• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best cleaning device for bread dough bowls

gfron1

When I make my sourdough and need to clean the bowl I typically use a copper brillo after a scraping with a pastry scraper.  But the dough always makes the brillo so nasty that I have to pitch it.  What is everyone else using that is easier and less wasteful?

Perhaps in your commercial setting you don't have the luxury of time and space, but in my home kitchen I fill with warm water after the initial removal and let it sit for maybe half an hour. Generally use the side of my hand and then a greenie to get any stuck bits of which there are rarely any.

• Like 1

Cold water 5 minutes, use my handy-dandy cleaning spatula (basically the silicon blade of a spatula whose handle died) to remove excess gunk, then a cheap pot scrubber to finish the job.  (Commercial bakery - I do 5-10 big stainless steel bowls of poolish/pre-ferment a day depending on demand.)

• Like 1

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

pretty much what has sead :

a cold water soak

then something w a sharp but a bit flex-able tip 

you then empty the water, scrape up those bits,

dont but those bit in you Garbage Dispoale   !!!

A trick that I learned from a breadmaking class at King Arthur: a handful of flour works wonderfully to clean up goopy dough from your hands, your bowls, etc. without clogging your sink. So if I have a bowl that's got sticky dough bits, I'll dump a spoonful of flour and use my hand to rub it around and loosen the dough, then rub it between my hands to clean them, and finally brush it all into the trash.

If it's dry dough, I soak in cold water for a bit, as others have recommended.

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Soak in cold water but then I use a long handled dish brush instead of a scrubby. It cleans up so much easier. And goes through the dishwasher without an issue.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Cold water...who knew!  Thanks guys.

Yep because hot water makes library paste! Ate a pile of that in my day as did most toddlers who had Nanas who knew the magic of a cup of paste, safety scissors, a scrap book and any old catalogue. Now I think they add salt to spoil the fun.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I run hot water over the interior to set the dough a bit so it loses its elasticity, and simply scrape it out; takes about 15 seconds, and there remain just a few light smudges to clear away with a dish scrubber.

Also, I use the Goodby Detergent! scrubbers (admittedly, with detergent) which rinse clean much more easily than Brillo, and don't scratch.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

I use the hottest water possible from the kitchen tap, this 'melts' stuck dough from the bowl and the dough hook making both simple to clean in seconds. I've tried various sponges with green scoured backs but without exception these seem to retain some of the dough however thoroughly they are washed afterwards so I've completely given up on any such aids until all visible dough has been jetted off with hot water.

• 1 month later...

You know those nylon? or otherwise very durable flexible plastic mesh bags that produce like onions or fresh brussels sprouts sometimes come in? The ones that are sort of a diamond shaped mesh that's expandable and very strong to contain heavy produce that needs to breathe.

Well, I used to toss them in the landfill trash because our local recycling program won't take them.

Now I've discovered you can save and use them to clean icky stuff like bread dough bowls and melted cheese stuck onto dishes that will gunk up the scrubbies you buy to the point they can't be cleaned. These durable mesh bags, wadded up, will make short work of scraping the worst gunk off. Then rinse in running water and shake the bag  into the sink, and the gunk goes down the drain.

They can be thrown in the top rack of the dishwasher for sanitation. I always do that after using with something like cookie dough which contains raw eggs.

They last a long time in a home kitchen, at least, cost you nothing, and they also keep waste out of the landfill for quite a while.

I've also found that they don't scratch anything, unlike the green Scotch Brite scrubbies. Those things will scratch 18/8 stainless with some vigorous elbow grease.

> ^ . . ^ <

That's a good tip, Thanks for the Crepes. 3M, who makes a blue scrubby that does not scratch steel or teflon, will not thank you. But I will. ;-)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown