• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 5)

Shelby

BLT's with tomatoes from the garden, homemade bread and homemade mayo.

I had the WORST time with the mayo.  I added a splash too much vinegar and I had a struggle to get it thickened up again.  

photo 1.JPG

Deviled eggs using eggs from my girl down the road.  They were too fresh.  Thus, they look horrible, but they tasted good lol.

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

• Like 12

I shouldn't come here to browse so early in the morning.  Now I will have cravings all day.

This is a catch up post.

Pizza last night.

Margherita%20Pizza%20September%2026th%2C

One with basil and olives

Sausage%20and%20Mushroom%20September%202

and one with Italian sausage and mushrooms.  Both with mozzarella di bufala made locally here on the Island.

Grilled%20Sirloin%20Burgers%20September%

Ground top sirloin steaks to make burgers.

Grilled%20Sirloin%20Cap%20Roast%20Septem

Sirloin Cap Roast

Grilled%20Sirloin%20Cap%20Roast%20Septem

Everything cooked on the grill.  

Grilled%20Baby%20Back%20Ribs%20September

Grilled Baby Back Ribs with TBQ sauce and roasted potatoes.

• Like 13

Both with mozzarella di bufala made locally here on the Island.

Just wondering which cheesemaker you buy from. I know Natural Pastures up here in Courtenay makes Mozzarella di Bufala.

(I used to occasionally visit Hilary's Cheese in Cow Bay when I lived further south on the Island.) 

Grilled Vietnamese meatballs w fish sauce caramel, jalepenos and pickled carrot. Tasty.attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Looks like a GREAT version of banh mi.  Could you share the recipe for the meatballs please?  If you haven't already you may want to check out Andrea Nguyen's new book "Banh Mi Handbook." I LOVE it!

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/banh-mi-handbook.html

Looks like a GREAT version of banh mi.  Could you share the recipe for the meatballs please?  If you haven't already you may want to check out Andrea Nguyen's new book "Banh Mi Handbook." I LOVE it!

http://www.vietworldkitchen.com/blog/banh-mi-handbook.html

Tanks for the book reco! No real recipe for the meatballs-I looked at a bunch online and came up w my own. Ground pork marinated w fish sauce, chopped garlic, thai chili, sugar salt and pepper.

The caramel sauce was inspired by the wing glaze at Pok Pok. Just a Vietnamese caramel sauce (from Andreas blog btw) and swirl in some fish sauce at the end. Glaze the meatballs as they finish on the grill.

• Like 2

S-i-l -to-be dug out my old BBQ and used it again for a smoker. With lump charcoal and split cedar (leftover scraps from another project ), he smoked salmon for supper tonight. Picked up pretty bell peppers at our Superstore - all in a bin for .98 / lb! So daughter did up eggplant, peppers and sweet potato slices on the BBQ...All colourful and delicious.

BBQPeppers0020.jpg

Ryan'sSmokedSalmon0018.jpg

Ryan rubbed the salmon with Tamari soya, maple syrup, and a squeeze of lemon. It was really good!

Daughter is on a keto-diet, so we made Zuppa Toscana with kohlrabi and eggplant instead of potato. Had a small bowl for late night snack, along with a chunk of buttermilk biscuit. The rest will be for lunch tomorrow!.

ZuppaToscana0034.jpg

• Like 4

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Soup.

Oil, sliced garlic, sour shrimp paste (Tom Yum; gia vị nấu canh chua) [Golden Boy], quartered red shishito peppers, (mostly) whole small green shishito peppers, water, simmer; green zucchini batons, sliced standard white mushrooms, jozo mirin, dash of fish sauce [Red Boat], hon mirin; de-shelled de-veined large wild American shrimp.

I had seconds and thirds and then was too full to cook something else. :-)

DSCN2775b_800.jpg

• Like 1

image.jpg

Confit chicken leg with pasta tossed in garlic infused cream.

• Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Tanks for the book reco! No real recipe for the meatballs-I looked at a bunch online and came up w my own. Ground pork marinated w fish sauce, chopped garlic, thai chili, sugar salt and pepper.

The caramel sauce was inspired by the wing glaze at Pok Pok. Just a Vietnamese caramel sauce (from Andreas blog btw) and swirl in some fish sauce at the end. Glaze the meatballs as they finish on the grill.

Thanks.  Sounds super.  I'm a real fan of hers especially after attending her Asian dumplings class last year.  She's a very down to earth, good teacher.

