• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Iconic noodles dishes

bhsimon

I'm looking to make a list of iconic noodle dishes. Here's my start:

– Ramen

– Pad Thai

– Pho

– Laksa

Expand at will.

(No need to be distracted by my use of the word 'iconic'. Let it mean what you want: popular, well-known, whatever.)

• Like 2

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

This thread got me thinking about a dish my mom used to make.  Here's the way she did it:

Mom's Noodles and Cheese

1 pkg Goodman's wide egg noodles (or comparable brand)

Cottage cheese (large curd, full fat)

margarine (or butter)

fresh ground black pepper (optional, but not in Mom's repertoire)

Cook noodles according to directions on package, drain. Put some margarine in the warm pot while noodles are draining, add the noodles back to the pot, turn heat up to med or so, and add a little more margarine if needed. Add as much cottage cheese as you like, stir to mix with noodles and margarine enough to warm the cheese to your preference, season to taste with some pepper and serve on pastel-colored Melmac plates or in bowls.

Over time I've played with the recipe, adding some twists like lemon zest, or a bit of nutmeg, once or twice mixing a little blue cheese into the cottage cheese, and actually coming up with measurements for the ingredients.  I enjoy it about once a year or so.

• Like 1

... Shel

Timpano

Slippery Pot Pie

Hiyashi Chūka Soba

I forgot about timpano.  I have prepared it a few times - when I was still catering.  It is certainly "iconic" -  I also have a recipe for the "pasta pie" dessert, Torta Ricciolina.  I think it is from one of Marcella Hazen's books. 

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

THAT just got saved!!!  Sounds delicious and I love dishes where the ingredients are always on hand.  Thanks.

This was once a Lenten dish popular in Germany, Austria and etc, and often served with a side of stewed prunes.  I first tasted it during the brief time I lived in Wisconsin in the mid-1950s.  That's when the Catholics really paid attention to the dietary restrictions during Lent. 

A few years later I met a Hungarian family who told me it was also a very popular dish in their part of Hungary, which is close to Austria.

• Like 1

I'm not sure if it is the same as Lisa Shock's "Slippery pot pie"  but in mid and southern Appalachia  there is Chicken and Slicks - a chicken stew with flat, homemade "noodles" also called "rolled dumplings" although the similarity to regular dumplings is decidedly distant.

I believe Alton Brown did a show about this dish a few years ago, although a cursory search did not locate it.

I'm not sure if it is the same as Lisa Shock's "Slippery pot pie"  but in mid and southern Appalachia  there is Chicken and Slicks - a chicken stew with flat, homemade "noodles" also called "rolled dumplings" although the similarity to regular dumplings is decidedly distant.

I believe Alton Brown did a show about this dish a few years ago, although a cursory search did not locate it.

Sounds like the same dish. I had it in people's homes in the Appalachian part of Maryland. It was chicken stew with hand-rolled noodles, although, I was informed here that one can buy the noodles in a box.

• Like 1

Luosifen.jpgLiuzhou Luosifen (螺蛳粉 luó sī fěn)

Guilin_mifen.jpg

Guilin Rice Noodles (桂林米粉 guì lín mǐ fěn)

Zhajiangmian (炸酱面 zhá jiàng miàn)

Lamian?

Lamian is a type of noodle, not a noodle dish as such. They are used in many different dishes.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Sounds like the same dish. I had it in people's homes in the Appalachian part of Maryland. It was chicken stew with hand-rolled noodles, although, I was informed here that one can buy the noodles in a box.

I searched again, using the various terms for noodles, including "rolled dumplings" and found AB's recipe.

• Like 1

Lamian is a type of noodle, not a noodle dish as such. They are used in many different dishes.

That's why I put the ?...

Spoaghetti cacio e pepe is to me an iconic noodle dish. As is carbonara.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Any "Roman" pasta dish

Cacio e pepe

Spaghettii alla Carbonara

Bucatini All'matriciana  

Fettucine Alfredo (though this dish originated in Rome it no longer exists in Italy as this incarnation...closest thing is called fettuccine al triplo burro)

Spaghetti alle vongole

Sounds like Penn Dutch "pot pie" -- which is chicken soup with big fat slippery noodles.  I got quite a surprise the first time I ordered it.

Don't forget "tuna noodle casserole" for an iconic dish!

• Like 1