• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Seasonal Obsessive Disorder?

ElainaA

The 'allgoneophobia' thread made me think of this. I think this is my problem. Why else do I have to think up a use of every zucchini? Why did i just make 10 jars of peach/orange/ginger marmalade when no one else in my family but me likes it? Why did I make 10 kinds of pickles this month?  Right now my S.O.D focuses on preserving and freezing garden produce. By early December it will morph into candy making.  (Obviously S.O.D. has multiple subtypes, especially around Christmas: shopping, home decoration. Mine just happens to be cooking.) Oh NO! In 2 months it will be hunting season! How many recipes can I find for venison?
Does anyone else have this problem?
Elaina

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Nope, I don't have it but some of my friends do.  And the best part is that they are more than willing to share the results of their labors.  That peach. orange, ginger marmalade sounds very good too.   

• Like 3

I have already bought  50%  of the Christmas gift, planned Christmas dinner ( same thing every year but I set the schedule when everything needs to made) and  I have my weird  little bit OCD ways when it comes to holiday food.  Thank God it is only   Lucia and Christmas  to look forward too.

Have you tried making smoked venison sausages for sandwiches?

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Does pouring over the food ads in the spring when I am shopping for my Ren Faire feast kitchen count. Unlike my predecessor I look for the best value for the feast ingredients every week. Feeding 80 re-enactors on a limited budget is both challenging and FUN! So every Wednesday I am looking, looking, looking.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Yeah - think it's fair to say that I do have a titch of SOD - I'll make chocolate for days on end, then abandon that for sous viding everything that grows or walks, followed by cooking everything on the Big Green Egg.  It's probably more tool related than season related in my case.

When I get a new toy - everything gets made using it for a while - then I move on to something else.  Of course the cycle repeats itself.

As Anna N say's about me "when all you have is hammer, everything begins to look like a nail".

New toy coming up soon - I'll tell you all about it when it arrives.  

• Like 1

This is me to a T! Born and raised in Hawaii I never ate seasonally. Moving to Missouri over 20 years ago I've obsessively embraced the concept. To me it ties in with eating well, local, organically and from scratch. My husband hates it, I refuse to cook things like soup, chili, chicken and dumplings in the summer. I can't, it just doesn't seem right. I even have things I won't cook in winter that I will in fall.

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman

I had this problem for many years...I cherished the abundance of farming and I was obsessed with the bounty,

Luckily in later years i was able to let go and give much of the surplus away when I could find those in real need who would accept it. Not always an easy task in the age of convenience foods.

Unfortunately, the farm has been sold as of last December. I have health issues and I don't have the strength to fight the evil control-freak politics anymore..too bad.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Andi: that is how we always stored our roots at my parents home.  Rutabaga/ swede was the most common vegetable here in Sweden before potatoes. I love it,

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

DiggingDog - I don't know where you are in the Finger Lakes but both Ithaca and Cortland have Loaves and Fishes groups that serve free meals to anyone who shows up. They gladly accept fresh produce (not processed items, however). So do both food pantries in Cortland. I've taken them bags of squash and beans this year as in the past. Even my S.O.D. fueled urges have a limit.

Elaina

• Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

DiggingDog - I don't know where you are in the Finger Lakes but both Ithaca and Cortland have Loaves and Fishes groups that serve free meals to anyone who shows up. They gladly accept fresh produce (not processed items, however). So do both food pantries in Cortland. I've taken them bags of squash and beans this year as in the past. Even my S.O.D. fueled urges have a limit.

Elaina

Thanks. The farm was in north central Pennsylvania, so Ithaca and Cortland were a bit of a trip.

The Southern Tier Food Bank in Chemung County would/will accept any good surplus, but one of my interests was to develop a direct relationship with folks.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!