• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Low-Carb Dinners

Sophie Cook

I'm having some friends over for dinner next week - one is on a strict no carb diet for a month. I wanted to make something that everyone can enjoy that's low in carb.

Does anyone have any good/impressive meal ideas that may be appropriate? Apart from the usual fish/meat & veg.

Thanks!

Sophie

email: sophie@cookscook.co.uk

twitter: cookscookuk instagram: cookscookuk

Well, fish/meat and veg can be pretty spectacular.  If you want something other than that, what about a souffle or a crustless quiche?

Does the "strict no carb" mean no dietary fiber either?  In that case vegetables are out as well as fruit.  

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

How about some steamed seafood, like steamed shrimp/prawns or whole fish?

Like this, or this (scroll down), or this, or this, or this, or this, or this or other similar ones? :-) 

Or something like this, or this?

p.s. one omits the rice, of course, that is also included in those posts.

ETA:  You asked for "impressive" dishes - OK, how about a low-carb high-protein dish fit for an Emperor, like this?

Edited by huiray (log)

As said above, meat or fish and salad is a good safe choice.

Basically, any meat or fish has zero carbs....some seafood has a few.

Most cheeses are relatively low in carbohydrate, especially hard cheeses.

Most non-starchy veggies are relatively low in carbohydrate, especially if you subtract the fiber carbs which are indigestible.

Fruits (or fruit like foods) that are relatively low in carbohydrate....rhubarb...blackberries...cranberries...raspberries.

He's a site with some good lists....

http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/low-carb-food-list.html

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Some of Karen Barnaby's low-carb ideas are good.....

http://www.lowcarb.ca/low-carb-recipes.html

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Sophie - did they indicate if t hey are fine with fats as many of the low/no carb recipes online are liberal in that area?

ETA:  This site has some interesting ideas  http://www.kalynskitchen.com/

Thanks Heidi, yes as far as i am aware it's ok to have fat :)

Have lots of good ideas now thanks to all above.

email: sophie@cookscook.co.uk

twitter: cookscookuk instagram: cookscookuk

Two alternatives I use are soba noodles and sweet potato of every kind 

You could fit them in to any menu.

Martial.2,500 Years ago:

If pale beans bubble for you in a red earthenware pot, you can often decline the dinners of sumptuous hosts.