• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2014 –2015)

Shelby

looks just fine to me, too chileheadmike!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

When you bake at least two loaves of sandwich bread every week a reliable and repeatable recipe is a bonus. On the other hand I am easily bored. These are two small loaves from Rose Levy Berenbaum.

image.jpg

Given the number of steps, her insistence that one must use one of three brand-name flours , none of which I have, this had better be ethereal!

• Like 3

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

My sour dough had gotten  black flies, I dont know the name of them but they big fat fly that appear   just before the cold,  so no  rye bread.  

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Hunting season is in full swing, so I made a batch of English muffins yesterday for breakfast sandwiches.

I forgot to add the salt  :angry:  they taste like old crackers.

I am beginning another batch as we speak.

The bad ones will soon be croutons.

• Like 1

image.jpg

A somewhat strangely shaped loaf. It is the Parmesan and black pepper bread from Patricia Wells and was meant to be baked in a 9 x 5 Pullman. I have no such pan but used a small sheet pan and a very very heavy brass cylinder to attempt to imitate such a pan. A set up such as I used stands witness to the power of yeast. 15 minutes into the bake the brass weight was shrugged off.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

Like rotuts I've never heard of these. I am very curious to know if they tolerate freezing. They seem like an ideal sandwich vehicle for a single person. Also I see there is a special appliance for making them but that they can also be made without the appliance. How did you make yours. Many thanks.

My 2004 eG Blog

Tigelle - My Near-Death Experience

About eight years ago I was delivering a sailing catamaran from South Africa to Croatia and after rounding the Foot of Italy we hit a severe storm and I made the decision to seek shelter and headed for the closest port, which was Brindisi. At the marina was a small restaurant and I and my crew went to explore what we could get to eat. It had a pizza brick oven and whilst sitting having glass of superb red wine, I watched the chef and owner baking small flat breads between two flat stones he had removed from the oven. The owner could speak a smattering of English and I commented to him that I had never seen English muffins baked that way. The guy went absolutely nuts, shouting "englees muffin, englees muffin, this tigelle you idiot, no englees muffin". He then went into the enclosed kitchen an returned seconds later with a rather large butchers style knife, shouting in Italian about tigelle and waving the knife at me - I thought my days were about to end! His wife then appeared out of the kitchen shouting at him whilst he kept shouting at her "englees muffin" with the arms waving and the knife still clutched in his hand whilst gabbling away in Italian.

Anyway, he eventually disappeared into the kitchen with a basket of his freshly baked tigelle and a few minutes later his wife returned with plates of tigelle and cured meats, salads and more wine, saying "Tigelle - eat, Mario cross with you because you call his tigelle englees muffin, dis tigelle!

Well, we stayed in Brindisi for six days and had "Tigelle", cured meats, salads and red wine for lunch every day. They tasted and looked exactly like English muffins to me - just baked between two hot stones! I gave his wife a large tuna we had caught the morning before we entered the port and the six days of lunch were on the house. Fortunately Mario calmed down and we ended being good friends.

Sorry Franci, they were delicious, but were just like English muffins. Yours also look superb! Did you bake them between stones or use another method? John

• Like 7

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Tigelle - My Near-Death Experience

About eight years ago I was delivering a sailing catamaran from South Africa to Croatia and after rounding the Foot of Italy we hit a severe storm and I made the decision to seek shelter and headed for the closest port, which was Brindisi. At the marina was a small restaurant and I and my crew went to explore what we could get to eat. It had a pizza brick oven and whilst sitting having glass of superb red wine, I watched the chef and owner baking small flat breads between two flat stones he had removed from the oven. The owner could speak a smattering of English and I commented to him that I had never seen English muffins baked that way. The guy went absolutely nuts, shouting "englees muffin, englees muffin, this tigelle you idiot, no englees muffin". He then went into the enclosed kitchen an returned seconds later with a rather large butchers style knife, shouting in Italian about tigelle and waving the knife at me - I thought my days were about to end! His wife then appeared out of the kitchen shouting at him whilst he kept shouting at her "englees muffin" with the arms waving and the knife still clutched in his hand whilst gabbling away in Italian.

