• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cookbooks 2015

ahpadt

Never too early to start right?

I discovered this today, as the first worthwhile book I know will be released in 2015;

Marco Pierre White - White Heat 25: 25th anniversary edition

Hopefully it will have some unseen material and not just a few comments about how great the original was, by todays chefs...

Chris Cosentino should also be releasing an offal cookbook during spring 2015.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Arzak Secrets
I've never seen the original Spanish version, so I don't know what to expect.

Atelier Crenn: Metamorphosis of Taste
This is a must buy for me.

Benares: Michelin Starred Cooking
I bought the Rasoi book years ago (the other British-Indian restaurant with a michelin star) and was disappointed. Hope this one will be better.

Jean-Francois Piege
I'm not a big fan of this modern French style, but Piege remains on the top so I'll probably end up buying it.

La Maison Maille
A book focused on a mustard an vinegar producer. Maybe I'll buy it just for curiosity.

Mexico from the Inside Out
The original Olvera books are quite expensive so I still haven't bought them. I'm glad he is publishing something in English and easier to buy, but I'm a bit skeptical since it's a Phaidon release, I hope it will be much better than the Atala one.

Obsession
New book by the Spanish master Oriol Balaguer. Must buy for me.

Perfection In Imperfection
I bought the original, self released first press for a much higher price. This new release is much cheaper, if you are interested in modernist plated desserts then this book delivers.

Peru: The Cookbook
Acurio + Phaidon about Peruvian home cooking, I think I'll pass.

Tacos: Recipes and Provocations
I guess I'll have to wait for the WD50 book if I want some Stupak desserts, but this should be fine enough.

The NoMad Cookbook
Being the "little brother" of EMP this should be an interesting release. It includes a second book with their cocktails.

The Nordic Cookbook
As far as I understand this new book by Faviken's Nilsson is about Scandinavian traditions, not about the New Nordic Cuisine movement. 960 pages for $50 seems a nice deal.

Teo

Teo

• 4 months later...

Food52 posted these 10 fall releases to look for. Any thoughts?  http://food52.com/blog/13911-the-10-best-new-fall-cookbooks-worth-making-shelf-space-for

My limited space is awaiting the 2016 Istanbul and Beyond from Eating Asia's writer...   http://eatingasia.typepad.com/eatingasia/2014/01/on-pursuing-an-obsession-or-what-i-learned-from-selling-a-book.html

Edited by heidih (log)

Food52 posted these 10 fall releases to look for. Any thoughts?  http://food52.com/blog/13911-the-10-best-new-fall-cookbooks-worth-making-shelf-space-for

My limited space is awaiting the 2016 Istanbul and Beyond from Eating Asia's writer...   http://eatingasia.typepad.com/eatingasia/2014/01/on-pursuing-an-obsession-or-what-i-learned-from-selling-a-book.html

The food lab book is on pre-order (e-book) and I am quite interested in the Lucky Peach one. Thanks for the link.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

The Senegal book caught my eye in another review, and with this additional recommendation I may have to go for it. My best friend's oldest son is starting his 3rd year there (Peace Corp), and I've been hearing enough about the place to be interested in knowing more about the food.

I also like the writeup for Essential Turkish Cuisine: "Mastering the Art of French Cooking meets Jerusalem - in Turkey." :-D

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

My limited space is awaiting the 2016 Istanbul and Beyond from Eating Asia's writer...   http://eatingasia.typepad.com/eatingasia/2014/01/on-pursuing-an-obsession-or-what-i-learned-from-selling-a-book.html

Me too. I've been following Robyn's blog for a long time and, combined with Dave's photographs, I'm sure it will be a stunner.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Heartbroken to report that The Nomad book does NOT include a recipe for their Chicken Burger with foie gras and truffle mayo, which is beyond a doubt the best sandwich I've ever eaten in my life.

Maybe try twitter? They might pass it along.

I just bought this book. Comes tomorrow. Looks like a great mix of high end dishes that are still actually able to be sourced and cooked.

Any other opinions on it?

• 1 month later...

I've been sick so I'm making my way through my 2 and a half foot talk stack of unread new books. This morning I read Gjelina and I can not recommend it highly enough. It is perfect for the eG crew. Really, go get it...and do it through the eG Amazon link so a bit of change comes back for maintenance: Gjelina

Edited by Smithy
Added Amazon-friendly link (log)

I've been sick so I'm making my way through my 2 and a half foot talk stack of unread new books. This morning I read Gjelina and I can not recommend it highly enough. It is perfect for the eG crew. Really, go get it...and do it through the eG Amazon link so a bit of change comes back for maintenance: Gjelina

Rob, how well will this book work for those of us who don't live in or near California? My small town is not blessed with an abundance of greengrocers, fancy meat stores, ethnic markets, or anything else super-special. Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't have a "peek inside" option for Gjelina.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Rob, how well will this book work for those of us who don't live in or near California? My small town is not blessed with an abundance of greengrocers, fancy meat stores, ethnic markets, or anything else super-special. Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't have a "peek inside" option for Gjelina.

Melissa,

Click on the "kindle" format to get the look inside feature. Had a quick look but suspect it is not for me although if it showed up in a charity shop I would probably grab it as it looks interesting. I just doubt that I would cook from it.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

My goodness, how times have changed.  I grew up in the area, graduated Venice High.  The only place I remember eating was a stand called called The Saucy Dog.  That was a hot dog in a sort of a tortilla cone with a mild salsa poured on it.  Of course some did "harvest" things, but not the type of stuff you would make a salad from. My Venice is light years from the current one.  For sure I'm an old hippie!

Wonder if Muscle Beach now refers to shellfish not guys with over developed bods?

Why's that Anna?

How does one explain how one cookbook reaches out to me and another doesn't? I buy and read far too many cookbooks but the ones that hurry me into the kitchen are generally Asian or Asian influenced. This book seems to have a Mediterranean bent and I am just not as drawn to that area of the world.

My 2004 eG Blog

Interesting. (and no, I wasn't looking for the philosophical explanation) I found it much more fresh Californian, maybe a bit Italian so in that sense I could see it being considered Mediterranean. But I wouldln't lump it into any one category...just kinda New American.