• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reheating Smoked Brisket

Kim Shook

Mr. Kim is smoking a brisket today to serve tomorrow.  Information regarding reheating it is all over the place on his favorite smoking sites.  Most recommend slicing and then reheating the slices in some manner.  A few recommend placing the whole brisket, wrapped in foil on a rack in a baking pan with water in the bottom, covering the whole thing with foil and heating at anywhere from 250F to 300F until heated (2 hours) through and then slicing at service.  This method reminds me of how places hold pastrami and corned beef and when they slice it, it always looks so moist.  I told him I’d check with MY experts.  What do you think?  Thanks!!!

Thing about reheating it that way is that it will continue cooking it which could make it tougher.  If you don't have a sous vide thing than just hot tap water in a pot will warm the a ziploc bag of slices fine. It is how I have done it many times....about 135F

I have whole pastramis shipped to me from Katz's in New York from time to time.  They tell you to gently steam it for about an hour to an hour and 15 minutes to reheat depending on size. I have done this several times and it came out great.  I think as long as you keep the time reasonable it shouldn't cook any more as you won't bring the internal temperature any higher than it was when it finished cooking.

I know this will be objectionable to many. But that's what I do often. Microwave!

In a covered microwave safe container, I put the meat in for 20 seconds to 30 seconds, depending on the size of meat and power of the microwave oven.

Then I turn the container upside down and give it another 20 seconds. I repeat this a few times until the meat is hot enough to my liking.

The meat will come out moist, evenly hot, and very quick.

dcarch

• Like 1

Reheat in the microwave or the oven or even a pan on the stove, but definitely slice first and the key is to save as much jus as you can from the first day and reheat the slices in that.  If there's isn't much jus (or none), use (or supplement) with some low sodium beef broth.

Mark

My eG Food Blog

www.markiscooking.com

My NEW Ribs site: BlasphemyRibs.com

My NEWER laser stuff site: Lightmade Designs

Thank you all!  Mr. Kim decided to go with sliced and heated in plastic bags in a water bath - with a little beef broth added since the briskets didn't yield much jus.  We'll use the microwave for leftovers.  The meal is tonight, so pictures tomorrow in the dinner thread.  He asked me to tell you how much he appreciates the advice.

• Like 1

Weinoo and rotuts – Mr. Kim went and looked online at the Cusi-Steam and liked the idea very much.  We have a very large toaster/convection oven on our counter that could be gotten rid of to make room for it.  I think he’s putting it on his wish list.  Thanks for the recommendation.  

We did exactly what I said that we were going to do - a sort of sous-vide hack.  We put it through the Suck Machine (that’s what the Shooks call the Food Saver) in smallish portions and refrigerated.  About 45 minutes before eating, we put the bags in roasting pans and covered with 135F degree water and covered the pans with foil. 

med_gallery_3331_335_43778.jpg

This worked very well.  In the bustle, I missed getting a shot of the meat when I plated it, but it was juicy and not overcooked at all.  And it stayed warm all evening.  This is a good trick for those of us who aren’t set up for sous-vide!

• Like 2