• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Useful food gifts and kitchenware that you have received

Anna N

I was given a SEB minichop in the 80s and I still use it.  In view of my limited counter space, its one of the few gadgets I can keep right out in plain view.

"A fool", he said, "would have swallowed it". Samuel Johnson

A special sharp-edged spoon for digging around the stones in cling stone fruit. My parents mentioned my need for it one summer when they were visiting and I was fixing our family standard, fruit salad. I'd never heard of such an implement. Lo and behold, 'Santa' put one in my Christmas stocking that year. Mom and Dad were tickled pink to have found one; it had taken a lot of garage-sale haunting.

attachicon.gif1410233364756.jpg

Yes, it's very useful, but it's even better because of the memories.

I have some wax-carving tools that are very similar.  From when I used to carve hard wax for casting jewelry.  I also have some clay-carving tools, one of which I use in the kitchen for coring pears and small apples &etc.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

2 pounds of pine nuts given to me by my sister-in-law. Sadly, they are almost all gone. (I wonder if I should tell her that. My birthday is coming up.....)

Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

I was given a SEB minichop in the 80s and I still use it.  In view of my limited counter space, its one of the few gadgets I can keep right out in plain view.

You can still find these occasionally in thrift stores. Picked one up recently still in its box. So now I have my version of an heir and a spare!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have one.  I still use it for 'fresh' herbs, and carefully sharpen the 'blade'

I looked into this just now, and a 'replacement' blade on eBay goes for 35 bucks USD !

shame this didnt keep going and have a 'Big Sister' 50 % bigger etc.

I foolishly bought the Messermeister kitchen shears a couple years ago because, at the time, they were well-recommended. Now, however, there is a much, much better model available that's made my Kershaw (Shun).

Check Amazon for the Kershaw shears.

A mini oven is probably my most used kitchenware gift, even though you can't regulate the temp and the timer has a max. of 15 minutes. I guestimate it around 170 Celsius and it can fit a modest 2-portion ovendish, 2 mini pots, 1/2 of a pizza, 2 large potatoes or dito beets. We use it 2-3 times a week and for such a cheap thing, it amazes me it's still working quite well after +2 years.

Another favourite is a very large Dutch Oven like pan, which my mom gave me when I moved out.

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I was gifted with a package of organic Greek oregano.  Compared to the oregano I've been using these past years, this stuff is amazing.  The fragrance and taste is outstanding, and I can't wait to try it in some pasta sauce that I'll be making tonight or tomorrow.

In addition, I received some outstanding organic Turkish bay leaves, also superior in fragrance (and, I assume, taste) compared to what I've been buying locally.  I've purchased bay leaves from many sources over the years, but nothing has come close to the wonderful fragrance of these leaves.  Just leaving a few on the dining-area table has infused the apartment with a wonderful, outdoorsy smell.

Also included in the gift package was a bag of Szechuan peppers.  I'm not sure if these are the best and most flavorful that I've had, but the timing of their arrival is perfect as I've been experimenting with, and developing a recipe for, peanut-sesame sauce.

Lastly was a bag of Urfa Biber chile flakes.  I've not opened the package yet, so I cannot speak to their fragrance, flavor, or freshness, but if they compare well with the other spices and herbs, I'm going to be a happy camper and be motivated to experiment a little more in the kitchen.

• Like 1

... Shel

Is it possible you've been buying bay leaves from California?

While I sometimes use Bay Laurel leaves, I am comparing the leaves I received to the Mediterranean leaves I've purchased from various sources, including ethnic markets, commercially packaged from several sources and suppliers, bulk bins and jarred.

I don't buy California leaves.  I harvest them from nearby trees.

... Shel

image.jpg

A surprise gift yesterday. This is a stainless steel bowl for my compact Bosch mixer. The mixer comes with a plastic bowl which is adequate for most purposes but a stainless bowl will work better for other purposes. And having two bowls is almost as good as having two mixers when you are on a baking spree!

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 3 years later...

Sometimes you just HAVE to share news of your good fortune!  This past weekend @Kerry Beal cooked at the Dickson Eggfest. One of the goodies in her loot bag was this:

E57546CE-7168-46A1-94DB-7514B8B787A6.thumb.jpeg.ad2e73b4ae1079a1626f25a54965fc03.jpegA260AD34-0C7B-4D6B-85AF-661698EBE233.thumb.jpeg.7916b8af128f6751f0e0e3e7389a81e2.jpeg

And today she made a gift of it to me. I am still pinching myself. 😋

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 1

My 2004 eG Blog

15 hours ago, Anna N said:

Sometimes you just HAVE to share news of your good fortune!  This past weekend @Kerry Beal cooked at the Dickson Eggfest. One of the goodies in her loot bag was this:

E57546CE-7168-46A1-94DB-7514B8B787A6.thumb.jpeg.ad2e73b4ae1079a1626f25a54965fc03.jpegA260AD34-0C7B-4D6B-85AF-661698EBE233.thumb.jpeg.7916b8af128f6751f0e0e3e7389a81e2.jpeg

And today she made a gift of it to me. I am still pinching myself. 😋

sweet that looks so good!!

12 minutes ago, IowaDee said:

Wow, seeing  that I can't help but wonder what else was in that loot bag!  What a nice gift that was.

Just a nice cutting board.

• Like 1

That would suffice.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

• 4 years later...

Here's one of a set of one of the most wonderful food-related gifts I have ever been given.  A friend from Delaware brought these mesh food savers as a gift during one of the many Dog Weekends we put on in a former life.  So many women have asked me about them and could I get them a set...there are three of this size, two larger and one huge elongate oval one.  I asked my friend in Delaware but she said she never saw them again.  Alas....

This summer has been amazingly free of fruit flies and I haven't actually used them for the first time since I got them.  Then this week, Ed brought the apple remains from making apple cider in the cellar up into the kitchen and left them there for a short time which is all it took for 6,000,000 of the little you-know-what's to appear and now I had a fight on my hands.  Out came the mesh fruit covers.  (Wow!  Looking for the appropriate name to call them and found the Lee Valley website which carries them.  mesh fruit covers )

DSC04028.thumb.JPG.f87bfa6abab2fbeeb33edb31f2b7436e.JPG

Edited by Darienne (log)
  • Like 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

@Darienne 

a fine item .   I get FF's via bananas ( I think )     I use ' Fly Tape '  

a very sticky proposition .

Amazon ( USA ) has :

Outdoorwares Tent Pop Up Food Cover Set - Fine Mesh Screen, Bottomless & Collapsible Design With Handles (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

and various ' tents '

4Pack Mesh Food Covers 17inch, Outdoor Food Covers, Picnic Accessories, BBQ & Parties Food Tent, Fruit Cover (Net yarn white) (eG-friendly Amazon.com link)

or search Amazon for Foods Mesh Covers etc.

they are on  my list !

• Like 1