• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Cook-Off #67: Apples

David Ross

On 10/19/2019 at 10:26 AM, Darienne said:

Just found a recipe for Apple Chips and that's next.  All the problems of Apple Leather and Dried Apple Slices gone in the blink of an eye.   

The Apple Chips turned out to be more trouble than the dehydrated slices and so I've turned back to making the slices.  I was wondering how on earth we were going to eat all those apple slices when the problem was suddenly solved.  I began to give away bags of them.  To the garage guys, to the vet techs.  

The response has been overwhelming.  Folks just LOVE them.    I shall give away more.  And to my great surprise, the garage owner, a somewhat laconic type, phoned me this evening to find out how to make them.  And one of the vet techs is trying to keep her weight down and thinks they are wonderful.  

A new gift to give.  Hooray! 

• Like 5

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

15 hours ago, David Ross said:

Hard to believe we are the nation's top apple producers here in Washington, but until this year we hadn't cultivated an apple in the state.  Washington State University created the "Cosmic Crisp" which is just now in markets.  From what I've read it takes years to cultivate a new apple so I'm sure they've been at it for a while.  They will own exclusive rights to sell the apple for 10 years.  I haven't seen it yet, but it's described as a cross between the Enterprise and the Honeycrisp.  They say that it has a long shelf life and does well stored in the fridge. It's best for eating they say with a good balance of sweet and tart and very crisp.  I'll try to buy some when it shows up locally.  It's already in markets in the Seattle and Yakima areas.

Cosmic Crisp Apples.jpg

I think grant writing is a big factor - gottaa pay someone to do it. well. 

• Like 1

On evenings I bake, dinner is typically an apple.  Tonight I took one for science and the team.  Honeycrisp has never been my favorite variety, though it ranks up there.  Pink Lady I always thought was superior, not to mention a cheap date.  Last year I discovered Lady Alice who reigns as my current paramour.  Granny Smith remains my elder mistress, she never disappoints.

And so to my tasting with malus aforethought:  Pink Lady was not available; the showdown was between Honeycrisp and Lady Alice.  Both organic and fine specimens.  Bread, quartet of cheeses and a liter of methode rotuts for cleansing of the palate.  (Palate can get awfully dirty.)

To begin, Lady Alice was the prettier of the two.  The Honeycrisp perchance had too much green.  Both had fine sweetness and acidity.  Slightly different aromatics.  The Lady Alice won out on texture.  And the Honeycrisp oxidized faster than the Lady Alice.  (It takes some while to cleanse the palate properly.)  Indeed the Lady Alice suffered no oxidation during the course of the experiment.

Could I have told the difference in a triangle test, probably.  Could I have guessed the variety blindfolded double blind, probably not.  Still, tonight's nod went to Lady Alice.

• Like 3

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I can't keep up with the varieties.  I grew up in northern apple orchard country.   Northern Spy, Winesap, Jonathons, McIntosh, Pippin, Snow are cemented in my mind as what I judge all other apples by.   Used to piss me off at school lunch they would serve us the effing awful Red Delicious apples when right out the door of the school were local apples of heritage and great taste.    The only apple I look forward to now, where I am, is the Jazz.   I think I'll try the Cosmic Crisp out of curiosity, but Jazz variety reminds me of those northern apples quite a bit.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 2

I screwed up a couple days ago.  I bought some Granny Smith apples because I had been craving apple pie.  I am picky about apple pie.  I don't like any crunch in the apples.  They need to keep their shape, but NO crunch.  So, I always pre-cook my apple pie filling (also, you can put more apples in the pie 'cause they cook down).  It's a tricky thing---can't over do it or by the time you bake the pie it's mush.  

I over did it.

:(

It wasn't mush by any means, but it wouldn't have worked in a pie.  So, I put it in the fridge and thought about it for a couple days.

I found puff pastry in the freezer so I thought apple turnovers!  Never made those before.

YUM.

Sometimes a screw up works out

thumbnail_IMG_6980.jpg.9aed0b84317b752e625baf90b2507714.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6982.jpg.422e5abdc1305faffaad9ad77dbb3fdc.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6983.jpg.aebd20f24d62e70db4f85d3565ed266b.jpg

Still hungry for pie though .........

• Like 7
  • Delicious 5

@Shelby

completely agree on the ' crunch ' issues for apples

in apple desserts.