Anyway, he eventually disappeared into the kitchen with a basket of his freshly baked tigelle and a few minutes later his wife returned with plates of tigelle and cured meats, salads and more wine, saying "Tigelle - eat, Mario cross with you because you call his tigelle englees muffin, dis tigelle!

Well, we stayed in Brindisi for six days and had "Tigelle", cured meats, salads and red wine for lunch every day. They tasted and looked exactly like English muffins to me - just baked between two hot stones! I gave his wife a large tuna we had caught the morning before we entered the port and the six days of lunch were on the house. Fortunately Mario calmed down and we ended being good friends.

Sorry Franci, they were delicious, but were just like English muffins. Yours also look superb! Did you bake them between stones or use another method? John

I think you should write a book.  I bet you have all sorts of interesting stories like this!  Thank goodness his wife intervened lol.

I re-did the english muffins that I made the other day.  This time I added the salt, but something else happened and they didn't rise hardly at all.  I think the temp. in my house was too cold.  Anyway, I think I'm going to say I made tigelle....... :biggrin:

• Like 1

Tigelle are know also as crescentine, tigella in reality is the pan. John, funny you had tigelle in Brindisi, because they are not typical from the area, in Brindisi they make wonderful "puccia". I know that well because I come from Taranto which just next to Brindisi. In the past tigelle were baked in between two terracotta molds, like this on Wikipedia but nowadays I think everybody use the cast iron pan...well, to be honest they are not well know outside the Modena/Reggio Emilia/Bologna areas. Some people also have an electric stone grill.

I have the 7 "holes" tigelliera here. It's cast iron. I'm sure you can make without but I'm not sure if they really come the same. I couldn't find the pan in the US on line.

The dough is just flour, salt, yeast and usually a fat (lard or oil) and milk (I use water), I let it rise, then roll it and use a round pasty cutter of the right size. Let rise again before cooking in the preheated pan. 3 minutes on one side, 2 on the other. The most typical way to eat them is with a lardo pesto. Reduce to a cream some Italian cured lardo with chopped garlic and rosemary.  But they are usually served with cold cuts and also nutella, for people who like that stuff.

Anna, I always freeze and defrost in the defrost function in the microwave, it's a quick and easy breakfast and snack for my children. And with 1 pound flour I get about 30 pieces. They don't keep well otherwise they are best cooked and eaten, that's why I freeze immediately, that way they are almost like fresh.

Also, some people like them hollow in the middle (like a small pita), just make them thinner before the 2nd rise.

• Like 6

I missed the appliance

ref?

these might be really really really ( etc ) good with Piping Hot, right out of the Pipping Hot fryer:

fried calamari

sauce Up To You !

I found the reference to an appliance while googling tigelle.

My 2004 eG Blog

Franci,

Thank you so much for your comprehensive answer.

My 2004 eG Blog

Franci, thanks for your explanation. I had never seen or heard of tigelle before Brindisi and never after leaving, until your post. The stones Mario was using could have been terracotta, I do not know as I never wanted to venture into the subject after my first clash with him and his weapon of choice. They were served warm but there was no pesto, just the best cold cuts I have ever tasted - the flavour intensity was tremendous, something I have never experienced other than in Italy. Also, the city of Brindisi was remarkable with all its marble paving and buildings. I do not know if Mario and his wife were from the area or not, but they cooked the most brilliant meals and also made the best pizza I have ever tasted, ultra thin base with minimal topping, but with incredible intense flavour from the toppings. John.

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

20141115_130902_zps6273abd2.jpg

I love this recipe, easy to use and I will double it,  yes I had a change something around,  like the amount of yeast, if I added 2  Swedish dry  yeast satchels , that would  100 gram of fresh and that would make for a very very yeasty dough. But on the whole,  if I get to do this alone, no kid screaming her head of because she is tired and doesnt want to sleep, I  will get lovely proper bagels.

• Like 1

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Hello Im New to this Forum ! Thanks For The Invite !

Been Recently trying to cook my own bread in a bread maker i was given. 

I have no instructions with it, so I have been experimenting. The breadmaker is Tiffany -Model No. BM-838.The loaf has been rising up to three quarters of the way in the cooking but then starts sinking.  I' d love to know what's the problem

I got my recipe from the internet .

What's the reason,appreciate some help.

Thanks once again

Margaret