• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Savory Baking Topic

Anna N

Here's some muffins with bacon, aged cheddar, a generous amount of cayenne, freshly ground Kampot pepper and  snipped garlic chives. Yes, one is missing, strictly for quality control purposes.

IMG_3019.JPG

• Like 10

Sure @Wayne. 2 rashers of bacon diced and fried til crispy, then cooled.

Mix 2.5 cups of self raising flour, 1 cup grated cheddar, 1 tsp cayenne, grind of black pepper, grind of salt, 2 tbs of snipped garlic chives, and the bacon. Add 3 beaten eggs, 1 cup of milk, and 50 g of melted butter.

Bake in a 180 C oven for about 30 minutes.

Note these are Australian standard measurements, a cup is 250 ml, Tbs is 20 ml.

• Like 2

@sartoric

Thanks. I'll be trying these in the near future.

Re. note: Canada adopted the metric system in 1970 but in a half-assed manner so 46 years later we have a mishmash of metric and imperial systems.

• Like 2

I know it's stew. What KIND of stew?

• 2 weeks later...

I figure this fits  here....you make chex mix by baking it :)

Sriracha maple snack mix.  Going to make another batch today and increase both the sriracha and maple.  This stuff is good.....

photo 4.JPG

• Like 5

I was just offered a supply of fresh ground cornmeal today.  It was ground on a farm down by Webbers Falls.  My New Years Eve menu has just completed itself.  Fresh cornbread, black eyed peas, greens and some Unka Dukes hot sauce.  With chopped fresh white onions for the garnish.  Those peas will be cooked with a ham hock of course.  I have never experienced fresh ground cornmeal.  My expectations are hugh.  

• Like 3

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

On 12/22/2016 at 9:08 AM, Shelby said:

I figure this fits  here....you make chex mix by baking it :)

Sriracha maple snack mix.  Going to make another batch today and increase both the sriracha and maple.  This stuff is good.....

Oooh...sriracha maple! Sounds excellent! I make Chex mix every year, but it's usually the standard butter/Worcestershire/hot sauce/spices version.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 1 month later...

image.jpeg.357c760f70f507d9de98f31d488c8c08.jpeg

Not particularly attractive but boy did they smell good when they were cooking and they are quite tasty. These are sun-dried tomato and Parmesan muffins. I usually make my number two son a loaf of bread to take home with him on Thursdays but I thought these might make a nice change.  

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I don't make the Chex Mix anymore simply because I can't keep my hands off it.

What I do instead is purchase a small bag of Chex Cheddar Mix, add a can of Spanish peanuts (the mix must have nuts) and put it in an airtight container.  At least I don't have three gigantic boxes of cereal to store.

Edited by lindag (log)

• 1 month later...

image.thumb.jpeg.02dc27c4ee9597ac7a3eb25a340235fa.jpeg

From a Thomasina Miers recipe.  If I were to make them again I would skip the sugar altogether and increase the cayenne and perhaps even add some black pepper.  The recipe begins as one for cornbread but then offers this alternative which adds cheddar and feta to the base recipe.  I might also replace the green onions with some chopped jalapeño.   Would not be her recipe anymore but once I've made it, it becomes mine and I can please myself xD. I opted not to use paper muffin cups but that turned out to be a bad idea as they stuck quite badly.

• Like 6

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...
27 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Mini "Pizzas" with caramelized onion,  feta, tomato & olives on a brioche crust from Ottolenghi

What did you think of these? Would you make them again? Did you have any success reheating them and if so how? 

So many questions because I did look at that recipe and I could not get my head around brioche as a pizza crust.  Perhaps I might've felt less prejudicial had he found a name other than pizza for them.:)

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

31 minutes ago, Anna N said:

What did you think of these? Would you make them again? Did you have any success reheating them and if so how? 

So many questions because I did look at that recipe and I could not get my head around brioche as a pizza crust.  Perhaps I might've felt less prejudicial had he found a name other than pizza for them.:)

At first bite, they are certainly unexpected. Odd, even. The dough is slightly sweet and they are really light as a feather, quite a contrast with the sturdy, salty toppings.   I plan to freeze the rest of them and hope they will reheat successfully in the CSO.  I'll report back after I do that.  

I had one with a salad for lunch and enjoyed it but I don't think I will make them again unless I get a notion to try some other toppings (breakfast sausage, maybe?, I dunno)

The next chapter of the book has a recipe for a brioche galette with mascarpone cream and fruit and I intended to use half the dough to make some individual serving-sized versions of that but I ran out of crème fraîche so I bailed on that part of the experiment.

I should also note that I rolled the dough a good bit thinner than the 1 inch (2 cm) specified in the recipe.  At that thickness, I would only have been able to cut ~ 3 of the 4 inch disks and I figured they'd bake up as little domes  that would be awkward to freeze and store. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

IMG_1261.thumb.JPG.3935daaee670a4c7e68fcc99d42f5db2.JPG

I am determined to bend puff pastry to my will! These are turnovers filled with bacon, apple, onion and cheese.  The recipe can be found on The Kitchn. My daughter is entertaining this weekend so they are going to her house and will be reheated as required. I know they won't be quite as good as fresh out of the oven but they should still hold up fairly well. 

• Like 11

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 months later...

After the cheese biscuit chatter prompted by @HungryChris's post in the Dinner thread that included some Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits, I made Stella Park's Buttermilk Drop Biscuits With Garlic and Cheddar

5a08b17ff1a26_IMG_6349(1).thumb.jpg.5a76579998031c10e6e940de08dc2e20.jpg

I'm not sure how they compare to the name-brand version but they are quite nice.  The only adjustment I will make is to dial back the garlic powder (or maybe buy a different brand) as I'm getting a taste of garlic powder, not just garlic. 

Apparently one can mix together everything except the buttermilk and store it the fridge for some time so I saved half of the dry mix and set it aside for another day and baked a half batch for today.

Probably a good thing not to have too many of these guys on hand at one time anyway - I ate so many, I had to quickly make some tomato soup so I could call it lunch! :o

I made them smaller than Stella's but they still add up if you eat enough!

• Like 7

1 hour ago, blue_dolphin said:

After the cheese biscuit chatter prompted by @HungryChris's post in the Dinner thread that included some Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuits, I made Stella Park's Buttermilk Drop Biscuits With Garlic and Cheddar

5a08b17ff1a26_IMG_6349(1).thumb.jpg.5a76579998031c10e6e940de08dc2e20.jpg

I'm not sure how they compare to the name-brand version but they are quite nice.  The only adjustment I will make is to dial back the garlic powder (or maybe buy a different brand) as I'm getting a taste of garlic powder, not just garlic. 

Apparently one can mix together everything except the buttermilk and store it the fridge for some time so I saved half of the dry mix and set it aside for another day and baked a half batch for today.

Probably a good thing not to have too many of these guys on hand at one time anyway - I ate so many, I had to quickly make some tomato soup so I could call it lunch! :o

I made them smaller than Stella's but they still add up if you eat enough!

I made these as well and really disliked both the onion and the garlic powder.  I made a note to  omit them next time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I made these as well and really disliked both the onion and the garlic powder.  I made a note to  omit them next time.

That's probably a good idea.  The onion didn't seem to bother me but the garlic was too, too much.  With a nice sharp cheddar, those extra flavors likely aren't necessary.

• 3 weeks later...

I made a batch of the Cheedar Bay Biscuits last week and, while they were good, I decided to try a different recipe.  I went with KAF's Savory Cheddar Biscuits (half the recipe).  I made only one change and that was to add minced chives.

Recipe here.

They cooling now but I have high hopes.

C60645D5-E15C-4F88-8F92-7D5E4B9AD571.jpeg

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

BBEB983E-370D-4486-B86C-28EC586A595A.thumb.jpeg.60f3aed52e34d2cfad4ebd590333136c.jpeg

Apparently I was not channeling my inner Thomas Keller when I made these as evidenced by their varying sizes and inclinations to come undone.  But they will still be very much appreciated by my number two (bachelor) son.  Had I made a better job of this I would’ve given credit to the eGullet member who made the puff pastry.  Tomorrow I shall try again. 

• Like 9

My 2004 eG Blog

3 minutes ago, Anna N said:

BBEB983E-370D-4486-B86C-28EC586A595A.thumb.jpeg.60f3aed52e34d2cfad4ebd590333136c.jpeg

Apparently I was not channeling my inner Thomas Keller when I made these as evidenced by their varying sizes and inclinations to come undone.  But they will still be very much appreciated by my number two (bachelor) son.  Had I made a better job of this I would’ve given credit to the eGullet member who made the puff pastry.  Tomorrow I shall try again. 

I think they look absolutely delicious and I want one!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Okanagancook said:

The rolls still look good.  They ARE sausage rolls after all.

Thank you. I have every excuse in the world as to what went wrong but the bottom line is I was not paying the attention they deserved (to meet my own sense of pride). 

• Sad 1

My 2004 eG Blog

22C40316-006D-4E7E-B0D7-58E98983A48A.thumb.jpeg.9fe215ef58879763dac543700a0b9308.jpeg

Much better. The pastry was made (especially for me)  by@Alleguede who owns the fabulous French pastry shop, Goûter.  

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Geee Wizzz

maybe the GTA has more depth and outstanding talent  than the BOS area

Yikes !

oc course

it been some time since I Cruised the Cambridge area for Stuff Like That

Any snow your area ?

smiley-ptdr.gif.29eea8dada7c090436315caf4602f98d.gif