Deviled eggs using eggs from my girl down the road.  They were too fresh.  Thus, they look horrible, but they tasted good lol.

Shelby, did you boil or steam the eggs? Also is that a mac and cheese with tomatoes? 

I love BLTs and need to make my own mayo sometime (been on my list for a while!).

• Like 1

Shelby, did you boil or steam the eggs? Also is that a mac and cheese with tomatoes? 

I love BLTs and need to make my own mayo sometime (been on my list for a while!).

I boiled them.  

Yes, I love tomatoes in mac and cheese :)

You will love the taste of the mayo.  It's so much better than store bought...although, I settle for sb most of the time.

Cherry tomatoes are still decent, so I thought I'd do a different version of pasta from Franci's recipe that I tried last weekend.

This is from Ruth Rogers and though it may look similar, it could not be more different - butter instead of olive oil (and lots of it), huge amounts of pecorino, and nutmeg. More rib-sticking than fresh and buoyant, but I like both!

spaghetti.jpg

• Like 5

Patricamory – “More rib-sticking than fresh and buoyant”, agree.

Anna N – That confit chicken leg looks great. I will have to try that. Can’t find ducks here in stores.

Mm84321 – the Scottish partridge, beautifully done.

Ann_T – It’s never boring food coming out from your kitchen.

Shelby - BLT's with tomatoes from the garden, homemade bread and homemade mayo., ultimate meal!

Franci – very pretty plating, almost like abstract painting.

Dejah – Cute doggie, and you have very hair arms. LOL!

Huiray – Always amazing cooking style.

Chris Taylor – Very interesting nigiri of kombu.

SobaAddict – you made scallops my favorite way.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

A few recent meals.

dcarch

Smoked ribs

SmokedBBQribsparsnip.jpg

SmokedBBQribsparsnip2.jpg

SV boneless chicken breasts

Crispychickenwhiteasparagus.jpg

Crispychickenwhiteasparagus2.jpg

SV London Broil, cream of corn

londonbroilhostacreamedcorn3.jpg

londonbroilhostacreamedcorn2.jpg

• Like 11

Did some Nice Zucchini noodles..  which I cut..salted. seasoned with my home Italian seasoning.. got rid of most of the moisture .. cooked in a brown butter and finished w/ fresh basil

add to my Sunday Gravy

IMG_7565.JPG

• Like 6

Its good to have Morels

15198927849_45a666dbb2_z.jpg

15385363802_d03f43f1ff_z.jpg

1 lb. Prince Edward Island mussels steamed in 1/4 cup sauvignon blanc, with 1 tablespoon chopped shallots

15385653105_4ea9993d57_z.jpg

Shelled mussels being cooked in olive oil with shallots and sweet peppers

15362665106_494854f1d7_z.jpg

Some leftover shishito peppers that I had to use; these were seared in a hot pan along with some olive oil

15362664806_684ec636c6_z.jpg

15362664516_38e39df3a2_z.jpg

Mussels with shishito and sweet peppers

Sur Le Fil 2012 Sauvignon Blanc, Lake County, California

15385653665_f9ce28b47e_z.jpg

15382490411_2abf704354_z.jpg

Fried potatoes with mixed olives and sriracha

15385365592_941c279919_z.jpg

15198997000_291d1cae66_z.jpg

Cavatelli con cavolfiore e pomodorini ("cavatelli with cauliflower and cherry tomato")

• Like 8

I didn't take a picture of dinner, I was too busy enjoying the company of friends. We had some short ribs on the grill and this 3 pounds mackerel, also grilled. I warmed some oil with slivered garlic, rosemary and lemon peel, then dressed the cooked cleaned fish and sprinkled with fleur de sel. Some salad, roasted beets, sauté collards.

image.jpg

• Like 8

I'm having a bit of difficulty finding the cursor,  Tonight's dinner was teppan yaki.  Shizuo Tsuji, Japanese Cooking a simple Art pp 372-373.  I .bought a Zojioroshi  grill.  Wonderful appliance.  I cannot speak highly enough.

Beverage was Minato Harbor sake, that is after the Mississippi  punch.  I do love Mississippi punch.

Fortunately Minato is 21% alcohol.  But now the can is empty.  Yes I know it is rude to serve sake in the bottle, but Minato is unpasteurized and is sold in a can.  Thus I am blameless.

• Like 2

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou