• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 5)

Shelby

Jo,

Like to tell me more about your Zoji grill?

image.jpg

Lamb chops with potato and carrot "hash".

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Thanks mm.

15211724669_ae38d40957_z.jpg

Prosciutto di Parma, with roasted figs and ricotta salata.

The figs were soaked in a little port, then roasted in a 350 F oven with olive oil, sea salt and black pepper.

15398146192_8691a6f19f_z.jpg

Penne with sweet peppers, anchovy and olives.

15211726999_87cffa95be_z.jpg

15398471445_10769481a2_z.jpg

Fried tomatoes with garlic, parsley and pipelchuma.

15211961927_e8188ec552_z.jpg

Arctic char, North African herb sauce

• Like 9

A riff on an old-fashioned Cantonese dish, 金華玉樹雞.

This iteration was: Yellow chicken (breasts, wings, legs only; carcass reserved for stock some other time) cut-up into pieces, bone-in; marinated w/ generous Shaohsing wine, a little sesame oil, jozo mirin, a bit of light soy sauce, ground white pepper, lots of sliced medium-young ginger.  Steamed w/ slices of cured ham§ plus some of the marinade in an enameled metal dish, then transferred to and arranged w/ trimmed kai-lan previously blanched in oiled boiling water.  Steaming juices poured over.

Eaten w/ white rice.

DSCN2783a_800.jpg

Jyutping: gam1 waa4 juk6 syu6 gai1.  (a.k.a. "Jinhua Yushu chicken").

§  From Prime Foods, US-made; patterned after real Jinhua ham and labeled as such: "金華火腿"; but of course is not the "real thing".  I thought of using shaved Jamon Serrano; I think I'll try that one next time.

• Like 4

S-i-l ToBe continues to play with the makeshift smoker and we've been enjoying all his efforts.

A large bone-in pork picnic for 14-hours = pulled pork. I have no idea what he used for rub or the sauce. He had complete freedom of my pantry and kitchen. It was delicious!

SmokedButt0074.jpg

HolidayBrusselSprouts0076.jpg

PulledPork&Sprouts0081.jpg

He added racks of ribs a little later, also in time for supper! He used one of these red chilis and it packed heat!

SAmokedRibs0078.jpg

SmokedRib0080.jpg

The fire was still going strong, so he threw a quartered chicken on. He used some kind of concoction for rub and slices of lemon under the skin. I took them out after he went to bed, and the skin was crispy, meat succulent...lunch for today!

SmokedChicken0085.jpg

I DID get to cook supper one night,(not that I am complaining. :rolleyes:):  Roast beef and Yorkies

SeptPrimeRib0064.jpg

Steamed veg. with left over burnte butter

YorkiesSept0061.jpg

• Like 12

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Prosciutto di Parma, with roasted figs and ricotta salata.

The figs were soaked in a little port, then roasted in a 350 F oven with olive oil, sea salt and black pepper.

SobaAddict, everything looks delicious, but this is what I would love to try. 

Dejah,   YUM!!  Perfectly cooked roast beef.

Made a Tarte Flambee for dinner last night.

A Flammkuchen made with a yeast dough crust. 

Flammkuchen%20September%2029th%2C%202014

Topped with a garlic seasoned Creme Fraiche, sauteed onions and bacon.

Bacon is just on half because somehow I raised a son that won't eat pork.

Flammkuchen%20September%2029th%2C%202014

I made a large batch of baguette dough yesterday.  Bread will be baked today.   Used a little to make this  'pizza' crust.

• Like 8

Continuing to work my way through Franci's pastas. Tagliatelle burro pancetta e salvia (pasta with noisette butter, pancetta and fresh sage):

tagliatelle.jpg

Served with heirloom tomato salad

tomatoes.jpg

Also returned to yellow eye beans Tuscan style, but this time I roasted Hatch chiles and used them as a base

yellow_eye_beans_hatch.jpg

Served with zucchini fried in butter (anyone who says you can't do this is wrong - some bizarreness out there on the web)

zucchini.jpg

yeah I like sage and grow it :)
  • Like 11

Howdy.  Still cooking, just not taking photos. Glad to see you all are!

eggplants were selling two for a dollar at the store yesterday.  I had tomato sauce in the fridge already made.  I purchased a half a pound of sliced mozzarella, Boars Head. Salted the eggplant.. Then, instead of using bread crumbs, just dipped in flour egg and flour.  Deep fried the eggplant, topped with sauce, thai basil and then broiled the cheese.  

