• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2014 –2015)

Shelby

Yesterday I decided to make the Paulpegg recipe for easy focaccia. I do believe it is the least fussiest bread I have ever made. Total hands on time was maybe 5 minutes. I cut the recipe in half and baked it in a quarter sheet pan. Paul, thanks for sharing. It went nicely with the chili we had for supper.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

Yesterday I decided to make the Paulpegg recipe for easy focaccia. I do believe it is the least fussiest bread I have ever made. Total hands on time was maybe 5 minutes. I cut the recipe in half and baked it in a quarter sheet pan. Paul, thanks for sharing. It went nicely with the chili we had for supper.

That looks good to me! It goes especially well with spaghetti of any kind. You can put anything on top that you want. Try it with tomatoes, garlic and capers, or onions and olives. For a different approach boil 200 grams of potato in 600 grams of water and use the riced potato instead of the AP flour and the cooking water instead of plain water. You will probably have to add a little water to make it sticky enough to pour. This is certainly the least fussiest bread i make. It can be started at 1PM and be ready for dinner at 6.

Thanks for trying it.

• Like 2

Paul Eggermann

Vice President, Secretary and webmaster

Les Marmitons of New Jersey

Ann_T, that's beautiful!  Please help me understand more about the cubes.  Did you cube the cheese and the onions and add them during the mixing, proofing, or the final loaf-shaping stage, or is there more to the process than what I've just suggested?

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Smithy, I added both the cheese and the onions during the final shaping.   The onions were caramelized and the cheese was cut into small 1/4 to 1/2" cubes.  I covered the surface of the dough  with the onions and cheese and then  brought the top of the dough half over the filling.  Placed a little more cheese and onions over that and then continue shaping and sealing.  

The longer baguette had more of the cheese and onions.   Sliced this morning.

Gruyere%20and%20Caramelized%20Onion%20Ba

• Like 7

Ann_T, if I could reach through the screen and grab that bread and sandwich, I'd do so.  Luscious and lovely-looking, it is!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Thanks Smithy.   The sandwich was really good.

Sunday night I fed my starters, made a biga/preferment with the discard and on Monday mixed up a batch of sourdough rye and baked it later in the day.

Since I hadn't fed either of my starters in a few weeks, I decided to feed them once again Monday morning before putting them back into the fridge. Rather than throw out the discard or make another preferment, I just tossed 140 g of starter into one 500g batch of bread, and the remaining 140g of discard into a second 500g batch. But I also added one little gram of yeast to this mix, just in case. Both doughs went into the fridge for an overnight fermentation.

Took both out today , early afternoon. Baked two loaves from each batch.

This is the first time I've baked sourdough without making a preferment first.

Sourdough%20March%2010th%2C%202015%203-L

Sourdough%20March%2010th%2C%202015%201-L

Really happy with the crust, crumb and flavour.

• Like 7

Does anyone who frequents this thread make an "English Muffin Bread" loaf? We have tried one so far, and it was very good, but didn't really remind me of the taste of an English Muffin. Just want to be pointed in the direction of a recipe someone swears by. Thanks!

Well, it holds promise, if I don't screw it up again next time. I apparently looked at the clock wrong and mistimed the bake, resulting in a too-dark, too-tough crust and a too-dry crumb. (tested with a meat thermometer as the recipe suggested, and commenced cursing when the dial topped 190 and was still heading north....)

Flavor is good, though. I'll make the same recipe again today so I can have sandwiches with the rest of the corned beef I cooked last night.

rye bread.JPG

And can someone give me tips on forming a free-form boule? Mine always wind up too flat and broad. Think I may bake this next batch in a loaf pan.

• Like 2

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I make boules by pre-shaping with a quick 4 corner tuck, then flip, bench rest, then flip and fold in the 4 new corners, then flip seam down and gather under with your hands once or twice just so the top of the ball is taut before proofing. 

I have been playing with Tartine 3 for the past year , the no-knead method has had me stumped but last weekend the oat porridge and toasted almonds worked

I love the Chef Rubber Ducky propping up the bread!

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

• 2 weeks later...

A master loaf from Artisan Bread in Five Minutes A Day, my first time to make it. Lovely loaf.

bread.JPG

The other half of the batch made fougasse a day or so later. Topped with salami and grated Parmigiano and mozzarella, served with homecanned tomato sauce. (posted on "Dinner" thread as well).

bread and marinara.JPG

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I knead my bread dough by using an electric mixer, then proof the dough in the mixer (cover with a wet cloth). Since I have an oven so I have not bought any bread machine. So far, it works out well and the process is quite easy.

• Like 1

My name is KP Kwan. I am a pharmacist turned restaurateur who lives in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I have worked in my restaurant more than ten years and since year 2012.

I am also a food blogger.  You can read my blog at http://tasteasianfood.com/

I am looking forward to learning and contributing topics about culinary skills in this forum.

image.jpg

Inspired by Shelby I attempted to make English muffins. These are not too bad but lack the structure that I associate with muffins. I want those butter-thirsty holes and they are absent. My thought is that they need higher hydration.

• Like 7

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Indeed.  once you get the structure down correctly,

imagine how Absolutely Delicious these might be in the CSB

just saying

Tomases EM  ( on sale, very fresh ) in the CSB are beyond Devine.  Butter, 'crooks and crannies' Marmalade 

glad they dont go on sale very often

but I tell you this :  Serious Home Bread Bakers  ( S. of the Border, please ....  we Have more counter space it seems ...)

would all Swoooooooooon  with their Home Made in the CSB as Toast

and FD  I do not work for the CSB's

it seems to be a cult Item.  its not at BB&B nor at Bill Sonoma, on the shelf.

maybe i need to find a " stand by  in reverse  just in case "

better than a Slicer I thing.  the reserve thing....