• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hoarding Ingredients - suffering from Allgoneophobia?

Kerry Beal

I definitely buy more than is immediately needed.  I have an entire shelf of pasta, and each shape must have at least two boxes, because you never know if you will need more than 1 lb. to feed the number of people who are eating.  Another large shelf consists entirely of tomato products, etc.  I am meticulous about rotating my stock, and keep stuff in my garage freezer if needed.  The only section that is out of control (to me) is the sweets baking section because it's my sister and niece's domain.  I just know there is old and useless stuff in there, but I am not allowed to touch it. I keep it in my auxiliary kitchen so I don't have to see it daily.

Another pandemic holdover I have not let go of is keeping extra paper products in the house.  My family's preferred brands, (along with Lysol wipes and good masks of course) were the hardest things to find for the longest time, even after yeast and flour came back in stock.  I converted a closet in my guest room to storage for that stuff during the pandemic, and it's not ever going to change back.  

• Like 5

15 hours ago, liuzhou said:

I'd forgotten this topic.

For some reason (pandemic?), all my sources of my favourite Portuguese canned sardines in olive oil have dried up. I normally buy them in batches of 30 and when I'm down to the last ten start to panic and re-order. Now I'm down to seven and can't find any more, so I have stopped eating them, because if I do, I'll run out! I'm saving those seven until I don't need them any more.

1334784058_portuguesesardines2.thumb.jpg.5fe929df58d6e41d4bd8e30c067d1a10.jpg

I looked through google images.

https://sukli.com/products/century-tuna-premium-premium-sardines-in-olive-oil-120-g

3 hours ago, TdeV said:

There is something decidedly strange about that website.

First of all they claim it's 100% Authentic Filipino (Filipino Portuguese Sardines?), but then you look at the delivery information and find everything is shipped from the USA.

The sardines (without delivery) cost more than double per can what I have been paying with delivery to my door. I don't really feel like paying to ship sardines from Portugal (to the Philippines?) to the USA to China on top of that outrageous price.

But sincerely, thanks for trying.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

• 1 month later...

These are my most hoarded right now.  Wild artichokes that I get from Zingerman's.

thumbnail_IMG_3931.jpg.841c66c3fa84f45de1eac43648c422c7.jpg

They are currently $20 a jar.  I can't tell you how many times I've taken them out of the cabinet and then put them back in, unopened.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 minutes ago, Shelby said:

They are currently $20 a jar.  I can't tell you how many times I've taken them out of the cabinet and then put them back in, unopened.  

That's what I call - Inventory Control!

• Haha 3

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

10 minutes ago, Shelby said:

These are my most hoarded right now.  Wild artichokes that I get from Zingerman's.

Take the advice given on their website:

"open the jar and just eat 'em straight up."

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

57 minutes ago, Shelby said:

They are really good.  If you can bring yourself to open them lol.

This seems to imply that you have (sometime previously) actually opened the jar, then? 😀

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, TdeV said:

This seems to imply that you have (sometime previously) actually opened the jar, then? 😀

Perhaps before they reached $20 a jar?

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 2 months later...
On 9/9/2017 at 5:12 PM, liuzhou said:

Chinese food stores and supermarkets have this insane habit of stocking something, having it sell out within days or minutes, then never restocking. I have a pet theory that they just think it messes up their shelving arrangements.

"People just come in here and empty that shelf I spent 10 minutes filling up. Why can't they just let it be? Don't get that stuff again!"

Or maybe the stores are just hoarding their stock

It's almost never bad to feed someone.