• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oyster Sauce Suggestions Please

Shel_B

I recently purchased a bottle of Lee Kum Kee premium oyster sauce, which has been my go-to choice for quite some time. However, I hadn't purchased it for a couple-three years.  When I used it last night I was somewhat disappointed - it didn't taste the way I remembered it.  Could be the sauce has changed, or, more likely, my palate has changed.  In any case, I'd like to experiment with some different options.

What suggestions do the oyster sauce sophisticates have to offer?  Maybe something not as salty, or less filled with additives and coloring?  I've heard that some Thai oyster sauces are an improvement over LKK.  Any suggestions in that regard?

... Shel

What suggestions do the oyster sauce sophisticates have to offer?  Maybe something not as salty, or less filled with additives and coloring?  I've heard that some Thai oyster sauces are an improvement over LKK.  

LKK is the McDonald's of Chinese sauces. Their products are nearly all mass produced in huge factories on the Chinese mainland and sold world wide.

I recommend this one.

http://www.honestfoods.com/oyster.html 

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I also do not like LKK

where I go there are various 'oyster sauce's'

look carefully at the first ingredient 

it should read  'oyster extract'   not soy bean, sugar etc

that's the best I can do.  might need to take a microscope a small magnifying glass to read some of the fine print, though.

look carefully at the first ingredient 

it should read  'oyster extract'   not soy bean, sugar etc

that's the best I can do.  might need to take a microscope a small magnifying glass to read some of the fine print, though.

Carrying a small magnifier seems like a good idea.  Lately, it seems that I've been reading, or trying to read, lots of fine print.  I can read the ingredient list on the LKK easily ...

... Shel

Ive also had that brand, indeed Im looking at a bottle now.  

Ill have to get another for the 'bull pen'

an odd note here:

the actually label itself says 'oyster extract, ..., ... '

but there is a superimposed label in black and white over that that says ' soya bean paste, sugar, ....'

cant say why.

but its very good.

LKK is the McDonald's of Chinese sauces. Their products are nearly all mass produced in huge factories on the Chinese mainland and sold world wide.

I recommend this one.

http://www.honestfoods.com/oyster.html

Oyster extract is listed as the very last ingredient in their ingredient list. Sounds to me that this brand is more befitting of the McDonald's comparison

Edited by takadi (log)

Amoy has/had an oyster sauce with dried scallops in it that was just divine, It had a very intense "bivalve" flavor that was just amazing. Unfortunately I haven't seen it sold in my local asian groceries in a very long time. I tried looking it up online and it is nowhere to be found... I suspect Amoy has discontinued it. Oh well

Edited by takadi (log)

Oyster extract is listed as the very last ingredient in their ingredient list. Sounds to me that this brand is more befitting of the McDonald's comparison

Really?

Here's the relevant label on the bottle of LKK oyster sauce I'm currently using.

DSCN2459a_800.jpg

I was referring to the product from the honestfoods site

Ah, OK.  I misunderstood you then.  Yes, that one from Honest Foods does indeed have oyster extract as the last item in the list of ingredients.

Perhaps they are being more honest than most. Many brands list oyster extract first but then concede that it is in fact oyster with water and salt. Listing the actual percentage of oyster is extremely rare. 

All I can say is that I tried it (in London) and found it to be very pleasant.

Here in China I use a brand which lists water as its first ingredient. Given that LKK lists water twice, salt twice, and sugar twice, probably not that unusual.

I wil confess, however, that I am no connoisseur oyster sauce - I seldom use the stuff.

an odd note here:

the actually label itself says 'oyster extract, ..., ... '

but there is a superimposed label in black and white over that that says ' soya bean paste, sugar, ....'

cant say why.

That is very common here. Different labelling laws in different countries mean that imported goods are often relabelled.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I tried the Thai-produced Maekrua oyster sauce side-by-side with the USA-produced Lee Kum Kee oyster sauce.  I still prefer the LKK sauce, by far.  The Maekrua sauce seemed more salty and sweet than oysterish.  Definitely sweeter.  JMTC.

• 1 month later...

I tried the Thai-produced Maekrua oyster sauce side-by-side with the USA-produced Lee Kum Kee oyster sauce.  I still prefer the LKK sauce, by far.  The Maekrua sauce seemed more salty and sweet than oysterish.  Definitely sweeter.  JMTC.

I bought Maekrua a few weeks ago based on this thread and I have to agree with you, it is pretty awful. A very bad syrupy consistency with a sickly sweet taste. There was also a taste of oxidized soy sauce. Explains why it was dirt cheap

David Thompson (Nahm) recommends Megachef brand, which is the one that I use. I notice that it can be purchased in the USA now from Amazon. Link here. As an aside, Andrea Nguyen gave their fish sauce a very good review.

the ingredients:

IMG_1440%5B1%5D.JPG

Just picked up some Megachef oyster sauce and fish sauce at the store. Haven't opened the bottles but hope they're good. The oyster sauce was quite cheap ($3.99 for 600ml, ~20oz). The LKK premium was over $7 for a smaller bottle. Can't believe how much Amazon is charging for Megachef.