• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Savory Baking Topic

Anna N

56 minutes ago, blue_dolphin said:

Wow!  Bespoke puff pastry - I'm ever so impressed!

I am incredibly spoiled in so many ways. 

• Like 6

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, kayb said:

And the problem with that is....??

xD

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

I'd never made sausage rolls but decided to try the recipe that @Anna N mentioned in response to a sausage roll question.

IMG_6605.thumb.jpg.40f5c337c584f1700547f46ec037ae2b.jpg

I used the sweet Italian sausage called for in the recipe but seems like a very adaptable recipe.  Baked off a few in the CSO and have the rest stashed in the freezer. 

Oh, and my puff pastry was NOT made especially for me - Trader Joe's sells this stuff to anyone xD.

It's actually a nice all-butter product and I should pick up a few boxes while it's still in stock. 

• Like 8
  • Delicious 3
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Baked off a few in the CSO and have the rest stashed in the freezer.

What temperature/function did you use? 

I also have sausage roll envy as even the ones I had put aside for myself I caved and gave away.   :o

My 2004 eG Blog

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

What temperature/function did you use? 

I also have sausage roll envy as even the ones I had put aside for myself I caved and gave away.   :o

Good for you!  I'm afraid I will hear them calling to me from inside the freezer!

These got convect bake @ 400F for the first 10 min then, after rotating the tray, I bumped it up to the recommended 425F for another 10 min.  I'm thinking about using steam-bake for the next round as they'll be coming direct from the freezer.  Will report back when I do.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

At this time my favourite supermarkets all seem to be out of stock or have perhaps stopped carrying my favourite brand and flavour of Jamaican patties.  With my new- found confidence in making pastry I thought I would attempt to make my own. I used this recipe  adjusting it as needed since I didn’t have the appropriate peppers.

EF8DC248-EE0A-4A65-ADAA-8336EAE4588E.thumb.jpeg.856fde3388471cac98ac7398ef1812d3.jpeg

7966CC89-870F-48AA-B4D9-D8E0C86CBEEF.thumb.jpeg.ca9115a2130499833791c946212cd878.jpeg

Not quite there but getting close. Still a very tasty snack that I can freeze and reheat for a quick meal.  And I know exactly what is in it. 

• Like 16
  • Delicious 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, those really look good! It appears a bit of the British heritage is showing through - shortly we will be seeing you produce some steak and kidney pies or even my favourite chicken mushroom pies! For those that are unaware, in most ex British colonial countries, what Anna calls a "pattie" is normally called a "pie" or "pasty" - well, to my knowledge anyway! They are very common in southern Africa with shops just dedicated to the different types.

• Like 2

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Well it’s not a matter of being an ex-pat  — click  that is what they are called when I buy them.

This is my preferred brand. The pastry is flakier (so flaky they are impossible to eat without making a big mess!) and softer than what I was able to produce and the filling is much more of a paste. 

My 2004 eG Blog

• 4 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, ninagluck said:

I baked today an old, traditional savory treat. the making is similar to a brioche, but instead of butter you use minced pork crackling. Wonderful with a glass of wine

IMG_1383.JPG

IMG_1385.JPG

IMG_1389.JPG

Wow, that looks intriguing... could you point me towards the name for this or perhaps a recipe ?

• Like 1

@Duvel, the dough: 1 kg all purpose flour, 4 eggs, 20g salt, 10g sugar, 100 g lard, 400 g milk, 20g fresh yeast. warm the milk and dissolve the yeast. mix the rest together and let it rise until doubled. 

spread: 500g pork cracklings, s+p, grind or mince the cracklings with salt and pepper.

roll out the dough, spread the crackling on top and fold as for brioche. let it rest in the fridge, roll and fold 3 times. cut in rectangles, brush with eggwash, sprinkle with salt and bake at 180°C for abt 30 min. 

Around here they are called "Pogaca"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ninagluck said:

@Duvel, the dough: 1 kg all purpose flour, 4 eggs, 20g salt, 10g sugar, 100 g lard, 400 g milk, 20g fresh yeast. warm the milk and dissolve the yeast. mix the rest together and let it rise until doubled. 

spread: 500g pork cracklings, s+p, grind or mince the cracklings with salt and pepper.

roll out the dough, spread the crackling on top and fold as for brioche. let it rest in the fridge, roll and fold 3 times. cut in rectangles, brush with eggwash, sprinkle with salt and bake at 180°C for abt 30 min. 

I think I could make these with chicharrones, fried pork skin. It's ubiquitous around here, though the smell of them cooking makes me gag.

Nancy in Pátzcuaro

• Like 1

Formerly "Nancy in CO"

This is the Sausage & Apple Pie from Kate McDermott's Art of the Pie. Recipe available online at this link.

IMG_7232.thumb.jpg.7cab29460aa8913067868ee1c1ab621d.jpg

What's not to like - a flaky and delicious cheddar cheese crust,  pleasantly spicy sausage (I used the Maple-Sage Breakfast Sausage from The Food Lab) and the herbs and cider cooked into the filling are just perfect with the sweet-tart apples.

I made extra filling and turned them into a few little hand pies:

IMG_7236.thumb.jpg.b5713b6030746846fd022d4d594d32e6.jpg

Edited by blue_dolphin
to add link (log)
  • Like 12
  • Delicious 1

On ‎26‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 7:05 AM, ninagluck said:

Thanks, that'll go on my "weekend" list :D

Grilled garlic naan ...

Just flour, baking powder, salt and full-fat yoghurt.

WP_20180303_18_41_54_Pro.thumb.jpg.e4919b750f4af2c5cc1c3c48bcbc1615.jpg

Kneaded, rolled out, stretched by hand and thrown on a hot grill - literally took 5 minutes. Maybe 1-2 min per side, then brushed with melted butter containing salt and microplaned garlic. Sprinkled with cilantro. Heaven !

WP_20180303_19_29_47_Rich.thumb.jpg.b7c88eb074588562688d4dfe439cb55e.jpg

• Like 7

49 minutes ago, Duvel said:

Grilled garlic naan ...

Just flour, baking powder, salt and full-fat yoghurt.

No!  You cannot just dump this on us.  Naan made without yeast that is worth eating?  Don’t make me resort to threats. How?:D

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

My 2004 eG Blog

The funny thing is that is completely against anything I know about tasty bread - no long fermentation time, very limited kneading, no stretch-n-folds to give structure ...

But it works. The yoghurts imparts a certain tartness, helps to form gluten and I believe that the uneven distribution of the baking powder creates airpockets that resemble those of a retarded dough. And of charring from course high heat of a gas grill plus fat/salt/garlic at the end compensate for shortcomings of the dough tona certain extend ^_^

This one will go into my regular rotation ...

1 hour ago, Duvel said:

This one will go into my regular rotation ..

But wait! This is just a tease! You can’t do this.  >:(  Did I mention that my favourite curse, — may the bird of paradise poop in your porridge—can reach all the way to Hong Kong?

• Haha 5

My 2004 eG Blog