• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2014 (Part 5)

Shelby

Very late dinner.

• Icelandic cod fillets steamed w/ sliced young ginger, scallions, pickled plums (酸甜梅) [Dragon brand], hon-mirin [Takara], fresh lime juice, rice bran oil, bit of sea salt, dash of sang chau.

• Pea shoot tips stir-fried w/ garlic.

• White rice (Thai hom mali).

DSCN2725a_800.jpg

DSCN2730a_800.jpg

• Like 3

That gumbo looks interesting, Shelby.  Why did you not put the shrimps/prawns in after all?

Well, the roux was so dark and rich that I think it would have taken away from the shrimp...and I don't get good head-on shrimp very often.  Also, duck+sausage=good and shrimp+sausage=good, but duck+shrimp=not so good maybe.

make Chicken Tikka with:

http://www.mayakaimal.com/prod-rs-tikkamasala#.VB7mTCheY8E

thawed CK that was vac'd after it was cooked.  added to the sauce

it was superb

Patak Biryani paste in the rice cooker w basmati rice. usual add-in after cooked : Fz peas, red onion, green onion

on the plate cashews and more green onions

the reason you can't see the pic is that I didnt have time to take one, the Tikka was Sooooooooo  good.

many thanks for the tip !

I highly recommend that sauce.   will try the shelf stable Madras next.

• Like 4

How'd you like it?

Made some interesting pumpkin ravioli tonight. The pumpkin is diced and cooked slowly for about 3 hours in a 275ºF oven, then mixed with diced mostarda di cremona (Italian mustard fruit), chopped amaretti cookies, grated parmesan, and nutmeg. Encased in a whole wheat dough, cooked and glazed in a reduced chicken consommé with butter, olive oil and sage. Served with seared lettuce and jamon iberico. Excellent melody of flavors.

Screen_shot_2014_09_21_at_8_16_42_PM.png
  • Like 9

How'd you like it?

It was great! I definitely want a bigger hare for next time though. The loin seemed to be half the size of the one you had the other day. Maybe I lost some when butchering it, but I don't think so.

But yeah, great dish. I need to do it a few more times to really get the refinement of it all down, but hey, this was the first time I've butchered, cooked, and ate a hare and it came out really great. Lots of work still to get it to look like your plate!

• Like 3

Ever since I bought The Nobu Vegetarian Cookbook I wanted to make the cover dish: nigiri of kombu-cured vegetables. 

I've made nigiri sushi only a couple of times several years ago and I think it shows. The rice is a work on progress: I could do with a lot more vinegar. I need to figure out how to get my fuzzy logic rice cooker to behave itself in the presence of sushi rice (I used 2 parts of brown rice to 1 part of sushi rice as my partner has a preference for the former). And, too, shaping the fingers of rice ... yeah ...

The cured vegetables were a mixed bag. I liked the carrots a lot. They're a keeper. The tomato was interesting. I expected it to be miserable and soggy, and tomatoes are out of season too, but I threw one in because Nobu recommended it. With a nice ripe tomato I think it would work nicely. The capsicum was a little weird. The baby turnip wasn't so good. The radish was okay, although I think I sliced it too finely. I think cucumbers could work well in this context. The Napa cabbage didn't work as well as I thought it would. Maybe it needs less time than something carrot. 

DSC_0002_zps8d7c9d11.jpg

• Like 5

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

We needed to use up the rest of the teal duck breasts, hearts and livers, so gumbo was just the ticket!  See more about it here on this wonderful Egullet Gumbo cook-off thread

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/61289-gumbo-cook-off-3/page-19#entry1987110

The meats:

Crappy, crappy andouille sausage, livers, hearts, duck and shrimp (which I didn't end up putting in)

attachicon.gifphoto 1.JPG

I know I put it in the cook-off thread, but I have to show off my roux.  Hershey bar color finally achieved after many times of being to impatient/hot/tired/etc. to wait for it.

attachicon.gifphoto 4.JPG

Cornbread to go with

attachicon.gifphoto 2.JPG

The picture of the roux must have been later on, right?

Cassie made dinner tonight. She made breaded chicken breast and spinach salad with walnuts, bleu cheese and raisins.  There was a honey mustard dressing that we used for both the chicken and salad. She also made some green beans with mushrooms and served leftover corn that i made a few days ago. It was all good.  The chicken breasts were moist and tender, not at all dry or tough. 

• Like 4

Chris, I think you shaped your rice beautifully.

Shrimp alfredo of sorts with homemade bread

attachicon.gifphoto 2.JPG

Shelby, what do you mean by "Shrimp alfredo of sorts"? It looks very good, and looks like the sort of thing I cobble together regularly, based on a Splendid Table description of Pasta Alfredo. So now I want to know whether we're doing the same thing...
  • Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Shelby, what do you mean by "Shrimp alfredo of sorts"? It looks very good, and looks like the sort of thing I cobble together regularly, based on a Splendid Table description of Pasta Alfredo. So now I want to know whether we're doing the same thing..

Well, I guess mine is sort of a mix between regular alfredo and a primavera???  I'm definitely a "cobbler-together" cook, too :)  The alfredo was just half and half (I was out of cream), butter, garlic, grated parm and an egg yolk.  Along with the shrimp I threw in some yellow squash and zukes (lol because you know I'm throwing those in everything this summer) mushrooms and some onions.

• Like 2

That sounds like more or less what I do.  I love the versatility of that skillet dish: saute the vegetables (asparagus is one of our favorites), sweat the onions if I'm using them, cook the meat to the appropriate level if it's going in, then start building the alfredo sauce around it. I've taken to using pasta water to help stretch the sauce without adding quite so many calories, but this is one of our luxury meals so I don't worry too much about it.  I've never added egg yolk. A favorite version involves asparagus and smoked salmon; the salmon gets folded in as the last step.

Edit: shrimp is another favorite protein, and chicken works pretty well also.

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I was too busy stirring so I had to take the picture after adding the trinity.

You need an assistant. Maybe you could get a collar camera for your kitty to snap some shots while you stir. I'm sure Kitty would be interested in watching the food prep and you would have hands-free pics!   :shock:  :laugh:

http://www.catster.com/lifestyle/cat-collar-camera-photos-behavior-cats-eyes

• Like 1

• Pull mustard stir-fried w/ just peanut oil & salt.

• Beef shanks braised w/ bamboo shoots, Chinese flower-pattern-cap mushrooms (dried), lily buds (dried), daikon, garlic, peanut oil, shiro-miso, fermented bean curd w/ wine & chili, hon-mirin.  Eaten w/ soba-yam noodles.

DSCN2750a_800.jpg

DSCN2752a_800.jpg

• Like 4