• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2014 –2015)

Shelby

""  I had greased it adequately ""

what do you generally use for grease ?

Depends. If there is oil in the dough then I will use that oil to grease the pans. If the dough calls for butter as this one did, then I use butter. If there is no fat in the dough or if I think the dough will be particularly prone to sticking then I use Trader Joe's olive oil spray.

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Sometimes rolls make more sense then loaves for singletons. But I did not want a dozen so I chose a recipe and successfully halved it. It needed more than the usual attention while being kneaded in the Bosch i.e., more scraping down of the bowl and detaching dough from hook but otherwise it was a walk in the park.

• Like 4

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Sometimes rolls make more sense then loaves for singletons. But I did not want a dozen so I chose a recipe and successfully halved it. It needed more than the usual attention while being kneaded in the Bosch i.e., more scraping down of the bowl and detaching dough from hook but otherwise it was a walk in the park.

Anna, in this case, what is a Bosch?

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

Anna, in this case, what is a Bosch?

It is a small mixer click. Mine was a gift and came with all the accessories. I love it. My KA collects dust in the closet.

My 2004 eG Blog

It is a small mixer click. Mine was a gift and came with all the accessories. I love it. My KA collects dust in the closet.

Interesting, thanks.  I was not aware of this.

• 2 weeks later...

It is very hard to become enthusiastic about gluten-free bread recipes when a loaf like this is singing.

image.jpg

• Like 5

My 2004 eG Blog

On my second loaf from my new oven. So far so good. Potato bread and then a wheat loaf.

I'd made potato bread before but this was extra special this time. The dough was over-hydrated but what a happy accident: the toasted slices with a bit of cheese on top were like eating pierogies! Simply amazing. Two slices for breakfast would hold me to lunch.

• Like 1

Today I made some fruit buns based on paulpeggs easy focaccia dough outlined in post# 244 on Feb. 26. I increased the water a bit and added about 280 grams of raisins and dried cranberries. These are very, very good toasted with butter dripping into the nooks and crannies.

image.jpg

• Like 6

Today I made some fruit buns based on paulpeggs easy focaccia dough outlined in post# 244 on Feb. 26. I increased the water a bit and added about 280 grams of raisins and dried cranberries. These are very, very good toasted with butter dripping into the nooks and crannies.

Very cool idea. I think you could add just about anything to this dough. Some savory items like strips of proscuitto or small cubes of sausage or other cooked meats would work also. You could stick a small grape tomato in the middle for a flavor surprise.

Best regards,

Paul

• Like 1

Paul Eggermann

Vice President, Secretary and webmaster

Les Marmitons of New Jersey

Ann, the pans I use were these. I like them very much. They make hamburger size buns.

http://www.amazon.com/USA-Pans-Round-Panel-Wells/dp/B001QXW3Q4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431449647&sr=8-1&keywords=USA+hamburger+pan

Paul, I had not thought of savoury flavourings. As I am sitting here thinking about that, slivered sun dried tomatoes and cooked diced pancetta comes to mind.

I'm addicted to making these bread baguettes.... I'm selling them everyday... I have not gone to bed before midnight for the last two weeks.....

At what hour do you bake and sell if you stay up after midnight?

Even though I used ice water my current batch of dough was 84 deg F (29 deg C) after mixing.  I aim for 75-76 deg F.  Tonight's baguette is somewhat over proofed and not worth a picture.  Waiting for it to cool so I can eat.

They cool down over night, and I deliver in the morning.

I don't weigh or take temps of anything... [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]. I just do it and it comes out the same every time. I really have no clue about this over proof under proof stuff.

Edited by KingofBaguette (log)