• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

2 hours ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

This requires a level of participation I've been backing away from but, damn!, you present an incredibly tempting project.     Beautifully done.

Question, what is the keeping quality of these pizza rolls?     Bake and eat, i am guessing.    

Thanks!  I ate one of these last night and froze the rest.  After seeing your query, I re-heated one in the CSO (edited to add, steam bake, 300°F, 7 minutes) and it was quite good.  I'm not sure I nailed the timing as it was a tiny bit cool smack-dab in the center but I can work it out. They're chewy, as one would expect from a pizza dough but the bottom and top re-crisped as nicely as they were when freshly baked.

I made these as written in the main recipe and they are fairly large.  Meal-sized, almost.  I considered freezing some before baking, like the thaw, proof and bake croissants at TJ's but at this size, that requires more advance planning than is my nature. 

Next time, I'll make the mini versions and may play around more with that option, though I think having something already baked (or at least par-baked)  that can be easily re-heated is more what I'd like.

58 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I just read some of the reviews on the Vetri book.  Does it really ask for yeast to be measured in 1/132 and 1/128 teaspoons as some reviewers stated?

Yes, I believe he may do this in a recipe or two.  So far, the smallest amount I've seen is in a recipe for a single pizza that calls for .03g  if you choose active dry yeast instead of fresh. That's the 1/128 teaspoon that you mention. I haven't made this one but I've read that people just use a pinch and get good results. I'd just use my drug scale 🙃. Ken Forkish also calls for similarly small amounts of yeast  in Elements of Pizza in a few recipes.  Both provide weights so it's easy to weigh the amount if you have a scale that's suitable (and I do).  Forkish also gives an easy work-around.  1/4 t yeast weighs ~ 1g so he suggests dumping it out on the counter and using a bench scraper or similar to shape it into a line (wherever did he get that idea?) and mark the line off into tenths or whatever is needed.  

I think I've made 5 or 6 different dough recipes so far and all used amounts of yeast I could dole out with measuring spoons though did I eye-ball half of a 1/8 teaspoon measure when I made half a recipe for one of the doughs.

blue_dolphin

blue_dolphin

1 hour ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

This requires a level of participation I've been backing away from but, damn!, you present an incredibly tempting project.     Beautifully done.

Question, what is the keeping quality of these pizza rolls?     Bake and eat, i am guessing.    

Thanks!  I ate one of these last night and froze the rest.  After seeing your query, I re-heated one in the CSO and it was quite good.  I'm not sure I nailed the timing as it was a tiny bit cool smack-dab in the center but I can work it out. They're chewy, as one would expect from a pizza dough but the bottom and top re-crisped as nicely as they were when freshly baked.

I made these as written in the main recipe and they are fairly large.  Meal-sized, almost.  I considered freezing some before baking, like the thaw, proof and bake croissants at TJ's but at this size, that requires more advance planning than is my nature. 

Next time, I'll make the mini versions and may play around more with that option, though I think having something already baked (or at least par-baked)  that can be easily re-heated is more what I'd like.

20 minutes ago, ElsieD said:

I just read some of the reviews on the Vetri book.  Does it really ask for yeast to be measured in 1/132 and 1/128 teaspoons as some reviewers stated?

Yes, I believe he may do this in a recipe or two.  So far, the smallest amount I've seen is in a recipe for a single pizza that calls for .03g  if you choose active dry yeast instead of fresh. That's the 1/128 teaspoon that you mention. I haven't made this one but I've read that people just use a pinch and get good results. I'd just use my drug scale 🙃. Ken Forkish also calls for similarly small amounts of yeast  in Elements of Pizza in a few recipes.  Both provide weights so it's easy to weigh the amount if you have a scale that's suitable (and I do).  Forkish also gives an easy work-around.  1/4 t yeast weighs ~ 1g so he suggests dumping it out on the counter and using a bench scraper or similar to shape it into a line (wherever did he get that idea?) and mark the line off into tenths or whatever is needed.  

I think I've made 5 or 6 different dough recipes so far and all used amounts of yeast I could dole out with measuring spoons though did I eye-ball half of a 1/8 teaspoon measure when I made half a recipe for one of the doughs.