Despite all the short cuts and whatever, it came out good.  

15395196791_afa4f980e1_z.jpg

• Like 5

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Gosh well it's been a while since I last posted dinner but enough lurking already!

Here's what we had tonight; smoked bone marrow with chimichurri and shallot rings. Mackerel, brown shrimp corn and mentaiko mayo potatoes. A pear tart to finish.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 8

Gosh well it's been a while since I last posted dinner but enough lurking already!

Here's what we had tonight; smoked bone marrow with chimichurri and shallot rings. Mackerel, brown shrimp corn and mentaiko mayo potatoes. A pear tart to finish.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

How long and at what temp did you smoke the bone marrow please?  I have a bag in the freezer.  TIA.

I cold smoked it first for a couple of hours then roasted in a fan oven for 20 mins at 200C

Now THAT makes sense :)  I thought you heat smoked it and couldn't figure out that one.  I see you had the canoe-shaped.  Mine are crosscut and I've done on thick pieces of bread so as not to lose a drop :)  Thanks.

the thing with eggplant is.. My bride is pregnant and not eating red meat.  Well, at her whim. Like, i made a 5 lb meatloaf last week for some friends and she loved that.. Though, the next day she made a cold sandwich and she couldn't even eat it.  So, it's a safe bet to just stay away.  

In terms of tasteless eggplant, i don't know.. I heavily salted them to drain the water. then i added a seasoned crust.  it was much more textural but, the sauce rocked and the thai basil from the garden was a nice touch. 

But yeh, for me, eggplant is not my favorite.  Though, because of her love of eggplant, there have been times when I have been shocked by how good some eggplant dishes have been.  You throw enough miso on eggplant and well, it tastes like miso. It can be a good vehicle. it holds smoke well.  but, i have had stuffed eggplant pasta that was good.. i have had noodles that were actually made with pureed eggplant and that was really surprising. . But, yah, would I have liked to have used some veal shoulder instead.  Yes.  

Tonight I brought home a salmon steak for the little one and tied it up the way she likes it.  Served medium rare after searing in butter.. Lemon after. 

I cooked a branzino on the plancha.  Cooked it like perfectly.. Detached the filets for the most part from the spine.. added slices of garlic and salt.  Cooked for about 4 minutes on each side in olive oil and healthy amount of salt.. 

15382754676_e35ec2cf40_z.jpg

The skin on the branzino was like a potato chip

15219274507_564c151ac8_z.jpg

more vegetables on special.. 

15219273107_afca59df0b_z.jpg

arugala, peppers and tomatoes from the backyard. 

dinner was like 14 bucks for three people

15405792325_309564c859_z.jpg

edit to add.  come to think of it, the best eggplant dish i may have had in recent memory was while in this last trip to china.. they stuffed eggplant coins with pork, fried and served in a garlic and ginger sauce.. that was stupid good. 

14294602036_41e4de674c_z.jpg

Edited by basquecook (log)
  • Like 9

“I saw that my life was a vast glowing empty page and I could do anything I wanted" JK

Jo,

Like to tell me more about your Zoji grill?

Please pardon the paraphernalia in the background:

http://tribade.org/kitchen/Grill.jpg

It works.  Nothing (yet) to complain of.  The base is plastic.  the drip pan is stainless steel (covered with aluminum foil in the picture).  The grill itself is very heavy metal with the heating element embedded in it.  The grill and the temperature control must be washed by hand.  The other parts can go in the dishwasher.

No smoke, no mess.  I have yet to try it with a steak.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Freanci :   are the " Bruxelles sprouts" leaves raw or blanched ?

Not blanched, just stir fried in the wok with oil, chili peppers and garlic. Stir fry on high until the wilt slightly,  add a little bit of water, lower and steam cover for a couple of minutes.

I tried with outer greener leaves (the one people usually discard), inner paler and I like much better the outer leaves because they are more flavorful. Definitely one of my best recent discoveries. I keep the hearts for shaving in salads or saute' whole.

broussel sprouts00001.jpeg

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 3

Franci, thank you for that extra information.  We do a lot of brussels sprouts, but I have had only one way to cook them that tasted good to me.  I think now I'll have two.  :cool:

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Franci, thank you for that extra information.  We do a lot of brussels sprouts, but I have had only one way to cook them that tasted good to me.  I think now I'll have two.  :cool:

I don't know how often you do "E/SE Asian" type dishes including stir-fries...but simply use brussels sprouts as the "vegetable" part in some stir-fries (as Franci does) – with meat-of-your-choice if you want (like this).