• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2014 –2015)

Shelby

Hello, Margaret, and welcome!

It may help if we know the ingredients and their proportions that you're using. Have you experimented with the order you put them in? My machine manual recommends putting in the liquids first, the solids atop that, and the yeast on top of everything else. Are you using bread machine yeast or some other kind?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

20141115_130902_zps6273abd2.jpg

I love this recipe, easy to use and I will double it,  yes I had a change something around,  like the amount of yeast, if I added 2  Swedish dry  yeast satchels , that would  100 gram of fresh and that would make for a very very yeasty dough. But on the whole,  if I get to do this alone, no kid screaming her head of because she is tired and doesnt want to sleep, I  will get lovely proper bagels.

Your bagels turned out well.   100gs would be a lot of yeast. :smile:   Even the 12g or 4  teaspoons is substantially more yeast than what I typically use in making bread with a similar amount of flour.

One packet dry is the same as  50 gram fresh.  I was ponder to use fresh  but I went for the dry instead.

I will make these  again in 14 days.  

My husband as asked for  my  poppy loaf so I be making that  to night.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

I baked flatbread tonight to go with my Paula Wolfert lamb tagine with dates.  To transfer the dough to the baking stone I somehow grabbed tapioca starch from the freezer rather than the intended cornmeal.  This may be interesting.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

I have a new starter on the go that has a little bit of rye in it along with the white. Not sure if it will make much of a difference in flavor but I sure hope so. Just started it yesterday so I should hopefully have a really nice loaf on the go from it within 2 weeks. Tends to take me 10-12 days to get it up and going where I like it.

"If you can crack an egg one-handed, you'll have no problems undoing a brassiere." -Newfie saying

After helping pbear out yesterday and sending my lovely loaf over to my daughter's house and realizing how easy the Forkish bread is, I made these two today. They were proofed on a pizza peel and baked directly on my baking stone in the oven.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I baked flatbread tonight to go with my Paula Wolfert lamb tagine with dates.  To transfer the dough to the baking stone I somehow grabbed tapioca starch from the freezer rather than the intended cornmeal.  This may be interesting.

Since I forgot to edit, I can report that indeed tapioca starch does not work well for dusting bread.  Plus it makes a remarkable mess of the stove and oven.  About the worst bread I have baked in decades.

Glad I did grab the xanthan gum.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

A semolina bread to be used in Joanne Weir's delicious crostini with fennel sausage http://www.joanneweir.com/recipes/firsts/crostini-with-fennel-sausage/

semolina batard.jpg

semolina crumb.jpg

Reinhart multi-purpose lean dough baked using pbear's "cheater method" http://forums.egullet.org/topic/150002-cheater-method-for-hearth-style-bread-anyone-up-for-testing/?hl=%2Bbread#entry1996389. After it cooled I cubed it and lightly toasted the cubes. They will be used in TG dressing.

white boule crumb.jpg

white boule cubed.jpg

• Like 2

Beautiful loaf Dave.  

White%20Homestyle%20Bread-L.jpg

I baked basic white homestyle bread today.  I can't remember the last time I baked this style of bread or used a bread pan.  I bought a some vintage loaf pans a few years ago and never used them.

I have a lot of leftover turkey  so I wanted a sandwich bread.

Handmixed using the same stretch and fold, autolyze method I use to make my regular breads.  But this bread was made with the addition of milk and butter.

White%20Homestyle%20Bread%20Sliced-L.jpg

• Like 4

With deer season starting tomorrow, and hungry hunters to feed breakfast to, I made some English muffins.  THANK goodness they finally turned out.......the last two tries were so dismal that I was almost afraid to give it another go.

photo.jpg

• Like 6

BTW :  Shelby :  those EM are Screaming :  Steam Boy

it makes such a difference, if you post the Rx  i might even start to make my own

there is always a downside though :  w the CSB + ( even generic ) EM's + butter = significant wt. gain.

:sad:

so keep that in mind.

• Like 1

Shelby, those look amazing. Whose recipe did you use?

I use this recipe

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/baked-english-muffins-recipe

I don't have any Hi Maize fiber, so I omit it and add more flour.  I'm not sure if that's the correct thing to do, but it seems to work.  I also omit the pizza dough flavoring.

It is 21.30 in Sweden and  I just made a  dough, we are out of bread and I am hoping for a nice porridge loaf.  I am tired  but my husband promised to  take over and finish it if I fell a sleep.

I haven't taken pictures of my loafs lately due to ugliness,   right now before the house temperature settles for winter  bread rises in a weird way  and well the bread twist and turns in the oven.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

It is 21.30 in Sweden and  I just made a  dough, we are out of bread and I am hoping for a nice porridge loaf.  I am tired  but my husband promised to  take over and finish it if I fell a sleep.

I haven't taken pictures of my loafs lately due to ugliness,   right now before the house temperature settles for winter  bread rises in a weird way  and well the bread twist and turns in the oven.

The cold-climate aspect is interesting.  I haven't noticed it in northern Minnesota, but that may be due to a different style of cooking or a different time in my life.  If you can bring yourself to show the development/evolution during these 'ugly' times, I'd love to see it...especially if you have a summertime photo of the same thing for contrast.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

SMithy: we live in a  concrete house, that in the old days  was heated up so the walls was warm and this was good system,  they started early before the frost and house  when warmed up could be kept warm with out blasting the radiators on full.  Sadly they changed the heating system and  the way they heat and we have now a problem that walls  are cold and when it gets dark  we get a cold draft from them, nor do they heat prevalently as they used to.  So  this happens for about a month or two  before the walls are warm enough to hold the heat.  We seam to gotten over the worse now.

The loaf from last night.

20141206_082734_zps3c202f5b.jpg

• Like 2

image.jpg

image.jpg

This is a new bread for me. It is the white boule from Kathleen Weber's Della Fattoria.

• Like 2

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Nice work, Dave.

My 2004 eG Blog

This bread is truly amazing

http://www.foodlovermagazine.com/recipes/try-classic-russian-black-bread-recipe/5799

image.jpg

I admit to being slavishly in love with Diane Henry's recipes but this bread is so easy to make and has such complex flavors I shall become evangelistic about it. I made just half a recipe and used a stand mixer to knead the dough. At every step I thought this will never work. Mixing the rye flour with boiling water and then adding the sugar and yeast created a sludge that appeared to have no future. Adding coffee and cocoa and molasses and carrots seemed insane. But boy oh boy.....

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog