• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Any place in the US that sells reindeer meat?

Hassouni

So I was in Sweden recently and was exposed to the wonders of smoked reindeer heart and smoked reindeer rump. I think it's my new favorite meat. Are there any online/mail-order sources in the US that sell it? Maybe in...Minnesota, or Alaska, or something?

rotus:  Vapiti/Elk, they say it is a bit like that.  I know that roe dear and reindeer has different texture to the meat and when it comes to the heart it is just the same BUT they way a heart is smoked up north is different from the south and the heart is expensive even here,  Reindeer meat  is more like  European Elk a smaller cousin of the moose, but still not the same. 

Now I am drooling, I hope mum sends down some  dried reindeer meat for Christmas.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Reindeer and roe deer steaks/meats are wonderful. All kinds of smoked reindeer bits are quite normal in Norway, too. (Pics -in .gif file, are small but you have an idea how normal it is in Norway to see this kind of thing there)

I also enjoyed S(a)ami reindeer and elk salamis (in Norway) very much.

http://www.indianvalleymeats.com/gourmet_meat.htm

It is the only place I know of that ships whole steaks/medallions. For reindeer sausage you can also try:

http://www.alaskasausage.com/Gourmet-Sausages.aspx

There are several other sources in Alaska to get reindeer and other game meat, but those are the two companies up here that I can personally attest to the quality of their products. (If you like lox, these are wonderful: http://www.alaskasausage.com/Smoked-Salmon.aspx)

• Like 1

rotus:  Vapiti/Elk, they say it is a bit like that.  I know that roe dear and reindeer has different texture to the meat and when it comes to the heart it is just the same BUT they way a heart is smoked up north is different from the south and the heart is expensive even here,  Reindeer meat  is more like  European Elk a smaller cousin of the moose, but still not the same. 

Now I am drooling, I hope mum sends down some  dried reindeer meat for Christmas.

I ate Euro elk too (yeah, same species as moose) - reindeer was much yummier!

Oh yes  Elk  salami is lovely  and yes it  Alces Alces Alces  and not Cervus canadensis  .

My Canadian friend said  that you should look for Caribou.  She is taking courses in  Reindeer herding at the moment.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Have you looked at Jungle Jim's on line store?  They seem to have an ever changing selection of unusual meat choices.  Visiting the store is on my bucket list.  

We get up to Cincinnati and visit Jungle Jim's on occasion. It's certainly an experience not to miss if you get anywhere near one! I've never looked for Reindeer meat there but I would think it's quite possible they may have it, they have so much exotic stuff.

I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Oh yes  Elk  salami is lovely  and yes it  Alces Alces Alces  and not Cervus canadensis  .

My Canadian friend said  that you should look for Caribou.  She is taking courses in  Reindeer herding at the moment.

I'm also looking for Västerbotten cheese, but that's a different issue

Well when mum was over  in Burträsk a few weeks back, she was told that Västerbottenost is sold at most IKEAS in USA. They should know, they make the cheese.  I do like Västerbotten but I miss how it used to be before it got popular.  

• Like 2

Yes I am just finishing up some Vasterbotenost from IKEA.  Name brand product, too, not Ikea Food.  Cheeses are one of the few name brand items still available at the Ikea Food Store although they do carry 'Ikea Food' cheeses, too.  Got some Heergard I'm going to be getting into next.

I was looking for reindeer myself last fall when I was having fun making tunnbrodrolles; found pretty much what others have found - too expensive for my budget. 

I keep hoping a local grill that specializes in game meats will give it a try - they've offered burgers and sausage dogs with elk, camel, pheasant, python -- maybe one of these days.  I asked the guy one time about where to get this stuff and he just said it was a commercial supplier.

Caribou is the name most often used for  wild reindeer. In Sweden we dont have any wild, they are all owned.

You might have more success in North America looking for caribou than reindeer. I believe they are the same beast.

Thank you! There are lots of results for that. Although a lot of them seem to be in Canada. I assume it's damn difficult to have meat shipped from Canada to the US?

Edited by Hassouni (log)

Thank you! There are lots of results for that. Although a lot of them seem to be in Canada. I assume it's damn difficult to have meat shipped from Canada to the US?

Yes caribou are the same species.  I still remember eating delicious reindeer in Sweden when I was a 7 year old. The only time I've eaten 'bou it wasn't so great due to the preparation.  It was poached (;-) then fried on a camp stove to ultra-well done. I had nothing to do with it except the eating.

I didn't realize there are no wild caribou/reindeer in Sweden although I knew they were raised domestically. Too bad, the sight of a herd moving across the tundra is amazing. 

• Like 1

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

harefurs,  they are owned but they are  not kept like cows, they  a free range and walk all over   the north of  Sweden,  So they are all  wild but owned , it bit paradoxical I know. But because they are owned they are no longer seen as wild, even if herds takes care of them self most of the year. They are send down  with trucks in some areas for the winter  feeding grounds for example.