• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Blondies. Are they nice?

Sophie Cook

They are nice!

Here's my recipe - 

Butterscotch Squares
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • ½ cup pecans
Melt butter, add sugar and rest of ingredients. 8X8 inch pan. 325 (140 centigrade) for 15 minutes then leave in turned off oven for 20 minute
  • Like 1

Are you referring to the bar cookies that are like brownies in shape and texture, but not predominantly chocolate? (American and British terms sometimes differ.) If so, a lot of people over here think they're great. I've always preferred brownies.

Edit: Kerry's answer is much better than mine. :-)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Are you referring to the bar cookies that are like brownies in shape and texture, but not predominantly chocolate? (American and British terms sometimes differ.) If so, a lot of people over here think they're great. I've always preferred brownies.

Hi Smithy, Yes, that's what I was referring too. Are they made with White Chocolate usually? 

I've never heard of them over here in the UK before!

email: sophie@cookscook.co.uk

twitter: cookscookuk instagram: cookscookuk

Not with white chocolate.

Yeah - that's why I originally thought they sounded sickly, as i've seen a few recipes with white chocolate in. Basically brownies with white choc instead of dark. 

Thanks,

Kerry, what about with chocolate chips instead of, or in addition to, the pecans? (Can you tell I'm a chocolate junkie? :-))

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I think of them as a chocolate chip cookie in bar form.  Yum.  Anything I would put in a chocolate chip cookie would work - walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts, any type of chocolate, coconut, etc...  Maybe not all in the same bar...

Very much yum.  My mom used to make them and Irish Soda bread for sale in the summer to augment her income.  I love them as is - since to me it seems more of a caramely thing and no nuts but I don't think I would mind some mini chocolate chips (ducks from Kerry's incoming).

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Very much yum.  My mom used to make them and Irish Soda bread for sale in the summer to augment her income.  I love them as is - since to me it seems more of a caramely thing and no nuts but I don't think I would mind some mini chocolate chips (ducks from Kerry's incoming).

No need to duck - only my opinion.  I'm sure they'd be very tasty - but just not what I think of as blondies.  

when I was a freshman in college, a F across the hall got some 'Blondies' send from his Mon

never heard of these.  he offered me one.  that's a big deal.  freshman are Soooooo hungry !

it was a bar like a brownie, but had no choc, but a a great Brown sugar flavor.

he only gave me one !

:huh:

I thought the whole idea of blondies is that they're a cake with a brownie-like texture but don't have any chocolate in them, so adding chocolate chips would sort of defeat the purpose. Then again, I'm not a big fan of chocolate chips in brownies, either. I think the cake should speak for itself. (So to speak.)

I thought the whole idea of blondies is that they're a cake with a brownie-like texture but don't have any chocolate in them, so adding chocolate chips would sort of defeat the purpose. Then again, I'm not a big fan of chocolate chips in brownies, either. I think the cake should speak for itself. (So to speak.)

I've never had a blondie. How sad is that? But always assumed they were brownies made with white chocolate. Guess I will have to make some to see what all the fuss is about. Don't much like brownies mind you.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I've never had a blondie. How sad is that? But always assumed they were brownies made with white chocolate. Guess I will have to make some to see what all the fuss is about. Don't much like brownies mind you.

You haven't?  I've made them every time we are up north - but never left one for you I guess!

• Like 1

You haven't?  I've made them every time we are up north - but never left one for you I guess!

Or maybe I declined! Have no memory of blondies! But then my memory is abominable. Perhaps I will make a batch tomorrow.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Or maybe I declined! Have no memory of blondies! But then my memory is abominable. Perhaps I will make a batch tomorrow.

Perhaps because I call them Butterscotch Squares.

• Like 1

Perhaps because I call them Butterscotch Squares.

Okay so now we are starting to make sense. Butterscotch squares ring many bells. Blondies do not! Let's get our terminology sorted out here! When I google Blondies I come up with an awful lot of recipes that include white chocolate in some form or another.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

They are nice!

Here's my recipe - 

Butterscotch Squares
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • ½ cup butter
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • ½ cup pecans
Melt butter, add sugar and rest of ingredients. 8X8 inch pan. 325 (140 centigrade) for 15 minutes then leave in turned off oven for 20 minute

Kerry - I made your recipe last night. Delicious! Thanks for sharing.

The pecans work really well.

I had to cook them for a little longer - weren't quite ready at the time stated above.

Edited by Sophie Cook (log)

Did you turn off the oven and leave them in for the 20 minutes?

They are meant to seem a little undercooked - kind of sticky and dense.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

My 2004 eG Blog

I haven't made them in a long time, but they do tend to be sweet. Most blondie recipes have an equivalent amount of sugar as brownie recipes (albeit brown sugar for the flavor), but blondies don't have unsweetened chocolate in them, so the balance is very different. I might try to make some later if I have time. I don't make them often enough to have a "go to" recipe, but I will try either Kerry's or the one in Joy of Cooking, since I use their brownie recipe more often than not. (Maybe I'll make both.)