• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"Off-label" Uses for Ramen Noodles

GlorifiedRice

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HA HA!  Tell me you own this!!!  Is that a dessert in the top middle?????  Looks similar to the one that has crushed pretzels on the bottom with strawberries and jello?  Awesome if it is lol.

Yes, I just got it at the supermarket at check out. There are 9 desserts.

• Like 1

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

An American woman  I know here made med  chocolate and peanut butter noodle squares... it wasnt  good but it wasnt bad either it was just weird.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw David Chang on TV eating a brick of dried ramen noodles like a candy bar.

That's really popular with kids where I live. They open the package, dump the flavor packet in, give it a shake and it's snack time. They even sell it targeted as a snack food with the flavor powder already loose in the package so they can just give it a couple whacks on a hard surface (if they want it in pieces), shake it up a bit, open the package and start munching.

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

In my college days, I'd sometimes eat them straight from the brick. No need for the seasoning packet. It was quicker and easier than cooking them, especially when it had been a long day, or if I was on the go between classes.

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I don't think we have mentioned that ever popular vintage slaw known as "Sumi salad" that incorporated broken up ramen noodles and cabbage with a "Asian" dressing. Example http://www.food.com/recipe/sumi-salad-23695  I have even seen it in the serve yourself take-out selection at Whole Foods.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

And when you've used the noodles off-label here's what to do with the seasoning package according to David Chang

http://www.thekitchn.com/met-the-ramlet-the-ramen-omelette-hybrid-invented-by-david-chang-food-news-214921

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog