• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2014 –2015)

Shelby

Thanks.  Built-in scales sound good.

I'm still using my breadmaker when I need mixing/kneading (no-knead, I mix by hand now rather than wooden spoon).  If I'm *really* busy I'll let it run the whole cycle to finished bread.  Having built a special place for it in my new cabinet, though, and now that I'm mostly free-raising and oven-baking my bread, I'm almost wishing I had a food processor instead  :huh:

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

I use my breadmaker for mixing and kneading.  I have never used it for baking.  The Zojirushi has earned its place on the kitchen counter for almost twenty years of faithful service, and for almost twenty years of not buying store-bought bread -- long after the Kitchenaid has been banished to the living room.

But I can't imagine anything will make me want to move my Cuisinart.

I haven't baked in almost 24 hours, though I am about to go heat up half of last night's loaf for dinner.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

'retarding' and 'softening' white whole wheat for a bread machine Rx

I make decent toasting and sandwich bread in my plain vanilla sunbeam 'ElCheapo' bread machine

the Rx is about 200 gms White Whole Wheat, 300 gms White Bread Flour   ( TJ's is fine for me )

water  296 gms  salt and instant yeast   ( SAF from KAF ) and vital wheat gluten.

Ive tried to use the machine to mix the dough, let rise, then place in a plastic sealed bucket and leave in the refirg overnight to

ripen a bit.  then back in the machine to warm and rise.    i dont get enough rise and the top of the dough dries out no mater how

i try to cover and seal the baking container.

Im looking for a bit more flavor, a touch of sour, but not much more work for now.

is the dough to 'acid' in the Am for an additional rise ? would adding a bit of fresh inst yeast while the dough warms and rises help ?

should I just add all or part of the water to just the white whole wheat portion w all or part of the yeast, knead, cover and leave out on the counter and then add the 'rest' of the Rx and place in the mixing 'chamber' and start the full cycle in the AM ?

your thoughts and experience would be much appreciated.

Im looking for a bit more 'flavor' a bit more rise in the final loaf.

right now its quite a decent loaf for toast and sandwich w decent flavor and crumb after the 'regular' 3 hour

unattended, cycle.

rotuts, that looks like a low figure overall for water - you're just under 60% hydration.  That'll restrict the rise and expose the dough to more ready surface drying.  Do you know the gluten percentage of your flour, and how much gluten do you add?

A typical bread recipe starts with 67% hydration for 'strong bread flour' which might have 12-13% gluten or even more.  With flour of that strength you should be able readily to increase to over 70% hydration.  I make my own toast/sandwich bread at 71% water with flour that has only 11% gluten.  I like quite an open crumb.

I'm disappointed that my breadmaker doesn't have a programmable mode or any cycle with a rising time as long as I prefer:  so like you, I let the dough rise outside the machine, for flavour.

Edited by Blether (log)
  • Like 1

the Rx is right out of KAF for machine bread

296 water   496 total flour   1 1/2 tsp salt  1 T ist yeast  1 T vital wheat gluten

all done in a closed machine.   the top collapses a bit, but I dont mind as after it cools, I slice that part off and make croutons.

TJ's four has a higher than ave. gluten in the white bread    dont have the paper containers right now.

if I were to add more water, the bread while baking would collapse a bit more.

Ill post a pic of the 'straight machine bread' a little later as the Machine is making a loaf right now.

many thanks.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Those are beautiful, Matthew. I wish I were closer so I could buy them too!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

In the machine, total cycle ~4.5hrs if I let it run, I'll use about 1/2tsp.  Slow rise outside the machine (in summer, about 4.5hrs rising time), a bit less.  I haven't found a lower limit yet fo rthe yeast qty.

The machine-only rise is fine.  I've posted pics before.

Edited by Blether (log)

here is the 'Routine Loaf '  less than 2 min to measure and push start :

BMach at bake.jpg

bread after various 'rises' just at the Bake point

BMach baked.jpg

baked, still in the pan.

note the top 'collapse'  this is about a 1 1/2 lb loaf bakes at the 'whole wheat' setting, 2 lbs, dark

total time:  3 h. 40 min.  bake time 50 mins or maybe 1 hour.

