• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Suggestions for drinking my dinner

ElaineK

TL;DR version: I have to drink most of my meals for the foreseeable future, and I'm running out of creativity. Please help!

My gastroenterologist has put me on a mostly liquid diet, supplemented by soft, easy to eat foods. I'm also very fiber-limited (no more than 15g/day, and 10g/day would be better).  It's supposed to be a high calorie diet, but I either haven't figured out how to cram enough calories in, or I'm not eating enough of it. 

The bulk of my calories are considered "full liquid". That's a texture somewhere between water and panna cotta. I can have 1-2 cups of food a day with more substance. Tuna salad, pasta with a smooth, slippery sauce, braised meats chopped small, fruit and vegetables cooked very soft, cooked rice, saltine crackers, etc. 

Fats that are a liquid at body temperature are fine (oil, mayo, etc). Fats that don't liquify at body temp (hard cheeses, hard meat fat, liquid fats cooked into a substrate like buttery crackers) don't seem to be well tolerated. The in betweens like peanut butter and soft cheeses are ok in small quantities. 

I'm really tired of milkshakes, puddings and yogurt. Smoothies are less sweet, and make up the bulk of my meals right now. I'm eating a lot of braised chicken thigh, water injected deli turkey with dressings or dips and thinned mashed potatoes. 

I could really use more creative suggestions. Small batches are a big plus. 

Blender/chopper advice wouldn't go amiss either. I got a magic bullet and it does an ok job on the fairly simple smoothies I make. We're considering a vitamix or blendtec for smoother purees/soups, but most of my usage is in the 8-12 oz range. Is that too small of a batch for the more powerful blenders?

What about eggs, softly scrambled (barely set) or devilled and then blended into a paste? Liverwurst and cream cheese, possibly thinned with a compatible broth? Guacamole?

You mention needing to restrict the fiber, but I have to think you're missing out on nutrients if you cut out all the vegetables. Some ideas here: those scrambled eggs with cooked spinach and feta cheese, all blended to a paste if need be; cooked, pureed squash done like mashed potatoes; same idea with carrots or other root vegetables? What about vegetable-based pastas in small quantities?

I can't answer about those ultra-powerful blenders, but you might also consider a wand blender, which works well chasing stuff around in a pan or else in small containers; some come with their own container.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Poached eggs, sole, Atlantic salmon, calves liver, processed cheese slices, large flake oatmeal, ackee,  minestrone, apricots, cherries, mangoes, bananas etc.

I use a smaller bowl Vitamix, the 32 oz, and it is fine for small households.

I make a very quick brandade when under the weather: Honest Earth Instant potatoes, garlic powder, evoo, cream, and flaked cod or sole; about 20 oz. and 20 seconds in the Vitamix.+

Braised pork shoulder, or cottage roll, might be a change from chicken thigh.

Can you eat mousse  like  Salmon mousse,  chicken mousse, tuna  mousse, smoked fish mousse?   

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I second the guacamole idea. You can also make pasta sauce from avocados.

You could make bisque soup from a variety of seafood items. (it's thickened with rice)

Terrines and pates seem like they might work for you.

And, what about souffles, both savory and sweet?

• Like 1

Mousses, souffles and brandades brings me to gelatin, the simplest of all. Have you explored the possibilities of making your own, using unflavored gelatin packets? I've made it with a wide variety of fruit juices, as well as broths.

Gee...if you were looking for an excuse to get into the Modernist Cuisine movement, this would be your excuse to get a rotovap and whipper, to make your own foams. :-)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

salty lassi for a break from sweet shakes & smoothies

vichyssoise or other smooth cream soups

congee/savory rice porridge - either cook the rice until it falls apart, or puree briefly in the blender with chicken stock and ginger, nice with a poached egg

chocolate (if melting in your mouth is liquid enough)