• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2014 –2015)

Shelby

image.jpg

image.jpg

Needed to kill two birds with one stone! Wanted a slice or two of bread to go into a romesco sauce and needed to check out a borrowed deep pie plate so I could return it. Pane di Genzano. (Toasted it also made a fine breakfast.)

• Like 4

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

We have a new specialty store in the area - Scoops Natural Foods where I can buy grain and have it milled on site.   

Whole%20Wheat%20September%207th%2C%20201

Whole%20Wheat%20September%207th%2C%20201

So I decided to try making Whole Wheat bread.

Rather than find a recipe I just adjusted my normal bread - 500g whole wheat (Heritage Organic stoneground Red Fife, 500g white, 80g of muilt grain (11 grains), 700 g water, 4 g yeast and 26g salt.  

I added the multi grain mix to the water , in the bucket , and let it sit for 20 minutes before mixing in the flours. Left to rest (autolyze) for 30 minutes before mixing in the yeast and  salt. Left to rest again for 20 minutes before finishing with the pinch and folds.

I did three more folds over the next 60 minutes before placing the dough in the fridge for an overnight rise.

Took the dough out of the fridge at 5:30 AM.

I'm very pleased with the way the whole wheat bread turned out. Not bad for a first try.

The rise was good, even in the fridge overnight the dough more than tripled. It was easy to work with - and it was proofed in less than an hour. Baked in preheated dutch ovens.

Whole%20Wheat%20Tomato%20Sandwich%20Sept

Hungry husband so I made him a tomato sandwich.
  • Like 7

Ann_T,

Your whole wheat looks and sounds great. Unfortunately my family is against anything with whole wheat! This always amuses me. For some years they would eat nothing but whole wheat and that from the supermarket. I could never enjoy a sandwich at their house because it was like filling between two egg cartons! Oh well.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, I must confess, I'm not a fan of whole wheat either.   But this bread turned out well and Moe really liked it.  (Unfortunately).  So, I'll continue to play around experimenting with WW.    I think the next batch of WW will be made with organic hard white winter wheat, rather than the Red Fife.

Small%20Boules%20September%2011th%2C%202

Meanwhile, I made another batch of my basic daily bread on Wednesday.

Shaped as small boules instead of baguettes. The perfect size for two to share.

Small%20Boules%20September%2011th%2C%202

Really  happy with the crumb on this bread made from 'same day' dough.

• Like 4

Ann,

Your breads are always amazing! I love the idea of the small boules.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Two loaves of rustic potato bread from Baking with Julia.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

How do you like this bread, Anna?

It is a flavourful loaf with a somewhat more sturdy crumb than found in white sandwich bread. Toasts beautifully. It will go into my regular rotation but of course depends on having about three large russet potatoes on hand for two loaves. I don't keep potatoes on hand but buy them as needed so this will likely limit the number of times I make this bread. I would not attempt it without a stand mixer and it definitely stretched the limits of my compact Bosch. I might attempt a half recipe next time.

image.jpg

Here's the crumb.

Edited to add photograph.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, I like the texture/crumb of your potato bread.  Looks like it would be perfect for sandwiches.

I'm so boring, I tend to make the same style of bread, with slight variations.  I need to do what you do and add a couple of new breads to the rotation. 

Baked sourdough last night.

Sourdough%20September%2014th%2C%202014%2

I made a biga Saturday morning before leaving for work and hand kneaded the dough Saturday night. It went into the fridge until Sunday afternoon. Moe took the bucket out of the fridge around 3:00 PM so that I would be able to bake Sunday night.

• Like 2

It is a flavourful loaf with a somewhat more sturdy crumb than found in white sandwich bread. Toasts beautifully. It will go into my regular rotation but of course depends on having about three large russet potatoes on hand for two loaves. I don't keep potatoes on hand but buy them as needed so this will likely limit the number of times I make this bread. I would not attempt it without a stand mixer and it definitely stretched the limits of my compact Bosch. I might attempt a half recipe next time.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Here's the crumb.

Edited to add photograph.

Thanks, Anna. Being from PA Dutch lines, I love potato breads. This looks like a good bread for "messy" sandwiches and toast. I have the book, and will try it.

Can I add crackers here?

I just tried the life changing crackers, while I didn't really care for this blog life changing bread regardless the 1200 answers to a post!, I really really liked these crackers. Also gluten free. I think that with some cheese, cold cuts or smoked fish are just awesome. 

life changing crackers.jpeg

• Like 6

I have been making the Cook's Illustrated Mostly-No-Knead Bread for some time--the first rise is 18 hours or more, then after a quick folding and slight kneading, the second rise is in a bowl lined with parchment, so that the loaf can easily be transferred to the 500F. preheated pot with cover.  Oven temp is lowered to 425F., bread is baked for 30 minutes, then cover is removed, and baking continues for 15-20 min. until the internal temp of the loaf is around 200F.  I remove the loaf from the pot and cool it on a rack.  The taste is acceptable, and the look of the outside is beautiful.  But when I cut the bread, it does not have that crackle that it looks as if it will have.  It's actually difficult to cut, as the exterior of the loaf is quite flexible.  I think I recall that this same recipe produced a loaf with a crunchy exterior some time ago, and I am not aware of any changes I have made.  The second baking period lasted only about 15 minutes yesterday, the loaf had reached 200F., and I didn't want to overbake.  Is it possible I am just not leaving it in the oven long enough and the bread is therefore softening as it sits?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Shelby, just as a matter of interest, can you let me know the diameter and height of your rings? I want to get my pan manufacturer to knock out some for me as they are not readily available here. John.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

The rings are 11 3/4 inches around and 1" tall, John.

I purchased them here just in case you want to look:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/english-muffin-rings-set-of-12

Thanks for that. Had to do some maths to get that in metric - 95mmø x 25mm. Most appreciated.

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

Oh sorry John!!!! I forgot to convert it :blush:

Ha, did not expect you to! It now gives me a better idea as to size - they are quite big. English muffins available here are a bit smaller and a bit thinner, but I have not bought them for years, so I will have to go and visit one of the upperclass supermarkets with my little tape measure to see what is available these days. Thanks for posting the pic - it now gives me the incentive to make them myself. John.

• Like 1

image.jpg

My current standard sandwich bread. It is from Cook's illustrated and seems to be pretty foolproof. I always get good loft with it.

• Like 6

My 2004 eG Blog

My current standard sandwich bread. It is from Cook's illustrated and seems to be pretty foolproof. I always get good loft with it.

Anna,

If the information is handy, could you let me know the issue of CI in which this appeared?  I've been using a recipe from the Fannie Farmer cookbook, but the results are erratic and the flavor is rather plain.  Thanks.

Anna,

If the information is handy, could you let me know the issue of CI in which this appeared?  I've been using a recipe from the Fannie Farmer cookbook, but the results are erratic and the flavor is rather plain.  Thanks.

Jim,

I have sent you a P.M.

My 2004 eG Blog