baked potato with sour cream, garnish of sautéed mushrooms and garlic.  The grill cooks faster than I thought and the steak had only a small amount of pink.  Really nice grill marks, for what that is worth.  Good, but more well done than I had wanted.  I had it with a bottle of Malbec so I didn't care.

Still no smoke or mess.  When I grill a steak on the stove I set off all the smoke detectors.

Thanks very much for both reports on the grill. Living alone I am not too inclined to fire up the barbecue but might one day consider an indoor grill. This Zo sounds like a much better option than the ones I had in the past.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

So recently Kerry Beal sent me a link to the Serious Eats set of recipes for D I Y instant noodles. Designed to answer the question "what shall I take to work for lunch?" They are built in a jar from various ingredients. I absolutely had to try the system even though I do not work and don't need to take a packed lunch anywhere!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

The ingredients assembled in the jar.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

After boiling water is added, the lid is closed and 3 mins elapse.

This first attempt was not entirely successful. The noodles which I had on hand were not sufficiently cooked in the three minutes suggested. And although I cut back on the amount of chili garlic sauce the finished product was still too spicy for my liking.

Still I see so much potential for this idea and hope to play around with it some more.

I saw that also and I don't work either (retired) but still thought it was brilliant!  I'd have to reread but I thought with some of the noodles they were parboiled.  Did you do that?  Pho noodles wouldn't have to be.

mgaretz

what an interesting idea !

Im not sure what

""  reverse seared ""

means.  do you think you got any additional 'tenderness'  from the freeze ?

it  certainly looks tender and delicious and rare

Im sorry you had no Left Overs

:biggrin:

many they might have made a Mighty Fine Sandwich the next day, on some crunchy bread ?

Edited by rotuts (log)

I saw that also and I don't work either (retired) but still thought it was brilliant! I'd have to reread but I thought with some of the noodles they were parboiled. Did you do that? Pho noodles wouldn't have to be.

I used pho noodles! If I had read their cooking instructions first I would have realized that they required six minutes! I just came from the grocery store with a very limited array of dried noodles and perhaps another time I will buy a packet of the ones I looked at that said they were steamed and then dried and required only three minutes of cooking. I am heading north again for three weeks and did not want to buy any groceries today.

Edited because the dictation system is imperfect. Surely it couldn't be my enunciation!

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

mgaretz

what an interesting idea !

Im not sure what

""  reverse seared ""

means.  do you think you got any additional 'tenderness'  from the freeze ?

it  certainly looks tender and delicious and rare

Im sorry you had no Left Overs

:biggrin:

many they might have made a Mighty Fine Sandwich the next day, on some crunchy bread ?

Reverse sear means you cook it low to temp, then sear and serve.  I guess a regular sear would be when you sear it first and then bring it slowly to temp.

120F because the searing will raise the temp some more.

Who said there were no leftovers?   :rolleyes:

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

What would you do with a spanking fresh sea bass and a live crab?

IMAGE_36.jpg

I've never considered sea bass sashimi at home. Salmon, tuna, mackerel, herring, razor clam all yes but never sea bass. But it was so fresh that I couldn't resist. I cured it kombujime style. Basically a light sprinkling of salt and sandwich between damp kombu for a couple of hours. It was excellent, just the right texture.  

IMAGE_72.jpg

The crab I steamed and picked the flesh out. It was a female with a little roe that was used as a garnish to a vibrant salad of cukes, daikon, carrot, baby corn, sugar snap peas, green mango, mint, thai basil, coriander and fiery nuoc cham dressing made with birdseye chillis:

20140903g.JPG

• Like 16