I don't skin mine , when i do apple desserts , mostly crisps , as they are a lot

easier than ' pastry lines ' desserts.

might fine looking turnovers.

like the glaze.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One year DH and I were on a trip to the Seattle area and I was driving; made a wrong turn coming out of a rest area so we decided we'd try to find our way back and got kind of lost.  (I am notoriously bad at directions and tell everyone that I can get lost leaving an empty room.)

Anyway, our new route took us through orchard country and I've never seen so many apple trees...miles and miles of them.  Interesting, all kinds of fruit trees and lots of picking going on.

• Like 4

On 10/28/2019 at 7:51 AM, Shelby said:

I screwed up a couple days ago.  I bought some Granny Smith apples because I had been craving apple pie.  I am picky about apple pie.  I don't like any crunch in the apples.  They need to keep their shape, but NO crunch.  So, I always pre-cook my apple pie filling (also, you can put more apples in the pie 'cause they cook down).  It's a tricky thing---can't over do it or by the time you bake the pie it's mush.  

I over did it.

:(

It wasn't mush by any means, but it wouldn't have worked in a pie.  So, I put it in the fridge and thought about it for a couple days.

I found puff pastry in the freezer so I thought apple turnovers!  Never made those before.

YUM.

Sometimes a screw up works out

thumbnail_IMG_6980.jpg.9aed0b84317b752e625baf90b2507714.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6982.jpg.422e5abdc1305faffaad9ad77dbb3fdc.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6983.jpg.aebd20f24d62e70db4f85d3565ed266b.jpg

Still hungry for pie though .........

I do the same thing. A lot.  Whether it's a recipe I found or a new dish I'm creating, I get things done and think, "well I didn't get that right." But often I re-think and re-work it the next day and it's much better.  And those look tasty.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2019 at 8:53 AM, lindag said:

One year DH and I were on a trip to the Seattle area and I was driving; made a wrong turn coming out of a rest area so we decided we'd try to find our way back and got kind of lost.  (I am notoriously bad at directions and tell everyone that I can get lost leaving an empty room.)

Anyway, our new route took us through orchard country and I've never seen so many apple trees...miles and miles of them.  Interesting, all kinds of fruit trees and lots of picking going on.

Years ago I sometimes went to Wenatchee, WA on business.  It's the heart of WA apple country.  There was this little cafe in the airport that made the best fresh apple milkshakes.  Sounds weird and I never figured out how they got apple flavor so pure and fresh in a milkshake.

• Like 2

On 10/28/2019 at 11:53 AM, lindag said:

Debbie Macomber (who lives near Seattle) wrote a series of romance novels based in eastern Washington called the Apple Valley series.

On the other hand … my mom always had us peel the apples for pies, cut into quarters, cut the cores out then half were cut lengthwise and half crosswise.  S then cooked them down slightly in butter then added her spices and then into her lard crust.  She told us she cut the apples that way so she could get more into the pie.  As a kid they were Northern Spys a gentleman always brought down from upstate.  We always bought two bushels and they went into the cellar for the winter.

• Like 1

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

1 hour ago, suzilightning said:

Debbie Macomber (who lives near Seattle) wrote a series of romance novels based in eastern Washington called the Apple Valley series.

On the other hand … my mom always had us peel the apples for pies, cut into quarters, cut the cores out then half were cut lengthwise and half crosswise.  S then cooked them down slightly in butter then added her spices and then into her lard crust.  She told us she cut the apples that way so she could get more into the pie.  As a kid they were Northern Spys a gentleman always brought down from upstate.  We always bought two bushels and they went into the cellar for the winter.

Sad about Northern Spys.  Haven't seen them in a grocery store in our area anyway forever.  OTOH, we have our very own Northern Spy tree in our back yard.  Alas, it is not faring well.  Along with the thriving Mac.  And we have no idea how old the trees are.  Ditto for all the trees on the farm (which originally was two 50-acre farms).  

Another apple I miss is the Russet.  eGers have posted that they can get them somewhere, but that where is not my where.  

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

22 minutes ago, Darienne said:

Another apple I miss is the Russet.  eGers have posted that they can get them somewhere, but that where is not my where.  

I see them (very) occasionally at Superstore. It's possible you may be able to come to an understanding with the produce manager at your nearest Loblaw brand, and get a call as/if/when they're available.

Edited by chromedome (log)
  • Thanks 1

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

I grew up with many apple trees grafted so the whole name thing not an issue. We just preferred certain ones. My favorite apple grower is in Temecula, Ca   They have since expanded the types. - they are outstanding    post-52659-0-39003000-1304278472.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I commend to any of you, and especially those who make apple butter, the Arkansas Black apple. It's a very late-ripening apple with firm, tart flesh and an almost black (thus the name) skin, and it makes absolutely the best apple butter I have ever made. Didn't get any this year, but I'm low on apple butter, so will have to remedy that next year.

I had several Jazz apples on the counter that needed using, and I'd pulled a recipe for Fresh Apple Cake from the 12 Tomatoes site, so those two combined today. It's a very heavy, pound-cakeish batter (has cream cheese in it, no other liquid other than eggs), and produces a moist, dense and quite tasty cake, even for having been adapted to gluten-free. It would benefit from some cinnamon and other apple-friendly spices, and I might think about swapping the white sugar for brown sugar next time, but I'll call it a success. The recipe called for dusting it with powdered sugar (I didn't), but I think it'd benefit from some good caramel sauce.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

10 hours ago, kayb said:

I commend to any of you, and especially those who make apple butter, the Arkansas Black apple. It's a very late-ripening apple with firm, tart flesh and an almost black (thus the name) skin, and it makes absolutely the best apple butter I have ever made. Didn't get any this year, but I'm low on apple butter, so will have to remedy that next year.

I had several Jazz apples on the counter that needed using, and I'd pulled a recipe for Fresh Apple Cake from the 12 Tomatoes site, so those two combined today. It's a very heavy, pound-cakeish batter (has cream cheese in it, no other liquid other than eggs), and produces a moist, dense and quite tasty cake, even for having been adapted to gluten-free. It would benefit from some cinnamon and other apple-friendly spices, and I might think about swapping the white sugar for brown sugar next time, but I'll call it a success. The recipe called for dusting it with powdered sugar (I didn't), but I think it'd benefit from some good caramel sauce.

@kayb - I bet you could easily make this recipe gluten-free - replacing the 100 grams of flour with either a nut flour or the flour mix from Modernist Bread.

Bourrote Aux Pommes

Ingredients

• 60 grams cornstarch
  • 100 grams all purpose flour
  • 100 grams sugar (less)
  • 75 grams melted butter
  • 5 tablespoons milk, 75 grams
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • vanilla
  • 4 cut up apples or pears

Method

mix all then stir in butter. Bake 375º for 40 minutes. She bakes in a charlotte pan.
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, kayb said:

Black Arks are the absolute best! Very hard to come by here in CA. Our favorite market used to get them for a very very short season, but the last few years they have disappeared. I'm not an apple butter person, and I've never cooked them, but just eating out of hand they are unique.

• Like 1

A few days ago I brought back and apple recipe I hadn't made in years, Apple Tart with Smoked Cheddar Custard in a Toasted Hazelnut Crust.  The idea was to update what my Grandmother served-apple pie with a slice of cheddar cheese.  We didn't have a tradition of serving cheddar with apple pie, but I think she wanted to try it.  I don't think I ever understood, but it was delicious.  I mean a slice of cheddar alone.  So I wanted to work cheddar in another way.  Smoked cheddar is mild and the smoke flavor doesn't overpower the cheese.  

It must have been 20 years ago when I created that recipe.  It was for a corporate summer picnic and I think there was a dessert contest.  I remember slogging it to the park in a covered Tupperware.  A tart with custard suffers in the summer heat, and it looked pretty melted as I recall.  But I think the judges liked it.  I can't recall if I won, got a prize or a handshake.  This season I vowed to make it again with a few changes.  I stayed with the Fuji apples and didn't change the custard.  Instead of my pie crust recipe I used my shortbread that I always do for tarts.  I toast hazelnuts and pressed some into the shortbread.  The idea is to celebrate WA State apples and another crop from the Northwest, the hazelnut.  We lived in Salem, Oregon when I was a kid and we always called them "filberts."  My Father worked for the State of Oregon Ag Department and was the advisor to the "Filbert" commission.  Years later when the term "hazelnut" became popular we always chuckled behind the scenes.

Coring and slicing the apples.JPG

Forming Shortbread in Tart Pan.JPG

Shortbread pastry formed in tart pan.JPG

Smoked Cheddar Custard Ingredients.JPG

Apples on smoked cheddar custard.JPG

Unmolding the Apple Tart.JPG

Apple Tart with Smoked Cheddar Custard.JPG

Sliced Apple Tart with Smoked Cheddar Custard.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Hello @kayb here is the full recipe-

Ingredients

For the Smoked Cheddar Custard-

• 4 egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1" piece vanilla bean, cut in half you can substitute pure vanilla extract
  • 2 cups whole milk

Toasted Hazelnut Shortbread Crust-

• 1 cup whole hazelnuts
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 12 tbs. butter, melted

For the Apples-

• 2 large Fuji apples
  • 1 tbsp. lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp. apple jelly
  • chopped toasted hazelnuts for garnish
  • whipped cream or vanilla ice cream

Make the Smoked Cheddar Custard-

-In a mixing bowl add the egg yolks and sugar and whisk to combine until the mixture turns a light yellow color. Add the flour and whisk to make a smooth mixture.

-Pour the milk into a saucepan over medium-high heat. Cut the vanilla bean in half and scrape the seeds into the milk. Bring the mixture to a simmer.

-Use a ladle to spoon 1/2 cup of the warm milk into the bowl with the egg, sugar, and flour and whisk to combine. Then blend the flour mixture back into the saucepan with the milk. Cook the custard until it begins to thicken, about 2 minutes. Take the custard off the heat and pour it through a strainer into a container. Let the custard cool then cover and refrigerate to chill, about 4 hours.

Make the Toasted Hazelnut Shortbread Crust-

-Heat the oven to 375. Place the hazelnuts on a cookie sheet and toast until just browned, about 10 minutes. Remove the hazelnuts and place them on a kitchen towel.  Rub the towel over the hazelnuts, removing most of the skins. Put the hazelnuts in a mini-food processor and pulse until they are finely chopped. Reserve some of the toasted hazelnuts for garnishing the apple tart.

-Heat the oven to 375. In a bowl, combine the flour, powdered sugar, melted butter and 1/2 cup of the toasted hazelnuts and mix together to create a soft dough. Using your fingers, pat the dough into the bottom of a 9" round non-stick tart pan with removable bottom. Use a paring knife to trim the excess pastry from the edge of the tart pan.

Slice the Apples and Bake the Tart-

-Use an apple peeler/corer to peel and cut the apples into 1/4" thick slices. Fill a bowl with cold water and add the lemon juice. Plunge the apples into the lemon juice to keep it from browning.

-Ladle 1 cup of the chilled smoked cheddar custard into the tart shell. Cut each apple in half. Gently fan the apples on top of the custard.

-Place the tart on a cookie rack over a baking sheet and bake 35-40 minutes until the apples and custard are golden. Remove the tart from the oven and let cool to room temperature. While the tart cools, heat the apple jelly in the microwave for 30 seconds. Brush the apple jelly over the top of the apples. Sprinkle some of the chopped hazelnuts over the top of the tart.

-Cut the tart into slices and serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.

• Delicious 3

2 hours ago, David Ross said:

Hello @kayb here is the full re

But I can’t find any smoked cheddar in the recipe.  

• Thanks 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

3 hours ago, David Ross said:

-Use an apple peeler/corer to peel and cut the apples into 1/4" thick slices. Fill a bowl with cold water and add the lemon juice. Plunge the apples into the lemon juice to keep it from browning.

-Ladle 1 cup of the chilled smoked cheddar custard into the tart shell. Cut each apple in half. Gently fan the apples on top of the custard.

-Place the tart on a cookie rack over a baking sheet and bake 35-40 minutes until the apples and custard are golden.

Do you just use that one cup of custard mix or do you top up with more custard after positioning the sliced apples? 

1 hour ago, Anna N said:

But I can’t find any smoked cheddar in the recipe.  

Yikes I left out the main ingredient in the custard for everyone!  Add 3/4 cup grated smoked cheddar cheese to the hot custard and stir to blend. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FauxPas said:

Do you just use that one cup of custard mix or do you top up with more custard after positioning the sliced apples? 

Hi.  I used 1 cup of the custard mix.  Then the apples on top and that's it.  There will be leftover custard, so yesterday I made small custard tart without the apples.  

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, David Ross said:

Yikes I left out the main ingredient in the custard for everyone!  Add 3/4 cup grated smoked cheddar cheese to the hot custard and stir to blend. 

Thank God. I read it four times, certain I was looking right past it. Thanks. Amended version saved.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I made apple dumplings the other day ... I like to use a Granny Smith for them 😁 ... Mr Cat and Cat Son love them ... 

I have been reading about a new apple variety coming in Dec - the Cosmic Crisp (hybrid Honeycrisp and Enterprise?) ... did I miss talk about about it somewhere?

• Like 1

I have an EpiPen ... my friend gave it to me when he was dying ... it seemed very important to him that I have it ...