• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Greetings from the gorgeous state of Oregon!

rareaffaire

My brother and I share a home and a catering business in a blue collar, meat and potatoes, ex-logging community of 3,000.  Now there's a challenge!  We live 45 minutes from a minor metropolitan city and 3 hours away from Portland.  That being said both Eugene and Portland are extremely culinarily active. All of our culinary professors say we belong in Portland but when you're a home owner with a cabin on a beautiful river, it's hard to tear yourself away.  We both supplement our income by being home care workers (helping disabled and elderly continue to be independent.)  I've been a home care worker off and on for about ten years and I have to say it's been fascinating learning to cook for people with dietary restrictions.  My current client is on a no salt diet and she loves cheese, pickles and lunch meats.  When people find out about my cooking prowess we are often asked what our specialties are and we quite frequently reply "charcuterie", to which most people reply with a blank stare.  Our current quest is to learn charcuterie without salt.  Is that an oxymoron? (No, an oxymoron is not an idiot addicted to pain killers.)  

Our current endeavor is a 501©3 non profit corporation dedicated to teaching low income people how to cook nutritious foods for themselves and their families with an emphasis on getting away from convenience foods.  Once that happens we have been invited to partner with Food for Lane County one of the largest and most successful food programs for the under-privileged in the Pacific Northwest. 

So thanks for the opportunity to pick my fellow culinarians brains.  I'm excited to be aboard.

Tracie

Hi Tracie.  Welcome to eG.

Lots of brains here to pick, so dive in.  At the same time, we'd like to hear more about what you do.  Our members have their share of dietary restrictions; it sounds like you'll have some tips we can use as well.

We're a pretty friendly bunch, even if some of us like to argue :smile:.  Hop into the forums and get posting - see you out there.

Regards,

Leslie

(I always thought an oxymoron was a particularly stupid cow ...)

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Hello,

I happen to be in Portland just now, and agree that the food scene here is vibrant. The natural surround is pretty wonderful, also.

So, about "teaching low income people how to cook nutritious foods for themselves and their families with an emphasis on getting away from convenience foods."

There was a thread some months ago that talked about teaching a mature adult how to cook. You might want to look that over. Likewise, search around for lists of primary kitchen utensils. I suspect a lot of people may only have a microwave, a coffee maker, probably a fridge, but possibly not a stove. While they are not basic utensils, my family relied on a large electric skillet and a slow cooker for many years.

Beyond that, our big pot for pasta,  a good knife, and a spatula had continual use. I suppose you will encounter people who do not even know how to boil water. I've run into 2 young fellows who honestly did not know how to bring water to a boil. No pasta, or boiled eggs or 'taters for them.

Another big hurdle will be getting people to take the time to cook. That is the down side of non-convienience cooking. The up side is that if one cooks in big batches, and portions food for storage, the cost may drop dramatically. But I suppose there may be many folks who will have some problem buying bulk items, or even standard portions.

Gotta go, good luck on your endeavor.