• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Immersion Blender Mayonnaise

Kim Shook

I made sherry vinegar mayonnaise yesterday to use in bleu cheese slaw.  I hate cleaning my blender after making mayonnaise. So I wondered if anyone made mayo with an immersion blender. I found some recipes online.  I gave it a try and I’m a complete convert. Everything goes into a jar at the same time. You hit the button and within SECONDS you have mayonnaise. You only have a couple of things to wash, and your mayonnaise is in a jar already!

med_gallery_3331_335_95076.jpg

med_gallery_3331_335_66986.jpg

Great texture and consistency.  Here's a link to the directions:  http://www.recipecircus.com/recipes/Kimberlyn/SAUCES/Immersion_Blender_Mayonnaise_.html

• Like 1

Yes.  Have used numerous manual and electric gadgets - immersion blenders included. 

I have several of the hand-powered "Mayonnaise mixers" that were marketed in the 1920s and 1930s.

Here is one I posted about 7 years ago.   Really handy when the power goes out right in the middle of the process.

Edited by andiesenji (log)
  • Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

And then there's milk "mayo" for those who can't tolerate eggs. Made some a couple of weeks ago and it is just as easy b

http://leitesculinaria.com/32983/writings-milk-mayonnaise.html

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It's been my preferred way of making mayo since I first saw it suggested by Wolfgang Puck many years ago.

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Ill be moving in this direction after my Stash of Hellman's is used up.  might be a while

BTW  I gave up lite olive oil a long time ago when I realized it had none of the health benefits of EVOO.

it took a while for me to discover this.  before the internet was born.

In one article/recipe I read, it was suggested that making mayo with an immersion blender results in a too thick, or stiff, mayonnaise.  For those who have made an immersion recipe, how do those characteristics compare with your favorite commercial mayo or homemade mayo made in the traditional way?  Is there a way to adjust stiffness or thickness?

... Shel

My preferred commercial brand is Duke and I would say that the immersion blender method is very similar in texture and thickness.  Before this, I've used a regular blender and this method seems to produce a slightly thicker mayo than in a regular blender.  

• Like 1

I learned this one on an Italian forum many years ago, makes a lot of mayo but never failed me (I failed with the serious eats instead-never on a hand made mayo) and the whole egg make it somewhat lighter

3 eggs, lemon juice, salt, pepper, your preferred oil, cold water. All the ingredients, beside the cold water, need to be at room temperature.

In the blending cup of the immersion blender put in this order: 1 whole egg, 2 yolks, juice filtered of half lemon, salt and all the oil.

Insert the blender and turn it on, leaving it at the bottom of the cup until the mayo stars forming, then lift slowly and bring it down a couple times until all the oil is incorporated. Adjust salt and acidity, add a tablespoon cold water to stabilize it and stir.

Ps: thanks Anna for the link to the milk mayo. Funny, I ate in the restaurant mentioned in Alentejio, didn't try that sauce.

Edit: forgot the oil 250 ml

Edited by Franci (log)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have always made (and seen my mother make) mayo with an inmersion blender.

For sure you can use EVOO for mayo, but not all EVOOs are born equal. It is true that strong EVOOs, like those from Picual olives, are too strong, but with a softer-taste EVOO, such as those from Arbequina olives, it works. My favorite mayo uses 50% refined sunflower oil and 50% arbequina EVOO.

If a single hen egg makes too much mayo for what you usually consume, an excellent idea is to use a quail egg, a small tall glass, and a milk frother as the inmersion blender, as is proposed here: http://www.umami-madrid.com/2009/12/23/un-truquito-para-hacer-mayonesa-para-una-sola-comida/