• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolatiers and Cooking Equipment Shops in NYC

Mette

I know this should probably be in the NYC-forum, but you guys are the experts!

I'm going to NYC next week for a week's summer school, and will have a little bit of spare time. Which chocolatiers and kit-shops to visit? I will not have a car and I'm staying in Manhattan.

Thanks

If it's still there (every time I go back at least one of my favourite shops is gone) the cookware shop on the north side of 17th Street between Broadway and Fifth (close to Broadway, though), the name or address of which I never remember, had an amazing selection of stock, great prices, and some of the surliest staff you can imagine. If/when you're in the area of Union Square, definitely worth a look.

Broadway Panhandler is impressive, but if you go in with a backpack, they will make you check it :hmmm:

ETA: For actual chocolates, La Maison du Chocolat is literally my third stop every time I set foot back in NYC. I usually hit the one near Rockefeller Center (because there is–or, I hope still is–a Japanese sweet shop nearby, which is my second stop, following Yasuda; also, it tends to be remarkably quiet for the area), although the one further uptown on the west side of Madison between 78th and 79th has a bigger selection (I'm not usually in the mood to schlep that far uptown when I'm still trundling my baggage behind me). I also really like Petrossian's chocolates, on 7th Avenue, between 57th and 58th (do not be put off/convulsed with laughter by the sometimes hilariously would-be-hip staff).

• Like 1

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

Kees for chocolates, JB Prince and NY Cakes for kit.  Then fly to Toronto - I'll pick you up at the airport and you can come over and dig through the thousands of moulds at my house!

• Like 1

If it's still there (every time I go back at least one of my favourite shops is gone) the cookware shop on the north side of 17th Street between Broadway and Fifth (close to Broadway, though), the name or address of which I never remember, had an amazing selection of stock, great prices, and some of the surliest staff you can imagine. If/when you're in the area of Union Square, definitely worth a look.

I love that shop. I was walking West from Union Square the other day and I noted that it wasn't there -- however, I am not sure if I was walking on 17th or 16th Street, since I was just ambling. I'll be in the area again this weekend so I'll make a point of looking for it.

NY Cake is a fun store, albeit expensive fun. And it's right near a Trader Joe's, which may well clinch the deal. I second the suggestions for Dominique Ansel (forget the cronuts, try everything else) and Chikalicious. Ignore Max Brenner. There's a newish(Jewish) bread bakery on 16th just west of Union Square. Exceptionally good stuff (at exceptionally high prices) 

I know this should probably be in the NYC-forum, but you guys are the experts!

I'm going to NYC next week for a week's summer school, and will have a little bit of spare time. Which chocolatiers and kit-shops to visit? I will not have a car and I'm staying in Manhattan.

Thanks

I highly recommend FIKA (fikanyc.com).  The flagship store is in Tribeca located at 450 Washington Street.  Hakan is a very talented chocolatier and has a great crew.  Tell him I sent you!

Edited by lebowits (log)

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"