• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Savory Baking Topic

Anna N

An advance Heads Up to everyone....

March 14 (3.14) is Pi Day.  

Two years ago at my former home in Arizona, we hosted a Pi Day Party and invited friends to bring Pi's, savory or  sweet.  It was a fun foodie event.  I was a bit worried that the 'sweet' Pi's would far outnumber the savory Pi's, but it all worked out.  

The savory Pi's that showed up included: 

Beef and Guinness

Tamale

Quiches

Mini Pizza Pi's

Caramelized Onion and Apple Tart

Greek Chicken/Feta/Spinach 

• Like 2

image.jpg

Red onion, brie, and blue cheese tart inspired by Nigel Slater.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh my goodness, Anna, that looks so good! Is that on PC puff pastry? (If it is, I just happen to have some in the freezer.)

Yes it is. I need to replenish my supply. It occurred to me today that sausage rolls would make an ideal freezer standby for both me and for my adult son. A couple of sausage rolls and a side salad makes a fast satisfying meal.

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, now you have truly gone and done it. My MIL gave me a recipe for sausage rolls many years ago and while I made them once when she gave me the recipe, it (the recipe) got filed away and I had forgotten about it until now. I am off to get some sausage meat and will made these for supper.

image.jpg

Sausage rolls made with commercial puff pastry. I made a second batch of bite-size ones and added a thin line of spicy deli mustard to the pastry before adding the sausage meat.

• Like 4

My 2004 eG Blog

That looks tasty, ElsieD. Please tell more about it?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

That looks tasty, ElsieD. Please tell more about it?

It is a specialty of the Alsace region of France, also called Tarte Flambee plus other variations on the spelling of Flammekuchen. It can be made using a pizza dough, a non-yeast dough or puff pastry. I treid them all and prefer pizza dough. It is very simple to make. You cook bacon lardons until most of the fat is cooked out of it then in a bit of the bacon fat you cook some onions. When the onions have cooled, they are mixed with Creme fraiche, salt, pepper and a bit of nutmeg. That mixture is spread on the dough and topped with the bacon. I baked it for 8 minutes at 550F. It doesn't sound like much but it's delicious.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

For those who are not huge fans of cornbread (and I happen to be one of them) here is onion pan bread. Inspired by Mark Bittman (Google for a recipe). I added some sharp cheddar and some thyme to the batter. Would make a fine accompaniment to soup or bowl of chili. I see a future in which crispy bacon bits are added to the batter or perhaps some pickled jalapenos or perhaps…

• Like 7

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh Elsie D, I need to do  Flammkuchen again.  That is so yummy  but I have always gotten and made it with quark and not cream fraiche.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Oh Elsie D, I need to do  Flammkuchen again.  That is so yummy  but I have always gotten and made it with quark and not cream fraiche.

Yes, Flammekuchen is good stuff. I have never made it with anything other than creme fraiche. Maybe I should try to. Speaking of which, I have some in my refrigerator and I think I'll make it for dinner tonight. Thanks for the reminder!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

For those who are not huge fans of cornbread (and I happen to be one of them) here is onion pan bread. Inspired by Mark Bittman (Google for a recipe). I added some sharp cheddar and some thyme to the batter. Would make a fine accompaniment to soup or bowl of chili. I see a future in which crispy bacon bits are added to the batter or perhaps some pickled jalapenos or perhaps…

I should have mentioned that I was reminded of this bread by a post in the dinner topic posted by Thanks for the Crepes.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 weeks later...

image.jpg

Brazilian Cheese Puffs or Pão de Queijo

If I could I would name this a "genius recipe". It can't get any easier than throwing all the ingredients into a blender, pouring the contents into a mini muffin pan and baking. They are gougere-like even if not quite so light. I used 2 ounces of old cheddar and 2 ounces of Parmesan. Here is a link to the recipe

click

You will need tapioca flour.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I love savoury filled buns!   :wub: 

Ham & cheese croissants, spinach feta brioche, those Chinese buns filled with all sorts of stuff - curry beef, bbq pork, yummmm!  This morning for breakfast I had a Chinese bun with green onions & pork floss, and I've got a pack of steamed pork buns in the fridge too.  

My grandmother used to make lovely steamed pork buns.  I remember once when I was really little she left the formed buns to proof, and for whatever reason the yeast was super-active that day.  Grandma got a bit of a shock when she went to check on them, and the ginormous buns were practically overflowing out of the pan!  Delicious all the same.

The most unusual filled bun I've ever had was vegemite & cheese from a neighbourhood bakery - surprisingly tasty.

I will also never turn down an almond croissant!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Practicing up some recipes for the Big Green Egg eggfest this weekend - 

Brazilian Cheese Puffs (Pão de Queijo) - same recipe as Anna's post above from February

IMG_0997.jpg

First batch made just after making the batter.

IMG_0998.jpg

Next batch made a day later with batter that had been in the fridge for 24 hours. 

They don't seem to have suffered any from their rest in the fridge - so means I can mix up the batch the night before.

• Like 3

• 9 months later...

image.jpeg

For my son-in-law.  Cheese, jalapeño, and chipotle quick bread.   It packs a punch.   And I wonder when I will learn to wear gloves when dealing with hot peppers!  

• Like 12

My 2004 eG Blog

• 6 months later...
On ‎2016‎-‎05‎-‎14 at 11:00 AM, Anna N said:

For my son-in-law.  Cheese, jalapeño, and chipotle quick bread.   It packs a punch.   And I wonder when I will learn to wear gloves when dealing with hot peppers!  

My favorite quick bread by far is banana bread. This sounds like it could be a strong contender for filling the savory equivalent position. Any chance the recipe can be shared?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

1 hour ago, Tri2Cook said:

My favorite quick bread by far is banana bread. This sounds like it could be a strong contender for filling the savory equivalent position. Any chance the recipe can be shared?

I have searched and searched and searched and cannot come up with where I put the recipe.  Hate myself when I lose a recipe.

Edited to add:

Never give up!

Here it is!   I made the jalapeño variation using chipotle chilli powder. (Now I will be able to sleep tonight.)

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog