• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amchur/Amchoor Powder

Shel_B

I've decided to try my hand at making Chana Masala, and discovered that one of the typical ingredients is amchur, or amchoor, powder, which is available from several sources on line.  Never having used it before, I don't know what to look for in terms of quality, freshness, or taste.  Does anyone have a recommendation or suggestion as to which powder to get, or what to look for when buying the product.  Thanks!

... Shel

• 2 months later...

You might try calling an Indian grocery in your area (Jai Ho perhaps? Don't know them myself but I see they get reasonable reviews on Yelp) and asking if they have dried green mango slices in stock so you could grind your own fresh. Or failing that, ask them if they stock the powder. I don't imagine it costs much - just go buy some locally and try it.