• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iconic noodles dishes

bhsimon

Not being noodles in any imaginable way. probably not.

Interesting response. Corinne Trang, author of Noodles Every Day, has a different take.

"A cookbook on Asian noodles would not be complete without a chapter on dumplings and buns. Considered to be part of the same food group as noodles…"

Just saying.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Not being noodles in any imaginable way. probably not.

I have no idea who Corinne Trang is, but is she seriously suggesting that anyone looking at this would think "Oh Yes! Noodles!"?

post-18452-0-20931700-1384490508.jpg

Just asking.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 1

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

I can't teally speak for Ms. Trang. But at the same time I can sort of understand where she's coming from. Andrea Nguyen in Asian Dumplings says:

"Writing in the third century C.E., Chinese poet Shu Xi, considered one of the most learned men of his day, described a number of Chinese foods made from wheat as being members of the bing family of doughy concoctions. In "Rhapsody on Bing" Shu Xi lumped filled dumplings, stuffed buns, baked and fried bread, and noodles in that one category of food..."

There is an accent on the i of bing which I cannot replicate.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Good heavens! I had never heard of these and so googled them.

http://www.japantrendshop.com/chohiehie-north-pole-nagashi-somen-noodle-fountain-p-1769.html

Away with the chocolate fountain and in with the noodle fountain!

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Good heavens! I had never heard of these and so googled them.

http://www.japantrendshop.com/chohiehie-north-pole-nagashi-somen-noodle-fountain-p-1769.html

Away with the chocolate fountain and in with the noodle fountain!

If anyone is interested, there are units for sale on eBay at a much lower price.

• Like 1

Everything gets product-ised in the end.  Nagashi somen, in the wild, looks like this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZP9gvJvijE

tanoshii = enjoy!

(and flame = frame, at a guess).

Traditionally, the half-pipes are bamboo.  Here's another one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7ZzW5fqt-o

It's a summer party thing.  Everyone has their bowl of dipping sauce, and off you go.  Depending on the size of the venue and event, you can be more or less creative with the scale and layout of the chute network.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Interesting response. Corinne Trang, author of Noodles Every Day, has a different take.

"A cookbook on Asian noodles would not be complete without a chapter on dumplings and buns. Considered to be part of the same food group as noodles…"

Just saying.

I think they count.

Noodles are basically dough rolled out or hand-pulled, then cut or formed into shapes.

Dumplings are dough that have been rolled out, cut, then folded over a filling. Kind of like ravioli. :wink:

"A cookbook on Asian noodles would not be complete without a chapter on dumplings and buns.

I think they count.

Noodles are basically dough rolled out or hand-pulled, then cut or formed into shapes.

Dumplings are dough that have been rolled out, cut, then folded over a filling. Kind of like ravioli. :wink:

Regarding 'dumplings', I see where you are coming from, although personally, I would never refer to ravioli or jiaozi etc as noodles. 

What really gets me is the inclusion of buns. They are nowhere near alike. A totally different form of dough (usually yeasted) and cooking method.

My personal favorite, pancit:  http://pinchofyum.com/filipino-pancit

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Regarding 'dumplings', I see where you are coming from, although personally, I would never refer to ravioli or jiaozi etc as noodles. 

What really gets me is the inclusion of buns. They are nowhere near alike. A totally different form of dough (usually yeasted) and cooking method.

Probably because it involves dough.

The form of the dough doesn't seem to be an issue.

Agree.

Otherwise I will start calling pizza noodles.

dcarch

I wonder if the noodle/dumpling thing is just a matter of being lost in translation.  The Mandarin pronunciation for both flour dough and noodles sound the same, "mian" (I am completely illiterate in the language, so someone else can confirm if the written character is the same).  Or specifically "mian fen" and "mian tiao" - but whenever anyone in my family said "mian", we all know which one is being referred to, from the context.

So I suppose one could understandably lump dumplings, noodles, and anything made of flour in the same category, and I think it makes sense to put them all in the same chapter in a cookbook ("Stuff Made From Dough").  Although I have yet to see a Chinese style filled dumpling that looks remotely like a noodle, much less buns made of yeasted dough....   :blink:

Except for flour dumplings in soup, "mian ge da", made of a thickish sticky batter of flour+water, thumb-sized blobs of which are dropped into simmering soup to cook, a bit like spatzle.  Or like cutting noodles.  One of my favourite comfort foods!

And I'm going to contribute spatzle as another iconic noodle dish!

Yeah, Duvel introduced Käsespätzle in the 4th post here.  Long ago I had a South German mother-in-law whose spaetzle were excellent, though I don't recognise them in the description "thumb-size blobs".  They were more like udon in physical form, though with an airier texture..

For me, if we're to be strict, noodle's an English word.  The dictionary I have here says it comes from German nudel.  On that basis, even ravioli is pushing it

Wikipedia:  Noodle is quite informative.

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

So I suppose one could understandably lump dumplings, noodles, and anything made of flour in the same category, and I think it makes sense to put them all in the same chapter in a cookbook ("Stuff Made From Dough").  Although I have yet to see a Chinese style filled dumpling that looks remotely like a noodle, much less buns made of yeasted dough....   :blink:

This I agree with. A broad categorization just like animal, vegetable, mineral but then I ask where do Mandarin pancakes and such fall?

My 2004 eG Blog

The Mandarin pronunciation for both flour dough and noodles sound the same, "mian" (I am completely illiterate in the language, so someone else can confirm if the written character is the same).

Almost correct. The Mandarin term for "wheat flour (面粉)" and "wheat noodles (面条)" are both abbreviated to  面 miàn. So yes, the written character is the same.

Rice noodles, however, are 米粉 (mǐ fěn) which means both "rice flour" and "rice noodles".

As you say, the context sorts out the difference 99% of the time - a common feature of Chinese.

The local specialty here, which I have mentioned and illustrated upthread is 螺蛳粉(luó sī fěn). The first two characters mean a type of snail, then we have 'fěn'. Any Mandarin speaker would know immediately that it was a rice noodle dish, although I've seen it translated as "snail powder". The joys and hilarity of Google MisTranslate

Edited by liuzhou (log)

In Sweden we have  Stuvade makaronier ,  it is elbow pasta in a thick milk sauce and we eat it most often with sausage.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.