• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Buvette

SobaAddict70

Lovely sweet little place, except for the seating. We had one of the worst seats in the house after a 30-minute wait for a table for two people; must remember to come earlier to remediate that problem.

Buvette

42 Grove Street (Bleecker Street)

Greenwich Village

14924473990_4281c0a123_z.jpg

Spiced duck confit, giant caper berries, cornichons, toast

15110753082_c4d5e9f63b_z.jpg

Cheese and honey

14924473360_440f5890bc_z.jpg

Croque madame sandwich

15088117256_9f4f61600c_z.jpg

Roast chicken, haricot verts, boiled potatoes, mustard vinaigrette -- reimagined as a salad

14924472730_a5f81ddfa7_z.jpg

Apple tarte tatin, crème fraîche

• Like 1

I had a very nice experience at Buvette several years ago. I went with my 90 yr old mother, who likes her French food. We went on the early side and sat at the bar. The bartender was incredibly solicitous and the food was right in my mom's wheelhouse. The martinis were huge, and we both got very tipsy, so it would be hard to tell you what we ate. I'm pretty sure it had rabbit in it. And I'm pretty sure we had some type of apple tarte tatin for dessert. Right away we noticed how uncomfortable every seat in the house is, but the friendliness and alcohol and lovely food made up for it. If I was looking for a long and leisurely meal I might go somewhere else where there were chair backs and a bit more padding. Having cocktail hour with food at the bar at 5pm was a good way to go.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Anne Napolitano

Chef On Call

"Great cooking doesn't come from breaking with tradition but taking it in new directions-evolution rather that revolution." Heston Blumenthal