BMach baked, out.jpg

bread out of the 'pan'  note the bit of collapse.  no big deal.  sometimes its a bit more

BMach done.jpg

Bread cooled and 'capped'  the cap usually goes for croutons.  in this case it made

a light and 'airy' 1/2 meatloaf sandwich.  I was hungry.

as I say this is fine for toast and sandwiches and croutons.  after all, < 2 min work !

Id like to add a bit more flavor for very little extra work;

Ill try just the 200 gms of white whole wheat, all the water ( warm ) and 1/2 the yeast for 

an 'overnighter' on the counter.  add the rest in the am and back to Plain vanilla cyle/

Edited by rotuts (log)

Hmm.  I could be wrong, he hedged, but that looks like very weak flour, to seem so wet a dough with such a small proportion of water.  Still, if it's good to eat, that's the main thing, right?

cant really say  here are the particulars I can find.  I use a heaping T of vital wheat gluten  ( B0b's)

http://www.thekitchn.com/product-review-trader-joes-all-87516

13.3 % for the white  ( blue bag ) the only white they carry

White whole wheat:

http://www.fooducate.com/app#page=product&id=B68F5B58-169F-11E0-BF92-FEFD45A4D471

KA:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/king-arthur-unbleached-bread-flour-5-lb

20140819_183934_zpsabbff054.jpg

A  two dough barley loaf, it sort of a quick version of sour dough, you start a barley  dough the night before with a little yeast and the next day you use this and more water, flour both barley and wheat and  make  dough.  This is just one of the two loafs I made.

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Barley is such a forgotten grain when it comes to the flour, not grits, pearls or sprouts those people know.  I think most people dont grab  a bag of fine milled barley for making white bread, but if they did they would find  something truly yummy.

I think we may yet see its revival. My local bulk store now carries stone ground barley flour, and it is a relatively new addition to their stock. I bought some a few weeks ago, together with spelt, kamut, dark rye, red fife wheat, buckwheat, amaranth, and teff. I experimented a lot with spelt and kamut in breads, in combination with whole wheat and strong white flour, and the loaves have been excellent. The barley and buckwheat were used in pancakes, and I loved the flavour.

I am on a rye kick right now, but I'm looking forward to trying the barley as well, it has great flavour. When you make barley bread, do you use it in combination with white flour, or whole wheat, or on its own?

I also bought some emmer (farro) grains from the grocery store. If I can figure out how to mill them at home, I will try them in loaf of bread.

I use  wheat ( plain flour)  as extra, just so the bread dont become too crumbly.  I am ponder to make  tunnbröd with barley ,  a thin bread that I love. Barley dumplings are yummy in soups and stews.

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

ahpadt,

Looks like it is coming along nicely.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Made more ciabatta using the Thermomix. My family seems to find it highly satisfactory since one loaf disappeared before I had a chance for a photo. Lovely, chewy, satisfying bread. My new favourite.

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna N your ciabatta looks wonderful. I aspire to have a loaf with those beautiful air pockets like yours! In the meantime my family is enjoying my practice.

Off topic but also wanted to say I just finished reading the Mantoulin thread last night. (I used to only lurk on pastry & baking). What a fantastic read, very inspiring. I am going to go backwards & read previous years! Thanks for putting in the work to document it all.

AnnaN :

what Rx do you use for the ciabatta ?

and how do you bake it ?  would it bake well in a BV-XL or CSB ?

rotuts,

You know I'm always happy to share recipes. This one however will not work in anything but the Thermomix. Nevertheless I will look it up again and post a link. I don't know about the CSB but promise to try it in the BV-XL next time.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna N your ciabatta looks wonderful. I aspire to have a loaf with those beautiful air pockets like yours! In the meantime my family is enjoying my practice.

Off topic but also wanted to say I just finished reading the Mantoulin thread last night. (I used to only lurk on pastry & baking). What a fantastic read, very inspiring. I am going to go backwards & read previous years! Thanks for putting in the work to document it all.

Thank you. Sure it's work but also loads of fun so long as members participate. Already making plans for October.

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog