• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking for Diabetic Visitors

Dejah

Of course if she follows Ruth's suggestion above to serve meat, starch, veg and salad - then Jim can limit his own carb intake without anyone else at the table having to.  

As mentioned upthread there are only two things you must do:

1. Ask your guests what they 'd like. Don't guess .

2. Don't combine carbohydrate side in a single dish with the protein.

Don't worry about glycemic index, etc. stick to No. 1 and No. 2 and all will be well.

Some random thoughts, not rules:

For most diabetics, legumes are friendly foods. But not everyone likes them.

Do make available the ingredients for a simple green salad.

You don't have to avoid fats, since they help create a sense of satiety. But don't go heavy. Meals high in fat can produce a delayed but high spike in blood glucose.

Above all, go back to No.1. Each person with diabetes can have different reactions to different foods. Your guest knows best, so ask and don't sweat. So long as you have good choices available, he or she can eat what they want. And don't freak if they decide they want ice cream or another sweet: with good planning a diabetic can accommodate into his/her regular diet a planned treat.

Serve a balanced, reasonably healthy meal devoid of over-the-top excess and your guest will be appreciative.

If he/she uses insulin they are probably prepared with their own supplies in case of low blood glucose. But it would be nice to have available a couple small juice boxes and graham crackers or similar carbo source just in case. Make sure they know where these are since low glucose tends to strike insulin users at 2 or 3 a.m.

Edited by rlibkind (log)
  • Like 2

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Watch out for yoghurt as it often contains a huge amount of sugar.

The guidance given above is good. Basically you need to avoid quick-burn carbs which will spike blood sugar (food to avoid include white bread, pasta, white rice [although Basmati is better than other types]; fruit juices; many prepared foods and sauces in the USA, which tend to be loaded with sugar).

Instead of mashed potato, try mashed cannellini beans. Chicken is great, but avoid the high sugar content you can get in marinades. Try a Greek marinade that contains salt, lemon, olive oil, garlic, and oregano.

The important thing to look at is the glycaemic index (GI). Check out this site for a list of low GI foods that are suitable for diabetics.

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

Went grocery shopping with a lot of your posts in my head! The recipes I'm including are from a friend who cooks often  for her diabetic visitors, but I am keeping in mind what yourfolks have posted

Sat. supper / dinner: prime rib roast, Yorkshire pudding - a couple with whole wheat flour, Grilled Mediterranean salad. I'm going to post the ingredients...What do you think?  Serves 4

• 3/4 pound(s) baby Yukon gold potatoes
  • 1 pound(s) mixed zucchini and yellow squash, halved lengthwise
  • 1/2 pound(s) asparagus, ends trimmed
  • 1 head(s) (8-ounce) radicchio, halved or quartered
  • 1 teaspoon(s) kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground pepper
  • 1 pint(s) mixed heirloom baby tomatoes, halved
  • 3/4 cup(s) torn basil leaves
  • 1/2 cup(s) pitted kalamata olives, halved
  • 3 ounce(s) (3/4 cup) Ricotta Salata cheese, crumbled
  • 2 tablespoon(s) extra-virgin olive oil
  • 2 tablespoon(s) white balsamic vinegar

For dessert,  I'm making Free-form Pineapple Mango Berries tart: serves 8. I'll leave some fruit in a bowl with whipped cream sweetened with stevia. WAIT! Is trevia ok for diabetics?

• 2 cup(s) all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
  • 1 1/2 stick(s) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1/2 cup(s) ice water
Filling
  • 1/4 pineapple, peeled, halved lengthwise, and sliced crosswise 1/16 inch thick
  • 1/2 mango, halved lengthwise and sliced crosswise 1/16 inch thick 
  • 1 small banana, sliced
  • 8 medium strawberries, finely chopped
  • 24 blueberries
  • 2 tablespoon(s) unsalted butter, melted
  • Sugar, for sprinkling
  • Crème fraîche or vanilla ice cream, for serving

I have lots of salad greens / fixings. a variety of cheeses, raspberries, pecans.These I just noted ones with 0 sugar and carbs, or 1g sugar 2 carbs, etc. Have some 0% fat Greek yogurt on hand as well.I like it with berries myself!

For breakfast Sunday, it'll be sausages, eggs, and whole wheat English muffins for those who can have the muffin.

Lunch: probably leftover beef, and salad.

Supper / dinner: I'm going to go ahead with the Citrus marinated roast chicken, but serve the reduced marinade on the side, wild rice pilaf, stir-fried baby bok choy.

Smoke Gouda, Havarti cheese ok with WASA for snacking?

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Sounds good but doesn't meet my definition of diabetic food.....I would just make what you feel is best.

If Jim is the kind of guy who's on a very restrictive diet, he'll carry food with him or have some other back-up plan.

Don't stress about it!

:smile:

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

Oh crap...so I've failed...I was hoping there'd be enough choice that Jim COULD choose... :sad:

I'm doing a large piece of steelhead trout with lime, cilantro, ginger, green onion, and lemongrass in foil on the BBQ. It'll be in the fridge to eat with salad, veg...as another option.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

I'm doing a large piece of steelhead trout with lime, cilantro, ginger, green onion, and lemongrass in foil on the BBQ. It'll be in the fridge to eat with salad, veg...as another option.

That sounds great.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

I think it all sounds great. Based on my (admittedly limited) experience with diabetics, I think he'll have plenty of wonderful food from which to choose. As for the stevia: I recommend you ask him about that - or any other sugar replacements - before using it as a sweetener. I don't think it's an issue for diabetics, but I'm not sure; furthermore, I personally think the stuff is vile. If he feels the same way it would be a shame to ruin the dessert!

It sounds like you're going to have a wonderful visit, and they'll feel blessed by your thoughtful hospitality. As others have said before me: relax now, and have fun!

Edit: I previously overlooked your statement that his wife is allergic to nuts. I retract my approval of pecans. :-)

• Like 1

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Why do you need to have the "conventional Western dessert" at all?  (All that sugar - or scrounging for sugar substitutes)  Try a cheese plate, no crackers for Jim, crackers for the others.  Stuff like that.  Fruits depending on what Jim can eat.

Just.quit.on.the.breads.

Regarding rice (as in your pilaf) - a note here...long grain, like Basmati, which is what would be appropriate for a pilaf, are the preferred rices for diabetics because they have higher lower glycemic indices.  Short grain, glutinous types, are baaaad for diabetics.  It *is* a good thing to look up the glycemic index for foodstuffs, as another poster suggested earlier.  The principle is to stay away from stuff that releases sugars/carbohydrates "all in a rush".  Simple sugars (glucose, fructose, etc) will do that; complex carbohydrates slow down the process of boosting serum glucose levels "all at once", which is one major thing that seriously bad diabetics need to avoid, so even many fruits can be bad.

Is he Type 1 or Type 2?  Is he on insulin, and if so is he injecting it or taking pills?  If not on insulin is he "just" on something like Metformin which would mean he is not in a critical stage of diabetes?

Edited by huiray (log)

huiray: I'm actually making the pilaf with wild rice, so it should be ok.

Dessert - I will have blueberries, strawberries, peaches, raspberries, a variety of cheese available along with "conventional western desserts".

We really don't know these folks well and I didn't want to ask too many questions. They may be made to feel they are "too much trouble" and not enjoy their visit, or worst still, NOT come. If I have lots of options, then I CAN check with Jim when they arrive tomorrow. He's stuck then and I can make him feel at ease "in person".

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Since some of the posters seem to think pasta is a no-no for diabetics, let me comment .

It 's counterintuitive, but plain old boxed dry macaroni products (spaghetti , penne , etc,) don't seem to cause a rapid rise in blood glucose in most diabetics, whether type 1 or 2. Of course , this doesn't hold true with large portions. And the amount and ingredients in the sauce will play a role. But a 45-60 gram serving (weighed before cooking) seems fine.

Fruit, in moderation, is okay. But "moderation" means two servings a day, tops, with no more than 15-20 grams carbs per serving. A serving is would be a medium peach or apple, or six ounces of cubed canteloupe.

Regarding yogurt: Greek yogurt, particularly of the non-fat variety, is a diabetic's or dieter 's best friend. Lotsa protein, low carbs, no fat. I mix it with flavor extracts and Splenda, sometimes add a very small portion (10 grams) of unsalted nuts, maybe a sprinkle of unsweetened shredded coconut if I'm not combining it with one of my fruit servings.

But all this is minutiae: all you need to do is provide healthy food with plenty of choices: lean meats, fresh vegetables, carb sides that aren't fat-laden, I.e., don't make mashed potatoes like Joel Robuchon with a pound of butter! Ditto for dairy.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Regarding yogurt: Greek yogurt, particularly of the non-fat variety, is a diabetic's or dieter 's best friend. Lotsa protein, low carbs, no fat. I mix it with flavor extracts and Splenda, sometimes add a very small portion (10 grams) of unsalted nuts, maybe a sprinkle of unsweetened shredded coconut if I'm not combining it with one of my fruit servings.

But all this is minutiae: all you need to do is provide healthy food with plenty of choices: lean meats, fresh vegetables, carb sides that aren't fat-laden, I.e., don't make mashed potatoes like Joel Robuchon with a pound of butter! Ditto for dairy.

http://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2013/03/03/The-Obesity-Epidemic-and-the-Truth-about-Cholesterol

As mentioned in a previous post, fats in moderation are a diabetic's friend, not enemy. It sates appetite and allows for slower release of energy.  Wheat, even whole wheat, has some of the highest glycemic indices of all foods. Potatoes, if it should be eaten at all, should have an ample amount of fat in it 

Edited by takadi (log)

Our friends arrived around supper time. Jim does injections - several times a day and ate everything in moderation. The roast beef was perfect; Yorkies were just out of the oven; grilled Mediterranean salad was enjoyed (even tho' I had to grill in the rain and wind!); green salad filled out the meal. For dessert, after a lull for the rest of the meal to settle, we made up our own desserts. Instead of making my own pastry (ran out of time due to cleaning house!), I bought tart shells. With a choice of raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and a chopped up mango and whipped cream, we all had a fruit tart and just more fruit.

About 2 hours ago, we snacked on some cheese and pieces of fresh peach.

Thanks to everyone here, I survived without a lot of stress and so did our guests!

I asked about the roast citrus chicken, wild rice pilaf, stir-fried baby bak choy and got the thumbs up. Breakfast: sausage and eggs, whole grain toast, and lunch will be cold cuts, cheese, and salad...I think. Greek yogurt and more berries are available whenever.

:smile:  :smile:  :smile:  :smile:  :smile:  Happy!

• Like 7

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Our friends arrived around supper time. Jim does injections - several times a day and ate everything in moderation. The roast beef was perfect; Yorkies were just out of the oven; grilled Mediterranean salad was enjoyed (even tho' I had to grill in the rain and wind!); green salad filled out the meal. For dessert, after a lull for the rest of the meal to settle, we made up our own desserts. Instead of making my own pastry (ran out of time due to cleaning house!), I bought tart shells. With a choice of raspberries, blueberries, strawberries and a chopped up mango and whipped cream, we all had a fruit tart and just more fruit.

About 2 hours ago, we snacked on some cheese and pieces of fresh peach.

Thanks to everyone here, I survived without a lot of stress and so did our guests!

I asked about the roast citrus chicken, wild rice pilaf, stir-fried baby bak choy and got the thumbs up. Breakfast: sausage and eggs, whole grain toast, and lunch will be cold cuts, cheese, and salad...I think. Greek yogurt and more berries are available whenever.

:smile:  :smile:  :smile:  :smile:  :smile:  Happy!

From what I know, a diabetic who is injecting insulin has a lot more leeway than someone on orals meds.  They can do an immediate adjustment if their blood glucose spikes.  So you're home free :)

Our Texas visitors have left Canada. It was too cold here for them! It's been around 16C here and going to 2C tonight. It's even cold for us Canadians!

As mentioned, the husband is diabetic (brittle diabetic?) and the wife is allergic to peanuts only, and not extremely allergic.

So, I survived. :smile:  
The roast beef turned out beautifully, and the folks liked their beef med. rare. I cooked the 4-ribber at 225F from noon to 5 pm, then put in the Yorkshire pudding. Forgot to take a picture of the roast but got the other items.

Grilled Mediterranean Salad dressed with olive oil / white balsamic vinegar 

GrilledMedSalad0056.jpg

Yorkshire pudding

Yorkie0059.jpg

Mixed berries eaten with store-bought tart shells and whipped cream, assortment of aged cheddar cheese and smoked Gouda

MixedBerries0057.jpg

Other meals: Steelhead Trout in herbs and limes slices BBQ in foil - eaten in salad

SteelheadTrout0051.jpg

Citrus Marinated Roast Chicken

1CitrusChicken0067.jpg

Wild Rice Pilaf

1WildRicePilaf0068.jpg

BokChoy:

BokchoyAuJuice0069.jpg

Variations of this salad. I started first meal with basic stuff. Then, when I found out our guests can eat berries and pecans, I added of these these to the basic, along with fennel bulb,

MixedSalad0070.jpg

For breakfast, we had sausage and eggs, or lean bacon and eggs with whole wheat bread containing red fife wheat and very low sugar.

Having survived this visit, I certainly know more about the diabetic condition. Thanks for all of your input!

• Like 3

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Thanks for letting us know how it all worked out! The food looks delicious, all of it. I'm sure your guests felt very welcomed without being uncomfortably fussed-over.

What is the yellow item in the grilled Mediterranean salad? Yellow bell pepper? Grilled peach?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanks for your comments. :smile:

Smithy: The Grilled salad called for yellow and green zuchinni but I only had green, so a chunked up yellow bell pepper. I didn't think it would affect the taste but certainly added colour appeal to the eyes.

• Like 2

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com